Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Death Camp Jigsaw Puzzle

• 30-09-2012 5:10pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I expect this to be VERY soon withdrawn:
    ONLINE RETAIL GIANT Amazon has come under fire over the sale of a jigsaw puzzle that recreates the crematorium at the Nazi death camp of Dachau, a media report said Sunday.
    “This is a real slap in the face for concentration camp survivors and relatives of victims,” conservative politician Gerda Hasselfeldt wrote in a letter to Amazon that was cited by Der Spiegel.

The 252-piece puzzle, being sold for 19.33€ (around €20), is sold as suitable for children aged eight and over.

http://www.thejournal.ie/amazon-jigsaw-puzzle-dachau-616926-Sep2012/

I would personally consider it poor taste to make the place into a jigsaw for two reasons.
    1. To help make a company profits via the deaths of hundreds of thousands and
    2. How is making an image of a death camp considered now a good fun time game/puzzle?
    Just strange and perhaps very poor taste.
    Amazon no doubt will withdraw the item shortly – that I have no doubts about.

The bright spark that came up with this idea might be looking for a new position in the company!
    One where he might be able to hide at out of embarrassment?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Is it made by a german company?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Much ado about nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Jew really wonder what these companies do be thinking! :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Much ado about nothing

To be or not to be?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Do people still do jigsaws?

Boring shit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭Madam Marie

Surely you're only supposed to use the sad face thread icon if someone has hurt an animal, in much the same way as how the angry face thread icon is reserved for pedo related threads, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

notnumber wrote: »

Probably in all honesty but I posted about it here to see others 'take' on it.

Its not even exactly what could be considered a good picture of something interesting or visually appealing (which could be better found elsewhere of course).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Ristiano Conaldo

I did nazi that coming

• Advertisement

Are you guys serious? That dacha and Dachau have no relation to each other.

Looking at the name of the puzzle it's almost as if somebody just went through the Robert Harding database and just clicked off a load of photos to have puzzles automatically generated for them. "Robert Harding puzzle" gives 24000 results in Amazon. I'd say this was just a mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

so is this more or less offensive than a jigsaw of mohammed?

It's a jigsaw ffs, not a recruitment leaflet for the Nazi party. Plenty of jigsaws exist of other bloody and historical scenes. I remember having a puzzle depicting the Battle of Gettysburg as a kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

I'd say the type of person who would enjoy putting this jigsaw together is the type of person who would deny the holocaust ever happened making the jigsaw a bit redundant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The most annoying thing is that there's bound to be a piece missing = flashbacks to a depressing childhood.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Anything that keeps the memory of these places alive is a good thing in my book.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

A historical picture that is turned into a jigsaw? Nothing to see here folks.

It's a jigsaw ffs, not a recruitment leaflet for the Nazi party. Plenty of jigsaws exist of other bloody and historical scenes. I remember having a puzzle depicting the Battle of Gettysburg as a kid.

For discussion purposes ONLY - not to be adversarial, I say the following:

The likes of a Battle of Gettysburg jigsaw might be seen as a part celebratory image as the eventually win and subsequent effect(s) which that battle brought, could be seen as a positive - not just as a complete negative?

(Also maybe partly to do with victors getting to write history - but thats another whole big topic)

On a lighter note (Christmas 13/14 weeks away) who would want to give a jigsaw puzzle of three death ovens, away to someone as a gift?

Each to their own I suppose?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

People look to get offended at anything.

Politicians pretending to be offended at something in order win votes piss me off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

thats gas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Dachau wasn't a death camp.

loobylou wrote: »
    Dachau wasn't a death camp.

Officially it was a concentration camp.
    Sadly for an estimated 77,000 lives that died there, it very much unofficially was a death camp for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Biggins wrote: »
    On a lighter note (Christmas 13/14 weeks away) who would want to give a jigsaw puzzle of three death ovens, away to someone as a gift?

Each to their own I suppose?

It's an unusual item to sell to say the least, but I remember as a kid "cowboys and Indians" was a popular game with costumes sold for kids to dress up and play a game that turned genocide and ethnic cleansing into a bit of a laugh.

People still give their kids military toys like tanks and fighters and bombers to play with. Is it any different? :confused:

Because while the Germans threw humans into ovens, the British and the Americans turned cities into ovens (with their airpower).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

You've the right to sell anything that is yours, that isn't committing a crime by doing so. Can't the people that are so offended just not buy it. Start a campaign if they like too.

Faith in humans minuscule.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    It's an unusual item to sell to say the least, but I remember as a kid "cowboys and Indians" was a popular game with costumes sold for kids to dress up and play a game that turned genocide and ethnic cleansing into a bit of a laugh.

People still give their kids military toys like tanks and fighters and bombers to play with. Is it any different? :confused:

Because while the Germans threw humans into ovens, the British and the Americans turned cities into ovens (with their airpower).

I think (and I'm throwing this out there for consideration) that it seems to be more acceptable that actual battles of warfare are more open to be celebrated due to their being winners and benefits of such wins?

The utter sadness and killing of non-combatants in such large scale is still seen as a sensitive area for not just people by maybe a whole modern country or two.

I think (and I'm throwing this out there for consideration) that it seems to be more acceptable that actual battles of warfare are more open to be celebrated due to their being winners and benefits of such wins?

The utter sadness and killing of non-combatants in such large scale is still seen as a sensitive area for not just people by maybe a whole modern country or two.

What about this? - http://www.amazon.com/B-29-Enola-Gay-scale-model/dp/B0006N1PXM/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1349023674&sr=1-1&keywords=Atomic+bomb

That's the plane that was used to murder about 200,000 non-combatants in Japan. No such outrage over that being sold though.

I agree with you, hence my point about people giving their kids bombers to play with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭PC CDROM

I prefer this. Like if you are going to cause controversy...

http://blog.balder.org/?p=880

Copy/Model of Auschwitz main gate allegedly made of gold teeth from Jews

What about this? - http://www.amazon.com/B-29-Enola-Gay-scale-model/dp/B0006N1PXM/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1349023674&sr=1-1&keywords=Atomic+bomb

That's the plane that was used to murder about 200,000 non-combatants in Japan. No such outrage over that being sold though.

All true.

We can only put it down to those people/countries involved and their particular sensitive feelings on the matter.

Some clearly are of a different outlook.

Myself although I would not rush out to buy such a jigsaw, I wouldn't start taking a position that just because some would hate them, they should be destroyed.
    That was the route Hitler eventually took with the burning of books.

PC CDROM wrote: »
    I prefer this. Like if you are going to cause controversy...

http://blog.balder.org/?p=880

Copy/Model of Auschwitz main gate allegedly made of gold teeth from Jews

Now that's macabre!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Zab wrote: »

Lots of brick coloured pieces. But the corners should be easy to find.

As a side note, I remember hearing that the crematoria were never used there. Or maybe it was just the gas chambers. I was there as a teenager, but that was over 20 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Jigsaw puzzle addicts don't even care what the picture is, all they see is jigsaw peices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

You make a good point about other jigsaw pictures.
    But the death camps of world war 2 were the largest mass murder in human history. Its in very bad taste for the picture to be that of the crematorium. Many people had a horrific death then just tossed inside to be burned to ashes.

I guess it would be like having a jigsaw of the twin towers. But instead of a nice normal picture of them remembering 911. The completed image shows a plane about to hit it.... its all about taste :P

But the death camps of world war 2 were the largest mass murder in human history.

That's highly disputable.

Indeed.
    Stalin has alone reported killed through the use of his once gulags in Siberia.
    The numbers he killed in those alone was 1.7 million.
    The total deaths cause by Stalin is numbered now at least 6 million combined, through his very own orders and personal instigated methods.
    It wasn't till Nikita Khrushchev made a brave speech in his home country that his predecessor was exposed.
    February 25th 1956, he made whats considered one of the bravest speeches (4 hours long) in the world of politics telling the world of what had happened and how so.

Mao Zedong's "Great Leap Forward".

Somewhere between 20,000,000-43,000,000 murdered.

The holocaust of the natives of the Americas by Europeans is estimated to be around 100,000,000.

• Advertisement

Why would amazon be in trouble about it? They're not the ones making it

bluewolf wrote: »
    Why would amazon be in trouble about it? They're not the ones making it

Pressure groups target the big brand to publicise their own cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I would buy one. It's an interesting scene. Morbid, perhaps, but interesting nonetheless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Stalin would have given them a run for their money, and Pol Pot and Mao were bad too of course, but I think despite the numbers not quite reaching their heights that Hitler's crime still comes across as the most chilling.

The amount of ingenuity, innovation and planning; the labour and expense that were poured into it, the amount of unremarkable bureaucrats and civil servants slaving away in untold offices, the extra railways, the computerisation of it all using IBM analytical machines, the sheer single minded focus on thorough extermination while trying to shield what was a massive state undertaking from the public in as far as was deemed practical - it still floors me.

Stalin was no saint (obviously!) and he would probably have comfortably beaten Hitler on points even without the massive famines in the Ukraine and the grain shortages and the many millions of dead that resulted from the inefficiencies of a centrally planned economy in the pre-networked era; I think that the tendency in history in recent years has been to paint those famines as genocidal acts that bump up a score built over the course of a career that lasted decades as opposed to the side effects of incredibly misguided blunders wrought by an uncaring system and magnified by a lack of negative feedback travelling back up the chain of command; the holocaust was more of a single calculated project which makes it all the more inhuman and evil.

(assuming your "highly disputable" here refers to the relative magnitudes of 20th century genocide rather than a reluctance to believe it all took place to begin with, that is.)

The puzzle is now gone. I really do think this was just a mistake by the company due to the sheer number of pictures the were processing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

2. How is making an image of a death camp considered now a good fun time game/puzzle?

The average person to consider jigsaws "fun times" are also the kind of people who are fascinated by history......

I'd be curious too.

CruelCoin wrote: »
    The average person to consider jigsaws "fun times" are also the kind of people who are fascinated by history......

I'd be curious too.

You'd be curious about what it's like to do a jigsaw of Dachau?

I'd be curious too.

Google a picture and save a few quid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Zab wrote: »
    You'd be curious about what it's like to do a jigsaw of Dachau?

Why not?

To ignore the history surrounding the camp and "lets pretend it never happened" is to my mind more insulting than the image itself.

In order to improve on the past, you must first know what happened in the past. Plastering over it helps nobody bar the terminally oversensitive

Why not?

To ignore the history surrounding the camp and "lets pretend it never happened" is to my mind more insulting than the image itself.e

Ignore the history? Pretend it didn't happen? Who said anything about doing any of that?

This conversation is silly. The jigsaw was decidedly odd. Now it's gone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement