Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

450 Mbps Wifi Router only giving a transfer rate of 6.5 mb/sec

Options
  • 30-09-2012 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I just bought a Cisco Linksys EA4500 Wifi N900 router and accompanying Linksys USB Wireless Adapter.

I've initiated a transfer to a hard drive (Seagate Go Flex Home 1TB) which is connected to the router through a Gigabye LAN cable. Both devices support GB Lan.

My data transfer rate is only 6.5mb/sec and I was expecting in the 40-50 region.

Wifi signal strength is "Excellent".

Any suggestions for things to check?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

6mbit or 6MB/s?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    6mbit or 6MB/s?

6 megabytes a sec

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Try the computer wired instead of wireless just for testing and see if it still does the same. Also the router might be broadcasting wireless on the wrong network channel. There should be three options b,g and n. Switch the modem to N. This is needed for faster data transfers. Might also need to turn on other settings in the modem but let me know how that goes

areyawell wrote: »
    Try the computer wired instead of wireless just for testing and see if it still does the same. Also the router might be broadcasting wireless on the wrong network channel. There should be three options b,g and n. Switch the modem to N. This is needed for faster data transfers. Might also need to turn on other settings in the modem but let me know how that goes

Thanks for your suggestions.

The Wireless is broadcasting using N, with WPA2 Personal/AES encryption (which I've read is required).

I'm focusing on Wifi only as that's what I'm going to use.

Could USB 2.0 be the bottleneck here?

John_Mc wrote: »
    6 megabytes a sec

6 MB/s is 6x8 = 48 megabit (cos theres 8 bits in a byte) which is a great speed to be getting over wireless, nothing is wrong

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    6 MB/s is 6x8 = 48 megabit (cos theres 8 bits in a byte) which is a great speed to be getting over wireless, nothing is wrong

I paid €180 for a 450 Mbps router though so it's not good.

I should be getting 40-50 mb/sec which would be good

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

John_Mc wrote: »
    I paid €180 for a 450 Mbps router though so it's not good.

I should be getting 40-50 mb/sec which would be good

Eh, don't believe the marketing BS, go faster stripes. The speeds quoted are highly optimistic and only achievable in a lab environment with no interference. Real life speeds are many times less. Actual wireless "g" speed tops out at about 28-30mbit so by getting 48mbit you're not doing too bad. Also, you may not think it, but file transfer is two way traffic, it uses TCP, where packets are sent in batches (windowing), and an acknowledgement must be received before more are sent. Wireless is half duplex, it uses the same spectrum to send and receive so it can only do one at a time, not both (full duplex) like a cable can. 48mbit is doing OK.

Bottom line is, wireless is crap for file transfer, media streaming etc. best run a cable to anything static and keep the wireless for mobility only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

To get 900Mbits/sec on 802.11n you need many, many , things...

1 - 3 Transmitter antennas operating at 2.4GHz
    2 - 3 Transmitter antennas operating at 5GHz
    3- 3 receiver antennas operating at 2.4GHz
    4 - 3 receiver antennas operating at 5GHz
    5 - none of the signals/antennas interfering with each other
    6 - no 802.11a/b/g devices on the network
    7 - 1 wireless client. If >1 , even if they are doing nothing, they will consume bandwidth b/c of the way the mac operates
    8 - TCP window tuned to suit your environment
    9 - and this envirionment needs to be ...client less than 3m from wireless access point(router)
    10- first sunday after the first full moon after the vernal equinox...

Apart from #10, if you satisfy all of the above criteria & are only getting 48mbits/sec, then you should ask for your money back.

Otherwise, you are doing quite well...

-FoxT

Advertisement