Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

C1 RATING

• 30-09-2012 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Im just looking for some advise on a ber rating,im in the middle of buying a house at the moment,the seller got a ber cert for the house last week ant it is a c1 rating.i dont know much about this soim looking for some help in telling me if this is a good rating.It is a 4 bed bungolow,1800 sq feet.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

The C1 rating means that the house may use approximately somewhere between 27,000 and 31,500 kWhr of energy per year for heating, hot water and lighting. Then again it may use more or less than this. As a reference 1 litre of oil equates approximately to 10Whrs.

An A or B rating would be better, a D or E rating would be worse on paper. The real truth won't be known until you live in it or at least get your own experienced energy professional to do a full heatloss survey (not a ber).

• Subscribers Posts: 41,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Milltown17 wrote: »
    Im just looking for some advise on a ber rating,im in the middle of buying a house at the moment,the seller got a ber cert for the house last week ant it is a c1 rating.i dont know much about this soim looking for some help in telling me if this is a good rating.It is a 4 bed bungolow,1800 sq feet.

A C1 rating would be pretty standard for a house built between 2004-2008ish.
    when was the house built?

the rating is simply used to compare houses.

Like having two washing machines, one A rated and another B rated. If the B rated one is used once a day and the A rated is used three times a day, the A rated will use more energy, but less pro rata.

Similarly with houses, pro rata a house thats C1 will used less energy than a D rated... but the actual energy use is dependent on occupants habits and preferences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Like having two washing machines, one A rated and another B rated. If the B rated one is used once a day and the A rated is used three times a day, the A rated will use more energy, but less pro rata.

Similarly with houses, pro rata a house thats C1 will used less energy than a D rated... but the actual energy use is dependent on occupants habits and preferences.

Hi Syd,
    I don't want to take this off topic, but this is the issue I have with the BER system in that what you say above should be the way it works but we all know it's not.

If it were then, if you have 2 identically rated houses occupied by the same number of occupants who have exactly the same habits and preferences, the energy bills would be the same (within reason). Imo, this will rarely be the case because of the very large variations in location, house design & especially build quality not to mention the arbitrary nature of the BER survey itself. Washing machines are made in factories with quality controls, etc and using this to explain the BER rating system is not correct imo.

agreed mick, but there must be limitations set as to what the BER scheme can do and what it cant do.

If it included blower door test, thermal imaging, thermal bridge calculations, invasive surveys etc it would simply cost too much to make it a viable system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Kittycorc

Hi, does anyone know what the BER rating is like for Boroimhe Hazel in Swords?

Thanks a mill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,390 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Kittycorc wrote: »
    Hi, does anyone know what the BER rating is like for Boroimhe Hazel in Swords?

Thanks a mill
    And I was just about to ask if anyone knew where Lord Lucan went to. :pac:

You will have to pay for one for a specific property and not request comment on a general estate.

muffler wrote: »
    And I was just about to ask if anyone knew where Lord Lucan went to. :pac:

You will have to pay for one for a specific property and not request comment on a general estate.

not necessary to pay for one to find out the rating, but you will need either the BER number or the MPRN number of the specific dwelling.

see here
    https://ndber.seai.ie/pass/ber/search.aspx

Advertisement