Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your opinion on UFC?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Honestly, anyone who thinks that contemporary MMA is just unbridled savagery hasn't bothered to do any research.

That said, the sport hasn't helped itself by its early history and bigging up the 'barely any rules' mentality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

geeky wrote: »
    Honestly, anyone who thinks that contemporary MMA is just unbridled savagery hasn't bothered to do any research.

That said, the sport hasn't helped itself by its early history and bigging up the 'barely any rules' mentality.

Fair enough point BUT the majority aren't aware of the skills necessary to execute a takedown and then close the fight out. And TBH once a fight goes to the floor there's not a lot of excitement to the layman and you could feel aggrieved if you just shelled out on PPV for it....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Gauss

This is simple IMO.

A tennis player will lose playing a professional snooker player and vice versa.

Put an mma same weight fighter in a boxing ring with mayweather and he gets knocked out fast.

Put mayweather in with a same weight mma fighter in the octagon and he loses. Simple as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i am just after seeing this thread and presumed it would go the way it did......
    a lot of people talking and very few making sense. if you were a real fan of either you would be able to appreciate the merits of both sports. they aren't mutually exclusive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

I'm a massive mma fan, I would consider it to be my 2nd favourite sport these days behind footie. I've actually considered training quite a few times and regret not doing so when i was younger.

Started off having it on in the background while playing cards on a Sunday evening about 8 years ago and just grew to love it. I was never a combat sport fan before so the image of the fans as blood thirsty savages doesn't really fit well with me or any of my friends.

I love the sense of tension in the fights were they can be finished within a matter of seconds with a headkick or a smooth submission. Of course there are boring aspects or boring fights but try and name any sport that doesn't have these aspects...believe me I'm an Aston Villa fan!

Anyways, I hope more people take the time to try and understand the sport a bit better and can learn to apreciate it a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Cage fighting. My dad is a big boxing fan but he doesn't like UFC. He says it is savagry and that boxing is science. He also says that no UFC fighter could compete with the science of a Flyod Mayweather. He says it is human cock fighting.

What you think? UFC good or bad?

I dont like UFC but largely because it's not savage enough. The advertisements and montage music videos they put out make it look really exciting but every fight degenerates into two fellas in their underwear rolling around on the ground together after 30 seconds.
    If it's sport you're after, boxing is probably the way to go. If it's sheer spectacle you want then wrestling will do the job. UFC falls between two stools and manages to get the worst of both worlds.
    Still, for those who enjoy it I say let them at it. Wouldn't advocate banning it or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

The advertisements and montage music videos they put out make it look really exciting

Correct.
    but every fight degenerates into two fellas in their underwear rolling around on the ground together after 30 seconds

Wrong.
    UFC falls between two stools and manages to get the worst of both worlds.

Wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Anyone who thinks MMA is unskilled or mindless savagery knows **** all about martial arts and should keep their ignorant opinions to themselves.

MMA is a modern form of pankration, the original fighting sport of the Ancient Greek Olympics

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

"Human cock fighting" - a phrase that dates back to the John McCain crusade against the UFC, back before the unified rules of MMA were implemented, and also from the time his wife's family was the owner of one of the largest distributors of Budweiser in the US, which was also the main sponsor of boxing which was losing interest to the emerging sport of MMA.

So the phrase was coined by a politician with a clear conflict of interest, plus the sport now is completely different now that it was then, so for somebody to still use that phrase would seem to indicate their entire knowledge of MMA comes from sensationalist tabloids or even worse, as somebody else posted... Joe Duffy*!

As to Mayweather, as others have pointed out - he would win at boxing, but lose at MMA, quite simple really.

Funny I reckon most of the Joe Duffy brigade that would be against MMA would probably happily sit down and watch a hurling match and end up screaming for blood, but somehow that's all good decent "tough" sports??

*Seriously do people just ring Joe Duffy and make up whatever crap they want, and he just goes along with it???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

No offence but you don't have a clue.

How easy do you think it is to knock someone out when they charge at your waist?

Boxers have spoken out on this already and all admit thay would have little chance against an MMA fighter in a cage.

Fights against wrestlers would likely go like this

and James Toney was a great boxer.

Fights against kickboxers would likely go like this

The sport v sport argument is stupid as they are different sports but this fight was beyond a joke, James Toney had not been good in Boxing for years before this MMA fight which he didn't even train for, also Dana White comes from Boxing so was well aware that Toney's style even in peak would be a disaster v a wrestler as he was not known for footwork needed to avoid takedowns if a Boxer was to have a chance, This fight was selected as an easy fight for a wrestler and a big enough name that they could make it out to be credible.

For an untrained in MMA Boxer to be able to do well in MMA he would need to have fast feet, reflexes and power to knock his opponent out, Standing terms Boxers would run amok in MMA, This i have no doubt but staying standing is too difficult so realistically it would end up on the ground in most cases.

And a good Boxer beats a good Kickboxer most times.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭theboxingclinic

People are just repeaters, it is highly embarrassing, someone says Mma is human cock fighting or has no rules etc so I will repeat it without verification, it's embarrassing really.
    To put any sport down is a disgrace, not enough people are participating in sports and most people here with negative comments probably do very little for there health. Every sport that keeps kids healthy and out if trouble should be celebrated. You should all be ashamed of yourselves for your ignorant childish comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

A very high proportion of people in this thread seem to be worried about some kind of "gay" aspect, or perception.

Take a cock lads, you'll probably enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

What you think? UFC good or bad?

I like their broadband but their customer service is shocking.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 373 ✭✭Internet Hero

Here's a question I've been thinking about actually. If Mighty Mouse Jognson fought a boxer like Tyson or Lewis etc in an MMA bout how do you think that would go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

Its ok, would rather prisoners fighting to the death with swords and spears but shur maybe some day...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Here's a question I've been thinking about actually. If Mighty Mouse Jognson fought a boxer like Tyson or Lewis etc in an MMA bout how do you think that would go?

Pretty pointless considering Tyson was a Heavyweight and Mighty Mouse is less than 9 stone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Isn't Mighty mouse a 155 pound fighter?I would say the size difference would be too big.

Remmy wrote: »
    Isn't Mighty mouse a 155 pound fighter?I would say the size difference would be too big.

Actually he's only 125 pounds and only 5'3" in height!

• Advertisement

RainMaker wrote: »
    Remmy wrote: »

Actually he's only 125 pounds and only 5'3" in height!

But could he still TD a boxer and break him up in the ground even if it was a Tyson type character? The question is interesting to me because it makes me wonder if a strength advantage and striking a ility could best a technical martial artist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

But could he still TD a boxer and break him up in the ground even if it was a Tyson type character? The question is interesting to me because it makes me wonder if a strength advantage and striking a ility could best a technical martial artist.
    There's guys kind of like Tyson, Vitor Belfort comes to mind.

He likes hitting people, he has a good ground game which allows him to strike like that.

ScumLord wrote: »
    There's guys kind of like Tyson, Vitor Belfort comes to mind.

He likes hitting people, he has a good ground game which allows him to strike like that.

Ah yeah man I'm a big Vitor fan actually, thought he'd tap Jones! But what I mean is could a guy talented in "fighting" as in being a UFC champ, beat a much stronger dude in a MMA bout despite a strength advantage. That's where the the real MMA v boxing debate is.

Might be worth checking out this fight so! :D

Part 1:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Two shirtless men engaged in a bout of sweaty dick punching isn't really my thing, but to each their own.
    I guess.

Ah yeah man I'm a big Vitor fan actually, thought he'd tap Jones! But what I mean is could a guy talented in "fighting" as in being a UFC champ, beat a much stronger dude in a MMA bout despite a strength advantage. That's where the the real MMA v boxing debate is.
    It happened in the early days but they're to evenly matched theses days.

You still get tall lanky guys fighting short powerful guys, Lanky is usually the best shape for a fighter because you can keep the opponent at distance with your range but that doesn't seem as true in MMA. The rounds are to long to realistically keep a guy away from you and it seems to be a toss up whether power is more important than long limbs in submissions.

Two shirtless men engaged in a bout of sweaty dick punching isn't really my thing, but to each their own.
    I guess.

Another one of the "I'm afraid I might catch homosexuality" brigade :D

Another one of the "I'm afraid I might catch homosexuality" brigade :D

Well, it's a bit late for that.

But please, feel free to get all upset when people don't like what you like. You'll go far in life, kid.

I guess.
    MMA rules state that's illegal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed_martial_arts_rules#Fouls

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Correct.

Wrong.

Wrong.

None of the videos on this thread or any of the substantial number of UFC bouts I have seen have done anything to change my mind.
    Intense, exciting ads. Actual bouts dull as fuck.
    I'm not saying it doesnt take skill or talent or dedication or a whole load of other stuff to do it. It does. So does chess. They are however, both boring as sin to watch. Throw boxing into that equation too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Far too much ground without pound these days

ScumLord wrote: »

Hyperbole isn't something you quite grasp, is it?

Hyperbole isn't something you quite grasp, is it?
    I have two or three of them at home.

Well, it's a bit late for that.

But please, feel free to get all upset when people don't like what you like. You'll go far in life, kid.

How about you get off your bloody high horse?
    It's already been mentioned at least one that it's a little bit annoying people coming into this discussion and contributing some nonsense like "it's a bit gay" or "just 2 guys rolling around" crap, but don't let what's already been discussed deter you - maybe you could ring Joe Duffy to complain about the "cage fightin'"

How about you get off your bloody high horse?
    It's already been mentioned at least one that it's a little bit annoying people coming into this discussion and contributing some nonsense like "it's a bit gay" or "just 2 guys rolling around" crap, but don't let what's already been discussed deter you - maybe you could ring Joe Duffy to complain about the "cage fightin'"

Aww widdums
    The internet is such a mean place, isn't it.
    With people who don't like what you do... the monsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

What a strange thread

None of the videos on this thread or any of the substantial number of UFC bouts I have seen have done anything to change my mind.
    Intense, exciting ads. Actual bouts dull as fuck.
    I'm not saying it doesnt take skill or talent or dedication or a whole load of other stuff to do it. It does. So does chess. They are however, both boring as sin to watch. Throw boxing into that equation too.

For someone who doesn't know much about MMA, I can imagine it would be boring, especially, when they go to ground.
    For practitioners of martial arts like myself it is the complete opposite

Two men competing against each other to see who is best at the thing they are competing in. Seems kinda gay.

I guess.

I never noticed shirtless sweaty men side of it :eek: but i suppose we see reflections in our own personality. At what age did you start noticing this ??

I notice the competition side of things myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    For someone who doesn't know much about MMA, I can imagine it would be boring, especially, when they go to ground.
    I used to be a practitioner of martial arts myself (Karate) and was quite proficient but I don't get UFC or MMA. It always seems to end up with two guys wrestling on the ground before one submits. There seems to be very little striking involved and no kicking above thigh level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭theboxingclinic

You know the thread has descended into idiocy when a proficient karate guy starts putting down the sport. Jesus

I used to be a practitioner of martial arts myself (Karate) and was quite proficient but I don't get UFC or MMA. It always seems to end up with two guys wrestling on the ground before one submits. There seems to be very little striking involved and no kicking above thigh level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Go watch a highlight reel of Junior Dos Santos to see some expert level striking, and one of Anderson Silva if you want to see people getting kicked above thigh level.

Well I did Jiu Jitsu for years, which involves just the type of groundwork displayed in UFC; guards, mounts, sleeper holds, arm bars, triangle chokes -very skilled and technical work

I never noticed shirtless sweaty men side of it :eek: but i suppose we see reflections in our own personality. At what age did you start noticing this ??

Well MMA is quite a recent phenomenon, but good job on the "olol teh gayz!" insinuation.

I mean, you're not the first to trot out this example of poor thinking, and it's not exactly got the kind of 'punch' you think it might have, but I commend your commitment to saying the first stupid thing that entered your head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I do karate and taekwondo and prefer UFC to boxing. When I watch boxing I just think about how much better it would be with kicking. I would say UFC would take more "science". Boxing is punching and footwork, UFC requires knowing pressure points and how to choke, arm lock etc

• Advertisement

Listen lads, I'm not going all boxing here, I train TKD and boxing at the moment, I'm literally just looking for opinions from people regardless of their background! It's something I talk about with my mates alot, we're all boxing and MMA fans and we're all respectfully looking at this thread haha

Dana White himself prefers striking matches because they're more fun to watch and he encourages it as much as he can, he basically picks the fights and guys that can punch to victory get higher on his list for further fights.

The problem being a fighter that goes up against a good striker is going to want to avoid that striking which means taking it to the ground. However all the best strikers have excellent ground game so their opponent has the dilemma of being damned on their feet and on the ground.

I think most UFC fights are exciting if you understand ground game but boring fights while in the minority are unavoidable, even boxing matches sometimes work out like that.

MMA is still evolving and sometimes you get two guys so evenly matched they end up at a stalemate. fights like that really need more rounds, Jujitsu has no time limit, fights have gone on for hours in the past which is another problem, they require patients and time to make the most of their martial art.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Well I did Jiu Jitsu for years, which involves just the type of groundwork displayed in UFC; guards, mounts, sleeper holds, arm bars, triangle chokes -very skilled and technical work

And painfully slow, to watch

Only if you don't know what you're looking at

Watch Ronda Rousey, short fights, hot chicks, serious injuries.

• Advertisement
Advertisement