Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your opinion on UFC?

123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Hawk Wing 2

Cage fighting. My dad is a big boxing fan but he doesn't like UFC. He says it is savagry and that boxing is science. He also says that no UFC fighter could compete with the science of a Flyod Mayweather. He says it is human cock fighting.

What you think? UFC good or bad?
    I agree, UFC is awful mulloching

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

BlackRoom wrote: »
    Instinct is insctinct regardless of context, sporting or otherwise? So you do or you don't recognise learned 'instinct' in sport? No need to get too hung up on semantics, we can call it implicit memory if you're feeling too literal today.

Its not getting hung up on semantics when the key word forms the whole basis for your argument.

You're talking about drilling something until it becomes 'automatic' not 'instinctive'. Either way you're wrong Boxing is not inherently more 'automatic' than MMA, whether an action or a technique becomes automatic is down solely to how its trained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Crackle

That's my point. An amateur wrestler trains for a few years and within a few fights is holding the most prestigious belt in MMA.
    Brock Lesnar got the title fight because he was famous from his WWE days and that meant he would sell PPVs. He was impressive in his early fights for a guy with so little experience, but should never have been given a title fight after 1 win in UFC. The 2 top fighters he faced destroyed him. It was all about money and drawing fans, and from UFC's point of view it worked.

Threads like these will only go round and round in circles. People will just go with whatever notion they have of it in their heads, regardless of what points are brought to their attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭BlackRoom

Peetrik wrote: »
    Its not getting hung up on semantics when the key word forms the whole basis for your argument.

You're talking about drilling something until it becomes 'automatic' not 'instinctive'. Either way you're wrong Boxing is not inherently more 'automatic' than MMA, whether an action or a technique becomes automatic is down solely to how its trained.

You're still hung up on semantics! Boxing instincts, footballing instincts. Of course they are not genuine, innate instincts. Jesus!

And yes, boxing does rely more upon implicit memory for reasons i have already mentioned.

Crackle wrote: »
    Brock Lesnar got the title fight because he was famous from his WWE days and that meant he would sell PPVs. He was impressive in his early fights for a guy with so little experience, but should never have been given a title fight after 1 win in UFC. The 2 top fighters he faced destroyed him. It was all about money and drawing fans, and from UFC's point of view it worked.

Threads like these will only go round and round in circles. People will just go with whatever notion they have of it in their heads, regardless of what points are brought to their attention.

Yeah, good post. I know Lesnar did come up short when he faced the very best, that's why i never said he was the best, just the holder of the most prestigious belt in his weight division, in his sport.

• Advertisement

You're still hung up on semantics! Boxing instincts, footballing instincts. Of course they are not genuine, innate instincts. Jesus!

And yes, boxing does rely more upon implicit memory for reasons i have already mentioned.

Haha I think you're a lot more hung up on having to be right. Regardless I'm not arsed so sure, 'boxing instincts' if it makes you happy.

And no. You didn't give any reasons or facts you just gave your opinion. Which is wrong.
    Muscle memory is created over a period of time through repetition, it is not dependent on a specific sport and you are just as likely to develop muscle memory throwing a right kick as you are for throwing a right punch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Haha I think you're a lot more hung up on having to be right. Regardless I'm not arsed so sure, 'boxing instincts' if it makes you happy.

And no. You didn't give any reasons or facts you just gave your opinion. Which is wrong.
    Muscle memory is created over a period of time through repetition, it is not dependent on a specific sport and you are just as likely to develop muscle memory throwing a right kick as you are for throwing a right punch.

It's waste of time arguing with these people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

It's funny on upset some people are getting about opinions of "their" sport. Lighten up and enjoy your sport. What does it matter what others think?

It's funny on upset some people are getting about opinions of "their" sport. Lighten up and enjoy your sport. What does it matter what others think?

Not a chance. Someone on the internet is wrong and I will not rest until they admit they were wrong and that I was right. I'm close to comparing his point of view to that of the Nazi's... couple more posts and we're there.

What! The reasons i gave were my own opinion, of course. So yeah, i did give reasons.

You are not grasping what i'm saying.

Let's take the example of driving a car. Sometimes you are conscious of what you are doing. Other times you're not consciously thinking about it, you're working from implicit memory which allows you to do tasks in this way. My point is, boxing relies more upon implicit memory than UFC, as UFC is more stand offish or hug onish, allowing one more time to consciously think about what he is doing.

I'm done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

boxing relies more upon implicit memory than UFC, as UFC is more stand offish or hug onish, allowing one more time to consciously think about what he is doing.
    But that's complete nonsense. MMA fighters use the same learning process. The hugging as you call it is a type of fighting, wrestling, judo or Jujitsu. All those fighting styles require practice just like boxing, they're not just making it up as they go along. It's essentially the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I'm done.

Do you promise??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

What! The reasons i gave were my own opinion, of course. So yeah, i did give reasons.

You are not grasping what i'm saying.

Let's take the example of driving a car. Sometimes you are conscious of what you are doing. Other times you're not consciously thinking about it, you're working from implicit memory which allows you to do tasks in this way. My point is, boxing relies more upon implicit memory than UFC, as UFC is more stand offish or hug onish, allowing one more time to consciously think about what he is doing.

I'm done.

I'm still curious about how much you have trained in each sport.

Purely because you seem to be talking as someone with experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Crackle

Yeah, good post. I know Lesnar did come up short when he faced the very best, that's why i never said he was the best, just the holder of the most prestigious belt in his weight division, in his sport.
    Ok, fair enough. I just wanted to clarify that Lesnar getting the title so quickly was down to financial reasons, and not down to him being so much better than everyone else.

Crackle wrote: »
    Ok, fair enough. I just wanted to clarify that Lesnar getting the title so quickly was down to financial reasons, and not down to him being so much better than everyone else.
    I think Lesners time in UFC was disgraceful money whoring. If he worked his way up like any other fighter and earned his title attempt I'd have no problem with it but it was a clear case of trying to pull in the WWE crowd.

I don't think he ever really had what it took to be a proper MMA fighter. He came in with shock and awe from being so big, fast and having a head like a concrete block but I don't think he really had enough skill to be a proper MMA fighter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I'd put it more down to him being such a physical freak that he overcame his lack of experience. While you can argue, fairly, that he hadn't earned a title shot, you can't argue with wins over Couture, Mir and Carwin. He beat one of the best ever to win the belt and defended twice, convincingly, against two of the best the division had for him. That's undeniable fact.

So, when others try and put down the UFC by pointing to him winning the belt with little to no experience, it really doesn't take into account that he is probably the ultimate exception to the rule.

And, even then, he was later found out by Velasquez and Overeem...where they showed that brute force couldn't always get you the win when facing people both more experienced and capable of withstanding his freakishness.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭nadey

I love the ufc :D

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

It's essentially no holds barred. techniques/ styles or what and yet they can keep their discipline, nerve and energy like boxers without always clinching

but that's the biggest advantage too; too just be able grab someone sit on em and choke them out which is so sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

ScumLord wrote: »
    I think Lesners time in UFC was disgraceful money whoring. If he worked his way up like any other fighter and earned his title attempt I'd have no problem with it but it was a clear case of trying to pull in the WWE crowd.

I don't think he ever really had what it took to be a proper MMA fighter. He came in with shock and awe from being so big, fast and having a head like a concrete block but I don't think he really had enough skill to be a proper MMA fighter.

Same thing is happening now. WWE are paying him 5 million over the course of the year to wrestle I'd imagine no more than 4/5 times, the other lads on the roster do 250+ dates a year. The WWE logic seems to be that they might draw over a certain percentage of UFC fans to buy Lesnar's PPV's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'd say that UFC if anything is more civilized than boxing - there's much less emphasise on punching the head and knocking your opponent out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

It's essentially no holds barred. techniques/ styles or what and yet they can keep their discipline, nerve and energy like boxers without always clinching

but that's the biggest advantage too; too just be able grab someone sit on em and choke them out which is so sad.
    .....too much fail to even correct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

leggo wrote: »
    you can't argue with wins over Couture, Mir and Carwin.
    Carwin beat himself really though, if he played the fight a little bit smarter it might have turned out differently.
    It's essentially no holds barred.
    No it's not, there are plenty of rules it's far from no holds barred.

Advertisement