Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film/Media Work in Canada

Options
  • 30-09-2012 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi guys

We're planning on applying for the IEC visa for 2013. We're very flexible on where to go. We're mostly trained up in film and media (assistant director, PA, production coordinator for me. Festival work and computer graphics/ special fx for him). Wondering if any film-eys have been out there and could tell us about the likelihood of this kind of work? Obviously we expect to go for any old job when we get there to get settled, but are there any good areas for film in particular? You hear very conflicting reports. We REALLY don't mind where in Canada, we're totally open in this respect.

We're planing on a real 'whole life' move to Canada. i.e. go for two years on the IEC then apply for permanent residency. We even plan on shipping over our two dogs when we're settled :) This is an easier process than we initially thought (no quarantine in Canada needed) but likewise if anyone has any direct experience with this would love to hear it!

Thanks guys and good luck to all!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

toronto is where you want to be for movies, although vancouver is starting to see a lot more stuff being shot there. while i do work in the media, im not all that au fait with the side of things you're looking at. i know that there are plenty of opportunities, but i suspect that they would more heavily favour those with experience and canadian qualifications, but i could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭seb65

Toronto or Vancouver are the best places.

You can start with workinculture.ca; and cbc.ca (Canada's national tv station).

Also - http://shawmedia.ca/careers/opportunities.asp (conglomerate of Canadian tv stations/newspapers)

Go to Canadian Media Production Association (cmpa.ca) to get lists of companies in media production.

There are a lot of post production places in Toronto and many movies supposedly shot in places like NYC or other American cities are actually shot in Toronto. This initially had to do with the difference between the CDN $ and American $ and the attractive tax rebates the Ontario government gives foreign film productions. The American $ has weakened now however with the CDN $ being worth more than it. I don't know how business is going at the moment. There's also a lot less financing money for movies due to the American economic situation.

However, seems there are still lots of opening for crew. And television shows like Suits and Criminal Minds are still shot in Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 eim

Vancouver is suppose to be holl ywood of Canada. I've heard that from lots of people.

eim wrote: »
    Vancouver is suppose to be holl ywood of Canada. I've heard that from lots of people.

that's reference to the famous people who live there. most of the movies are mad in toronto

• Registered Users Posts: 13 eavansara

Thanks so much for the info guys. Appreciate every little bit! seb65 - thanks so much for those websites!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Helix wrote: »
    that's reference to the famous people who live there. most of the movies are mad in toronto

Thats not it, Vancouver has a massive industry here. Lionsgate Films are based in N Van. Its called Hollywood North cos of all the films made up here. They moved filming up here in the 70's cos it was cheaper and they were undercutting the business in California.

You cant move downtown for things being filmed here. British Columbia held the ranking of third largest production centre for film and television in North America, after Los Angeles and New York City. I think its 4th now after Toronto. Its a huge industry in Canada.

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Thats not it, Vancouver has a massive industry here. Lionsgate Films are based in N Van. Its called Hollywood North cos of all the films made up here. They moved filming up here in the 70's cos it was cheaper and they were undercutting the business in California.

You cant move downtown for things being filmed here. British Columbia held the ranking of third largest production centre for film and television in North America, after Los Angeles and New York City. I think its 4th now after Toronto. Its a huge industry in Canada.

Actually, Toronto is the one referred to as Hollywood North.

Though lots of stuff is shot in Vancouver as well. Particularly television stuff. I think most of the post takes place in TO, however.

seb65 wrote: »
    Actually, Toronto is the one referred to as Hollywood North.

Though lots of stuff is shot in Vancouver as well. Particularly television stuff. I think most of the post takes place in TO, however.

Dont wanna appear as being pedantic but...

Hollywood North, an allusion to Hollywood, Los Angeles, United States, a notable film centre in the world, is a colloquialism used to describe film production industries and or film locations north of its namesake. The term has been applied principally to the film industry in Canada, specifically Vancouver and Toronto.

:)

Dont wanna appear as being pedantic but...

Hollywood North, an allusion to Hollywood, Los Angeles, United States, a notable film centre in the world, is a colloquialism used to describe film production industries and or film locations north of its namesake. The term has been applied principally to the film industry in Canada, specifically Vancouver and Toronto.

:)

Except Toronto was Hollywood North before Vancouver was ever on the movie scene.....not hard to tell what city I'm from :)))) (go Leafs!)

yeah, but it's not the hollywood of canada, that would be toronto. more sound stages, more features made, more production companies etc

• Advertisement

seb65 wrote: »
    Except Toronto was Hollywood North before Vancouver was ever on the movie scene.....not hard to tell what city I'm from :)))) (go Leafs!)

Leafs... hahahhaaa bet you're glad the seasons cancelled :)

yeah, but it's not the hollywood of canada, that would be toronto. more sound stages, more features made, more production companies etc

dog-bone.jpg

thats you that is :)

Bahahahahahahahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I heard Hollywood North mentioned a lot when I was living in Vancouver. I saw a lot of filming downtown, including the last Mission Impossible film. I've seen them film the tv show Fringe there too. As to whether Toronto or Vancouver is the true Hollywood North I couldn't tell ya. Here's a list of movies filmed in Vancouver and Toronto.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Films_shot_in_Vancouver

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_shot_in_Toronto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Just remembered these photos of the Fringe set I took on Granville Street in Vancouver. I don't the OP will be lacking in opportunities in either Toronto or Vancouver.

73253983.jpg

54502973.jpg

70022938.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

TIFF is a pretty big international event and quite a spectacle in Toronto every summer, I've got friends who work in film here too - I won't say work is necessarily ample but there are quite a few big production companies and every week or so I see production crews shooting stuff around the city.

I work at the CBC as a news producer, got my job literally by emailing my boss and working my way up as a freelancer and I know from in here that the Irish are pretty well received. We have a good reputation. So that's something to keep in mind.

My advice would be to do your research thoroughly and start emailing the relevant people now, forge some sort of a familiarity with them so you have some meetings lined up once you're on Canadian soil. Any bit of prep work you can do before arriving here will stand to you, believe me. It's very daunting just starting from scratch when you land with everything else that you have to worry about.

Thanks again guys. All really helpful. So much appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'd love to work in some sort of media over there, hell I'd make the coffee if it got me on a tv show or film set.

print media any good to you?

print media any good to you?

Absolutely! I've got some journalism behind me and he's done a lot of review writing and blogging.

• Advertisement
Advertisement