Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much to have a front door painted

Options
  • 30-09-2012 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone knows roughly how much it would cost and if anyone knew of anyone in the area

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

depends on the condition, also what you want done.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭deckycoop

NorthDub wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone knows roughly how much it would cost and if anyone knew of anyone in the area
    get down to your local hardware and get your paint and brush.50 yoyo and a hour of your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

There's more to it than that. Sugar-soaping & sanding, then masking surrounds, glass, door furniture, etc. All before you even dip a brush in a pot of paint. Not a one hour job at all.

OP - Check the ads in your local shop notice boards & papers. Also, you don't say where in DCN you are. I doubt that a painter in Portmarnock would travel to Balbriggan to paint a door. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭N17er

There's more to it than that. Sugar-soaping & sanding, then masking surrounds, glass, door furniture, etc. All before you even dip a brush in a pot of paint. Not a one hour job at all.

OP - Check the ads in your local shop notice boards & papers. Also, you don't say where in DCN you are. I doubt that a painter in Portmarnock would travel to Balbriggan to paint a door. ;)

Its a door, they aren't restoring a renaissance masterpiece.

Maybe get a handyman rather than an actual painter to do it, lots of them advertising on notice boards and community newspapers. As the other poster said, do it yourself, €20 max for sandpaper, brush and paint. An hours work.

If a job is worth doing, it is worth doing right. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

having seen the pigs ear many of my neighbours have made of their front doors I am inclined to agree with HB. Particularly if you are painting it a colour rather than staining it with varnish. If its just varnishing you could possibly get away with sandpaper, elbow grease and some free time. But if you want to gloss it in a particular colour I would recommend getting a professional job done. Gloss paint is the devils work! total nightmare. And if you do it wrong looks sooooooo bad.

Our neighbour tried to gloss their front door red - looked awful and the street outside now looks like there was some sort of masacre on the street! lol Took them a few goes of sanding it back down and re-painting to get it even and smooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Jonny Drama

Most people think painting is easy, it's not! Ya it's easy to apply paint, but it's not easy to make a job look good. The amount of front doors I see that have been DIY painted, bloody awful most of them look!!

They say "if you can piss you can paint", well thats why I never use urinals because these people would cover me with their piss!

By the way, don't forget white spirits to thin out the gloss a tad.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭NorthDub

Hi i had mentioned in previous posts but not this one that I am based in Balbriggan,

Thanks for your suggestion, I know it isnt as simple job and agree with the poster who said they have seen the mess others have made of theirs and that is why I think I need someone to do it rather than me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

I had a professional painter in recently and we were discussing painting my front door. He reckons to do a proper job striping the old paint, sanding, ,undercoat and 2 or 3 top coats you could be looking north of €250 including materials. This would however be a top of the line job which should last years.

You could however pop down to the diy shop pick up a brush and can of paint for prob €20. It will look cat though!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭N17er

veetwin wrote: »
    It will look cat though!

Only if you do a cat job I would have thought. Try a small sponge roller if you can't do even brush strokes. You could buy a small compressor and a hvlp spray gun for the money you'd give a painter.

I suppose some people just like giving money away, like the person on here recently looking to pay someone to clean their bins!

By all means pay a painter €250....

• Advertisement

Take it up in the DIY forum.

Thanks,

tHB

Advertisement