Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Do take more out of boards.ie than you give back?

• 30-09-2012 8:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I've been considering the question in the thread title recently. It's a difficult question to answer if you think about it enough. The fact that users get something out of these boards seems self-evident i.e. they exist and are fairly vibrant. On the other hand you could say that all users give something to boards by the very act of logging in and making a post; a post bumps a thread to the top of the page and keeps the flame of interest burning.

I've definitely improved my knowledge bank from being involved in discussions on boards - that's for sure. I think my spelling/syntax has gotten better too from re-reading posts and going 'ah jayus look at that crappy sentence structure and those spelling mistakes'. I've made a few purchases with advice from boards - among them being a combo box (RTE & UK channels), a lower end hybrid bike, and a budget smart phone.

I've started a few threads that have gone into the tens of thousands of views so I take a little comfort in thinking that I've started some interesting threads. I like to think I put in as much as I take out but it's difficult to be sure.

So how about y'all?

Do you take more out of boards than you give back? 67 votes

Yes. I'm brilliant me.
    0% 0 votes
    No. I'm all take and no give.
    29% 20 votes
    Exactly 50/50
    40% 27 votes
    I have no idea.
    29% 20 votes

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I've been considering the question in the thread title recently. It's a difficult question to answer if you think about it enough. The fact that users get something out of these boards seems self-evident i.e. they exist and are fairly vibrant. On the other hand you could say that all users give something to boards by the very act of logging in and making a post; a post bumps a thread to the top of the page and keeps the flame of interest burning.

I've definitely improved my knowledge bank from being involved in discussions on boards - that's for sure. I think my spelling/syntax has gotten better too from re-reading posts and going 'ah jayus look at that crappy sentence structure and those spelling misakes'. I've made a few purchases with advice from boards - among them being a combo box (RTE & UK channels), a lower end hybrid bike, and a budget smart phone.

I've started a few threads that have gone into the tens of thousands of views so I take a little comfort in thinking that I've started some interesting threads. I like to think I put in as much as I take out but it's difficult to be sure.

So how about y'all?

Discussions are two way things so every one involved gets something from it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I've gotten better at the internet in general and conversing over the internet because of boards.

I've made some IRL friends through boards.

I've increased my knowledge and completely opened my mind because of boards.

I have gotten far far more out of boards than I have given back. Which is most of the reason I hate people who complain about ads on boards. This site is free unless you choose to subscribe, using adblock is cnutish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I find that reading other peoples opinions and points of view have helped open my mind a little.

When I'm not busy taking the piss that is.

I'd say I get more out of it than I give back but hey nobody is perfect.

I've definitely improved my knowledge bank from being involved in discussions on boards - that's for sure. I think my spelling/syntax has gotten better too from re-reading posts and going 'ah jayus look at that crappy sentence structure and those spelling misakes'. I've made a few purchases with advice from boards - among them being a combo box (RTE & UK channels), a lower end hybrid bike, and a budget smart phone.

So how about y'all?

So close. :pac:

I dunno if I've taken much from boards, most of what I've read in terms of useful stuff like the digital switchover or whatever can be picked up elsewhere fairly handily or I've learned from friends anyway. To be honest I often question how and why I've gotten so hooked on the site.

You messed up the poll....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

The cash from the bribery makes it worth while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

So close. :pac:

Aw.

There are lads over in the motors forum and the satellite TV forums and they share their expertise unreservedly. They're a real asset to the forums and definitely put in more than they take out imo.

Bargain alerts is great too.
    You messed up the poll....

Just noticed.

Could a mod tidy up the poll please?

Ad blocker on = Yes

Ad blocker off = No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Definitely get more out of boards than I could give back. There's some very intelligent and articulate posters here. Plenty of useful information to be found in fora I wouldn't dare post in myself, plenty of entertainment in others.

Sometimes I find myself absolutely pumping with rage at what someone posts, sometimes falling of my seat with laughter. But to those of you I hate and those of you I love I have this message;

I Respect You All

This site is free unless you choose to subscribe, using adblock is cnutish.

But the advertisers wouldn't know who has or hasn't seen their ads would they? Shirley they just get traffic rates as opposed to a detailed breakdown of how users interface with boards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

But the advertisers wouldn't know who has or hasn't seen their ads would they? Shirley they just get traffic rates as opposed to a detailed breakdown of how users interface with boards?

Who you calling Shirley ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I answer a lot of questions when i have time over on the plumbing forum and answer questions regarding insulation and related topics alot.

Im definetly a giver.

Also heading to a boards night out soon so i feel thats giving back by helping and meeting others on the site making it stronger as a whole.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Try to give back - often posting new topics which I might not necessarily agree with but want to hear other views so I can be also better educated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Yeah. The stupid bollockses always leave the till open in the AH mods' forum and I just help myself to a few quid now and then.

It's called a CPM http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost_per_impression , I only found out about this recently so my basic understanding is that the ads are hosted on the advertisers server, so they know how many impressions are actually made. It DOES actually effect boards.

I have to say fair play to the mods too who keep the site from turning into a mental troll fest. I've had a few arguments with mods since I joined but on the whole they're a grand bunch of lads who do a pretty thankless job voluntarily.

Fair play.

It's called a CPM http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost_per_impression , I only found out about this recently so my basic understanding is that the ads are hosted on the advertisers server, so they know how many impressions are actually made. It DOES actually effect boards.

Okay, thanks.

I'll turn off my adblocker now for boards.

LOL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Boards would be nothing without me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Spellings never been my strong point, how ever I think bye interacting in forum has seriously helped my spelling...
    The other thing I've found is that, better understanding of "your and you're, there and their, and all that terribly confusing stuff I could never get around so I dunno I like to think this place has helped me give back something...

errr at times :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I'm not really sure. I like to bullshit and feck around which is neither giving nor taking but I have given advice and my spin on things which some people have said they liked and appreciated, so I do seem to contribute and pull my weight from time to time as well.

I've learned a lot from spending a fair chunk of time around here and I'm much more open minded to a lot of things, which is always the best way to be IMO.

Snowie wrote: »
    Spellings never been my strong point, how ever I think bye interacting in forum has seriously helped my spelling...

Your right their Ted. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I get so much out of Boards that I don't think I could ever give enough back tbh.

The regular UL posters, C+H, the TV forum and a few others that I mostly lurk in have given me such enjoyment in the relatively short time I've been a member.

Some of the highlights of my internet life (for lack of a better phrase) have been on Boards. The Eurovision 2012 thread over in TV was one of the best nights I've had in a long time. So many lulz over the course of the week. Not to mention the LLS threads which even though I mostly just lurk in, are a constant source of entertainment.

C+H... well what can I say about C+H? It gave me a place to rant when I'm feeling like absolute sh*t. It gave me a place to celebrate the rare times when I feel like a million bucks. It's given me hours of entertainment and chats.

Then you've got the Tech fora, like Satellite and Laptops and so many others. So much information that, while available elsewhere, is so much easier to get on boards.

What have I given back?

Well, I suppose the obvious one is evident by my pretty pinky stars - subscribing. I know it's only a small thing, and probably doesn't actually help that much, but it feels nice to contribute something to a site that is basically open on my laptop from the time it's switched on until the time I log off for bed.

I've also tried my best to be a decent poster. I've gotten involved in a few heated debates (mostly over in UL), and will freely admit to have been a hot-headed keyboard-warrior in my earlier days here, but I like to think that I've gotten better at not feeding trolls or flaming, and generally try to rise above people who're clearly trying to derail with reasoned argument.

Don't think many of us will ever repay what we owe to the site, but I guess all we can do is try and be decent posters having decent discussions and hope for the best. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

So how about y'all?

Honestly, why does this matter at all? Who cares?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sir Pompous Righteousness

I have contributed to boards.ie, maybe not in an obvious way but I have. Don't ever let them see you coming, you gotta keep it small, innocuous, be the little guy. I'm the hand up Mona Lisa's skirt; I'm a surprise. They don't see me coming.

philologos wrote: »
    Honestly, why does this matter at all?

Because the site gets traffic and people enjoyed the discussion?
    Who cares?

You care enough to comment on it.

If you don't like the thread then kindly piss off and be pious somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

He explained why it matters in the second half of that sentence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I got some help with two assignments , the nice person who gave the info helped me get an A and an A plus.
    I tip my hat to that nice person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭rubadubduba

When i'm a few feet in i'll answer this poll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

My spelling was never perfect either and I think my writing skills, punctuation and the rest have improved hugely over the last few months.

Now, why tf didn't I start this when I was in school doing H level English I'll never know!

Suppose boards can't fix stupidity as easily as other things though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I love Boards and i definitely think that my life is a bit better for having discovered it.

I've had interesting discussions, learned new things i might not have learned otherwise, read brilliant stories and laughed at some hilarious jokes on here.

I do try and help people out if say someone asks about something i have a lot of knowledge about and im always happy to do so.

But realistically i think everyone bar the mods get more out of the site than they give back which isnt a bad thing because its the fact that people can take away so much from this site is why it is so successful.

I like to think I give back a little bit, but I have gotten more out if Boards than I could ever give back.
    I've gotten great advice on a number of topics that have helped me in my life.
    I've learned a hell of a lot on every subject you can think of.
    I've had riveting discussions on some threads.
    In a single day on Boards you can break your bollox laughing and have great craic in one thread, and then go and have a serious discussion in another.

I suppose I've given back a bit by giving advice in the motors forum a few times. (Although I rarely post there)
    And I subscribe now too so I'm giving back in that way. (Albeit a small amount of money.)
    And I've recommended Boards to countless people so I suppose I've attracted new members.
    I could never give back as much as I take though.

That would be giving back, starting interesting threads is what makes good posters.

I've made a lot of friends on here, have had endless entertainment, learned stuff that I would likely never have known, learned how to stop giving a fcuk about gobshytes!!! I now mod the forums that I've gotten the most from, and I subscribe, but as a poster I don't give as much as I get because I just ain't as clever as some of you lot so I'll keep paying me fiver a month to make up for it :D

Suppose it all evens out for me
    I don't know
    pro: post a lot
    con: post a lot of rubbish? :pac:
    I mod and subscribe, and I've met loads of lovely people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

bluewolf wrote: »
    Suppose it all evens out for me
    I don't know
    pro: post a lot
    con: post a lot of rubbish? :pac:
    I mod and subscribe, and I've met loads of lovely people

In after hours?! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Ristiano Conaldo

Boreds haz definetly helpd me spellin and sintax; befour i cudnt spel grate but now it haz improoved grately. thanx boreds.

It's I not i :mad:

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Honestly, why does this matter at all?

Because the site gets traffic and people enjoyed the discussion?
    Who cares?

You care enough to comment on it.

If you don't like the thread then kindly piss off and be pious somewhere else.
    My question is more at the end of the day does your thread getting thousands of views matter? Ultimately it doesn't as far as I can tell.

It seemed a little egotistical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sir Pompous Righteousness

He cares. And it matters a lot more to people here than your posts about God and Jesus so there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

I love this place because it distracts me from touching myself.

I want to subscribe but dont have a paypal account anymore, they need to start taking laser. :(

There is such a great variety of people here, some good, some bad, some banned and some completely insane.

I have encountered a lot of "you heard it here first" threads. It is a place where you can raise and contribute some topics that maybe you cant with your friends.

Overall its a great place.

My question is more at the end of the day does your thread getting thousands of views matter? Ultimately it doesn't as far as I can tell.

I think you're missing the point.
    He said he sees that as kind of giving back because he has started threads that generated a lot of discussion. This discussion may have benefited some of the posters reading the thread therefore giving back. If he never started the thread, the discussion wouldn't have happened.
    It also benefited the forum by having big threads which people obviously had an interest in thus making them return to boards, and that thread in particular, creating more traffic for the site.

In after hours?! :D
    Well, except AH. That whoopsy wan, jayz.

(<3)

Boards is a discussion site. He's asking do people give back. If a thread on a discussion site has more views then it seems to be a good contribution. he already explained this

benwavner wrote: »
    I love this place because it distracts me from touching myself.

I want to subscribe but dont have a paypal account anymore, they need to start taking laser. :(

There is such a great variety of people here, some good, some bad, some banned and some completely insane.

I have encountered a lot of "you heard it here first" threads. It is a place where you can raise and contribute some topics that maybe you cant with your friends.

Overall its a great place.
    Post me a fiver a month and I'll help you give something back by subscribing twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Ristiano Conaldo

Where To wrote: »
    It's I not i :mad:

:P
    ahh hayyer leav ih fuckin ouu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I have got more out than I have given in, Opened my mind up to lots of different points of view and discussions,and I have learned new big words.

Where To wrote: »
    Post me a fiver a month and I'll help you give something back by subscribing twice.

Yeah right, Im not falling for that again...An Post are shiite.

PM me your bank account details and I will transfer the fiver. I will also need your mothers maiden name, your DOB, favourite power ranger name and PPSN number.

ktksbai

And you in your unending and mind-numbingly boring quest to appear morally superior to everyone took it upon yourself to take me down a peg or two is it?

GTFO.

"Where's your God now!" - LOL