Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do take more out of boards.ie than you give back?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

benwavner wrote: »
    "Where's your God now!" - LOL

Haha reminded me of this.

http://us13.memecdn.com/where-is-your-god-now_o_493054.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I try to. I've got involved in some interesting debates, and started a few threads which went on to generate quite a few posts (but what does that matter!? :pac:).

I try to give useful advice sometimes, where possible, and make some smartarse quips.

I do also find myself giving out to people a lot though, which I probably shouldn't do so much.

All in all, if it weren't for me there wouldn't be quite so many posts on the site, which, for better or worse, is a tiny little fragment of the internet that will probably last until the apes take over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

What I've taken from Boards over the years:

1. Learned some interesting new information about a wide variety of topics.

2. Met a great deal of friends and met my girlfriend.

3. Discovered how to debate with people a little better.

What I have given Boards in return:

1. A never-ending stream of snarky, hit-and-miss (more miss than hit) one-liners and crude attempts at sarcastic humour.

It's fair to say that it's a bit tilted to one side. You're welcome everybody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

There are few posters I would think that give more than they get here. M.T.Cranium being one of the few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I feel flattered that my fellow boards folk stuck up for me regarding the the thing about the thing.

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Don't mean to sound like a dickhead with this post :o

But boards.ie is a business. Its two fold. The people behind boards want people to view and use it to make money. Whilst the people who use it do so to be entertained or pass time. The by product is, as chuck said, can be information learned. Which is good.

But it's just a business people :)
    While boards may have started as a way for people to talk about Quake. It has involved into a business.

But boards.ie is a business. Its two fold. The people behind boards want people to view and use it to make money.

It's not purely a business though, in the true sense of the owrd, is it? It's more of a service than a business imo. There is no fee to join up and post (except for a few forums where it's probably a good idea that a fee is involved).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

We're not supposed to talk about the forbidden forums, Chuck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

i don't give nor take, im merely filler.

• Advertisement

kowloon wrote: »
    We're not supposed to talk about the forbidden forums, Chuck.

Lol. I subscribed there last month and had a peek at the subscribers only forums. Nothing out of this world tbh but I can understand why having a sub would be a requirement.

I guess the sub is a bit like a statement of commitment ot the values of boards.

I'm drunk.

I,I, follow, I follow you. Deep sea baby, I folllow you. (can't get that song outa me head)

It's not purely a business though, in the true sense of the owrd, is it? It's more of a service than a business imo. There is no fee to join up and post (except for a few forums where it's probably a good idea that a fee is involved).

A service is a business chuck, by definition :P
    Granted this is free, but boards makes money through advertisement. Like other 'free' sites.

I guess boards.ie can be described as give and take. We view it for our own needs (Entertained, Information etc) whilst the reasons for creating such a platform is to make money.

Only issue i'd have with boards.ie is mods. In the sense they are the ones who maintain the site as it is. But mods dont get paid. I honestly view it as "free labor" ... which, no disrespect to mods, i feel are suckers for working for free. Cause boards.ie is making money. None of which goes into their pockets.

What about the Samaritans?
    Granted this is free, but boards makes money through advertisement. Like other 'free' sites.

It needs to cover costs I suppose?
    the reasons for creating such a platform is to make money.

But it wasn't created for those reasons was it?
    Only issue i'd have with boards.ie is mods. In the sense they are the ones who maintain the site as it is. But mods dont get paid. I honestly view it as "free labor" ... which, no disrespect to mods, i feel are suckers for working for free. Cause boards.ie is making money. None of which goes into their pockets.

I'm not sure boards.ie makes enough money for mods to start demanding a wage - its not as if boards is a fabulously wealthy corporation or something..

Mods get coke and hookers, this has been the way since the before times. The why is a mystery lost to the sands of time.

I'm not sure boards.ie makes enough money for mods to start demanding a wage - its not as if boards is a fabulously wealthy corporation or something..

Chuck,
    Honestly, are you stupid? Do you not see things for what they really are? :confused: Does your love for boards cloud your mind? :confused:

Do you understand the concept of a "business" :confused:

Chuck,
    Honestly, are you stupid? Do you not see things for what they really are? :confused: Does your love for boards cloud your mind? :confused:

Why don't you address my response instead of going on the attack?

Here you go.

• Advertisement

Ok. Give me a few to reply to your madness.

I'm also sleepless enough to wait.
    Might make some tea.

Why don't you address my response instead of going on the attack?

Here you go.

Fair enough, although I still think you dont have a concept of what a business is...

The samaritans are a charity. To help people. Their main purpose is to help people with emotional distress. Those who might be considering suicide too. Link - now how in FUCKING HELL did you just compare that to boards.ie!?!?!? A site that is designed to entertain people versus an organisation that helps people save lives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

So boards.ie only runs adverts to cover costs and pay for its half a dozen staff? Not for profit? ... even tho boards is owned by "Daft Media Limited" - Has thousands of users - has thousands of threads - all with advertisment - all for "our enjoyment" right Chuck? .... its not for "profit" its for the "public" ... man, i never knew this was www.citizensinformation.ie chuck!!!! :rolleyes:

Boards.ie was created as a message board for quake players in 1998. it evolved. It grew in popularity. In 2008 boards.ie saw its first shareholder Daft Media. A share holder chuck.... is any of the this making sense?

You are confused. Boards.ie isnt Apple. But its purpose is to make money. Just like Apple ;)
    As for mods not being paid, Boards.ie doesnt make enough revenue to pay its mods. You are right. But in fact, if it ever does, it never will. Why pay when you can get free labor. Mods run the site as management want it too. Sure, the whole MCD thing proves boards.ie "sensitivity" to what content is on its site. Being honest, mods are suckers providing their free time.

but i ask again chuck ... do you know what the word "business" means?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

kowloon wrote: »
    Mods get coke and hookers, this has been the way since the before times. The why is a mystery lost to the sands of time.

It's a dirty lie. Loose peeps and speed is all we get nowadays. Shur, how bad.
    Chuck,

Don't you dare ruin this love in with your overuse of :confused:.

It's a dirty lie. Loose peeps and speed is all we get nowadays. Shur, how bad.

Don't you dare ruin this love in with your overuse of :confused:.

Coming from a subscriber ;)

• Advertisement

Coming from a subscriber ;)

Your point being?

Here, let's not go insulting the mods too much, they're the difference between here and the kind of thing that makes it into the comments box on Youtube.

Your point being?

Actually, I see now that you are a C-mod.
    Do you suscribe to boards or is being a c-mod give subscriber access?

The samaritans are a charity. To help people. Their main purpose is to help people with emotional distress. Those who might be considering suicide too. Link - now how in FUCKING HELL did you just compare that to boards.ie!?!?!? A site that is designed to entertain people versus an organisation that helps people save lives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Wait.. You said..

It's not. You are wrong. Let's just get that out of the way before we proceed.
    but i ask again chuck ... do you know what the word "business" means?

Judging by your last few posts on this thread your certainty on what is a business is in question. I don't claim to be an expert on things I have limited knowledge about.

Are you an expert on what constitutes a business?

Before you make the mistake of going on an ad hominem attack I ask that you address my questions rather than make an eejit of yourself.

Before you make the mistake of going on an ad hominem attack I ask that you address my questions rather than make an eejit of yourself.

wtf?!?!?
    what was my last post about then!?!?! :confused:

Chuck, have you been drinking by any chance?
    Actually, you know what I read whats going on. You are talking through your ass so much. To try and be right. While reality is you dont have a single clue what you are talking about. You dont know what the word business is. You have no clue :)

Chuck, read a book :) or perhaps sober up?

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

what, I always give more than i receive.

mainly due to not really being capable of taking anything in

wtf?!?!?
    what was my last post about then!?!?! :confused:

Chuck, have you been drinking by any chance?
    Actually, you know what I read whats going on. You are talking through your ass so much. To try and be right. While reality is you dont have a single clue what you are talking about. You dont know what the word business is. You have no clue :)

Chuck, read a book :) or perhaps sober up?

A drunk me is a better debater than a sober you?

You fail.

A drunk me is a better debater than a sober you?

You fail.

Chuck, sleep it off then reply tomorrow, ok.

Chuck, sleep it off then reply tomorrow, ok.

You concede. Fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

If this thread is about boards the business then yeah I look at the ads and whatever and I suppose I help them make a few bucks in exchange for using the site.

If it's about the community then no I don't think I have or will come close to putting back in what I've got from the people who post on here. So many people on here willing to take the time to help you out with any problem you might be having. Moderators too for doing what is essentially a really boring administrative job for free during their time off. That's without evening mentioning the entertainment value you get from AH, CVPL or humour forums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I give so much with my cutting edge comedy and its a pretty thankless job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I'm not particularly sure anybody would want anything from me anyways, I'm quite dirty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Media researchers and journalists takes alot out of boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I post a good bit but don't subscribe so I suppose I'm a good for nothing freeloader :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I give stuff to Boards that no-one wants because it's all worn out, but at least it never gets posted back to me in a big cardboard box like they do at Oxfam.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I give stuff to Boards that no-one wants because it's all worn out, but at least it never gets posted back to me in a big cardboard box like they do at Oxfam.:(

Ah, so that's where Dav got those shoes...

feeling any better now chuck?
    wait, concede? you are such a rude little man ... trying so hard "to win the argument" ;)

get the fuck over yourself chuck ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Discovered how to debate with people a little better.

Ehhhhh.... never mind.

feeling any better now chuck?
    wait, concede? you are such a rude little man ... trying so hard "to win the argument" ;)

You seem to be an angry person.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

You just never know people.

Mod

Baiting and flaming stops here please.

It's not very becoming.

Got some sleep, back now, what did I miss?

Advertisement