Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shadow an entrepreneur

Options
  • 30-09-2012 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Currently I am trying to gain an accountancy traineeship in Dublin however I am more suited to entrepreneurial activities and would prefer to be my own boss, all the risk and all the reward and being able to look at a business I built up myself and enjoying both the good and stressful aspects of being an entrepreneur.

As there is seemingly very little disposable income in the country now and funding is very hard to come by it is a bad time to start up so I was wondering if there are any positions or schemes that would allow me to shadow an entrepreneur and gain experience in the day to day running of an SME?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 etab

I don't know of any such scheme. Its good to be able to offer something to an SME company so there is somewhat of a gain for them being shadowed. I Imagine an internship is an indirect way to shadow within an SME.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

arbitrage wrote: »
    As there is seemingly very little disposable income in the country now and funding is very hard to come by it is a bad time to start up so I was wondering if there are any positions or schemes that would allow me to shadow an entrepreneur and gain experience in the day to day running of an SME?
    TBH, how I did it at the start was get a job and shadow my employer.

If you've an aptitude for it, you'll figure out how the business is run, where mistakes are made, while gaining experience at the actual 'coal face' and getting a salary.

And when you're ready and the economy looks to be beginning an upswing, you'll be ready to go out on your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭arbitrage

TBH, how I did it at the start was get a job and shadow my employer.

If you've an aptitude for it, you'll figure out how the business is run, where mistakes are made, while gaining experience at the actual 'coal face' and getting a salary.

And when you're ready and the economy looks to be beginning an upswing, you'll be ready to go out on your own.

That is the ideal situation. I will keep an eye out for suitable positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 growmyfans

arbitrage wrote: »
    Currently I am trying to gain an accountancy traineeship in Dublin however I am more suited to entrepreneurial activities and would prefer to be my own boss, all the risk and all the reward and being able to look at a business I built up myself and enjoying both the good and stressful aspects of being an entrepreneur.

Thanks.

hi there check out the course offered by UCD...Postgraduate Certificate in Innovation and Entrepreneurship...free if you fit the eligibility criteria and if you get a social welfare payment, you retain it...may be the stepping stone you need to take the plunge :)http://www.springboardcourses.ie/Postgraduate-Certificate-in-Innovation-and-Entrepreneurship/General-Programmes/Personal-skills/Personal-skills/ViewItem.aspx?ItemTypeID=2&ItemID=1498

Advertisement