Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roaster alternatives

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Cableguy

vigos wrote: »
    I've noticed with ordering with Hasbean is that its taking over a week to get the coffee (via royal mail) since it was roasted and while it was good for the 2nd week I started to notice into the 3rd week while the coffee is good its just not as fresh

With roasters in Ireland you're getting coffee that was roasted only 1 to 2 days ago, maybe its just all in my head though! :)

Create an account with Parcel Motel, have your order then shipped to the UK address which they give you. Orders arrive extremely quick. Last two orders I placed before their Monday morning deadline where delivered on Wednesday night.

The great thing is you can collect your parcels at a suitable time and first two deliveries are free :) Although you really need to order 3-4 bags to cover the cost of Parcel Motel but since the first two are free its worth trying them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭vigos

Cableguy wrote: »
    Create an account with Parcel Motel, have your order then shipped to the UK address which they give you. Orders arrive extremely quick. Last two orders I placed before their Monday morning deadline where delivered on Wednesday night.

The great thing is you can collect your parcels at a suitable time and first two deliveries are free :) Although you really need to order 3-4 bags to cover the cost of Parcel Motel but since the first two are free its worth trying them.

Thanks for tip will give it a try and just saw a parcel motel has opened near me otherwise the nearest one up to that was 30 mins away

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

My sub from Has bean sent on Friday, still not here, out of coffee and not real patient right now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Regular Latte

adrian522 wrote: »
    My sub from Has bean sent on Friday, still not here, out of coffee and not real patient right now!!

Not sure if it's possible for you, but there are a few outlets in Dublin selling Has Bean. I've taken to picking up a quick bag from 3fe Grand Canal for the last few weeks. It looks like it's probably cheaper that way, though the roast date may be a couple of weeks along.

That said, I've just dropped a small fortune for a couple of bags of Sq Mile - including their limited batch of birthday coffee. Looking forward to it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Glebee

Was in the same boat a few weeks ago when I ran out of beans while waiting for order to come in post. In a panic I picked up a packet of bewleys beans from the supermarket thinking there can't be too much in the difference taste wise. Can't believe how wrong I was. Tasted foul compared to fresh roasted beans.
    Currently switching between Hasbean, Coffee mojo and Badger & Dodo ordering 4 bags at a time which usually last me about a month. Off the three don't know which I prefer most though. Can't seem to get the subtle flavours described and all coffee starts to taste samish.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Wigsy

hasbean is also now in Avoca. Nice blend too! Sumatra Gayon 50%
    Brasil Passeio Pulped Natural 50%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Wigsy wrote: »
    hasbean is also now in Avoca. Nice blend too! Sumatra Gayon 50%
    Brasil Passeio Pulped Natural 50%

All branches? When I checked some months back it was only Malahide.
    How fresh is the roast on average?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

I normally pick some up in Fallon & Byrne, usually only a week old too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Thanks for the suggestions lads, still no sign of coffee today so will need to pick some up tonight. I miss the way redmonds off license used to have espresso from nicks across the way after nicks had closed for the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Wigsy

All branches? When I checked some months back it was only Malahide.
    How fresh is the roast on average?

They stock it in Avoca Rathcoole. All Hasbean bags are 15th Feb (8 weeks).

Wigsy wrote: »
    They stock it in Avoca Rathcoole. All Hasbean bags are 15th Feb (8 weeks).

Cheers, surprised the stock is that old.
    Not exactly freshly roasted.

Decided to try out this "Sweet Shop Espresso" from Square mile, expensive enough.

possibly the weirdest espresso I've ever tasted, but in a really good way.

Has anyone tried it? Must say I'm a fan.

Delivery was reasonable too £2.87.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Clinker

Decided to try out this "Sweet Shop Espresso" from Square mile, expensive enough.

possibly the weirdest espresso I've ever tasted, but in a really good way.

Has anyone tried it? Must say I'm a fan.

I alternate James Gourmet, hasbean and Square Mile and I've been enjoying Sweetshop as well. Must buy again before they discontinue!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wannabecraig

I bought some hasbean beans today from Mother Hubbard on Caple street, has anybody used these?
    Are they decent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

I bought some hasbean beans today from Mother Hubbard on Caple street, has anybody used these?
    Are they decent?

More than decent. Which beans did you buy?

• Advertisement

Well I got this from F&B the other week for 8.50€, I'm using them now for espresso and I'm not a massive fan.
    IMG_1052_zps444bb3b1.jpg

So the one in BH is 'Blend 24' I think, it;'s in a red bag, I hope it's better. This it was 7.95€

On a side note the service in BH is shocking bad. Slow and constantly getting the orders wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

{Africa} Malawi : Nkhata Bay

silver-bar1.gif 83t.jpg
    Acidity: Sweet & sparkling. Not sharp.
    Body: Silky medium body
    Complex sweet red grapefruit, caramel, slightly peppery & honey finish
    Roasted past medium.
    Great as espresso, lush in Filter.
    Not overtly strong. An exotic all day coffee. Suitable for all preparation types and totally suitable in milk and as black. Very unusual in that this is a farmed blend with Arabica varieties Agaro, Bourbon, Geisha and Catimor. Superb complex farm blend.

Currently drinking this, very nice I must say.

And just finished a bag of ...

{Blend} Blackwater Blend (TM)

silver-bar1.gif
    Our premium house five-bean blend.
    100% Arabica – two varieties contributing towards a deep woody and chocolate body. A further chosen for refined orange acidity and sweet lift. And two semi washed Brazilians and to provide backbone stability to crema.
    With the emphasis on body, sweetness and a complex yet sweet & fruity acidity, this blend is tailored for the the modern Irish pallet. As an espresso or short black, aficionados will find these many layers within the shot – this is not an Italian styled espresso : see our Red Rock for that. For the milk based flat’s, latt’s and cap’s the sweet complexities of smooth fruit completely compliment early morning soft warm milk.
    Best in espresso, good for filter as well. ©

I'm not normally one for blends but this one was delicious.

This is my first taste of badger and dodo. After these I can safely say it wont be my last. Very nice indeed. :)

Good communication via email regarding delivery and it was very fast so fresher than freshly roasted which is good as I ordered a few bags.

I was going to go with coffeemojo again but I PM'd Kevin who I spoke with the last time here via boards and didnt get a reply so decided to go b&d for a change. Will probably go with coffeemojo again at some point but was dissapointed by the lack of response. Maybe he doesnt use boards anymore or has a different username?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭donnacha

I was going to go with coffeemojo again but I PM'd Kevin who I spoke with the last time here via boards and didnt get a reply so decided to go b&d for a change. Will probably go with coffeemojo again at some point but was dissapointed by the lack of response. Maybe he doesnt use boards anymore or has a different username?

I'd say you'd be safer off emailing them direct for a prompt response:
    info@coffeemojo.ie

Have started getting 1 kg bags of espresso from CoffeeMojo due to the €40 required for free postage. Have been really impresed with their espresso roast profiles ... of course this set-off a new personal debate as to whether I should just sell off the Behmor roaster now as its simply not get used that much anymore. Upgraditis kicked a few weeks ago once I'd spotted Doodees purchase

Well I got this from F&B the other week for 8.50€, I'm using them now for espresso and I'm not a massive fan.

So the one in BH is 'Blend 24' I think, it;'s in a red bag, I hope it's better. This it was 7.95€

On a side note the service in BH is shocking bad. Slow and constantly getting the orders wrong!

I've been drinking the nicaraguan as a filter and its pretty nice, but I've yet to try it as an espresso.
    Their house blend is pretty nice for espresso, and so is the Loyaza, I think its marked as a Bolivian.
    All those silver bags are from HasBean as well.

Pop into Coffee Angel on South Anne st and try their espresso blend, its another consistently good blend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

donnacha wrote: »
    info@coffeemojo.ie

Have started getting 1 kg bags of espresso from CoffeeMojo due to the €40 required for free postage. Have been really impresed with their espresso roast profiles ... of course this set-off a new personal debate as to whether I should just sell off the Behmor roaster now as its simply not get used that much anymore. Upgraditis kicked a few weeks ago once I'd spotted Doodees purchase

It was strange though as Kevin did pm me back and forth a few times.

Anyway was grand to try somewhere different just for a change.

I will go back to them though as it was quality stuff.

How are you storing the 1kg bag if you dont mind me asking or do you just drink a lot of coffee.

Its only me in our house that drinks it so it would end up going past its best if I bought €40's worth.

I need to get a friend addicted to the point that I am!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

It was strange though as Kevin did pm me back and forth a few times.

Anyway was grand to try somewhere different just for a change.

I will go back to them though as it was quality stuff.

I wouldnt PM Kevin. I dont think he logs into his account often (I think he was waiting for a reply from the admins regarding getting permission to post as a coffee shop owner but never got a reply, but I could be wrong).

Email him next time, I would be surprised if he doesnt reply within 15 minutes.

Can recommend him enough, have been using them for a few months now and the service has been excellent so far.

I still order from other places (none in Europe tough) like sweetmaria but the main reason is because he only sells a small variety of green beans and I like to try new things all the time! Also, because I buy green beans I dont have to worry about long delivery times! :)

I roast two 250 gr batches (~215 grs after roasted) per week, so 1 kg would last me a bit over 2 weeks. I dont consider myself to be a heavy coffee drinker though! (my wife only drinks coffee during the weekend).

I dont need to worry about storage. I just keep my beans on a sealed glass container at room temperature.

info@coffeemojo.ie

I couldnt live without a roaster!

Although I have to say that roasting with the behmor is a bit of a pain compared to roasting with my hottop. It is so much easier to clean and the whole roasting process requires much less attention! So maybe you should consider upgrading your roaster? lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Sorry to hijack this thread. I have a query. I've just been given a 2 kilo or so bag of unroasted beans brought back from Ethiopia, and would like to get them roasted. Is there anyone in Dublin city who does this sort of thing? (IE you bring your own small bag of beans in, and they roast them for you?) I have a grinder at home so don't need them ground, just roasted nicely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

Sorry to hijack this thread. I have a query. I've just been given a 2 kilo or so bag of unroasted beans brought back from Ethiopia, and would like to get them roasted. Is there anyone in Dublin city who does this sort of thing? (IE you bring your own small bag of beans in, and they roast them for you?) I have a grinder at home so don't need them ground, just roasted nicely!

you could roast them yourself. i have been experimenting lately and I get a good result roasting in a wok. put wok heating on low to medium heat add 150gm of green beans. stir continuously and keep the beans moving. it takes approx 10 mins to reach a roast colour i like.

I dont know of any place who will do this.

Where do you live?

you could roast them yourself. i have been experimenting lately and I get a good result roasting in a wok. put wok heating on low to medium heat add 150gm of green beans. stir continuously and keep the beans moving. it takes approx 10 mins to reach a roast colour i like.

Let's assume that I wouldn't be asking if there was somewhere in Dublin that could do it for me if I was in a position to do it myself.
    Is there anyone in town will roast a couple of kilo of beans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Upgraditis kicked a few weeks ago once I'd spotted Doodees purchase
    I'd say sorry but it wouldn't really be true ;)

Waiting on some Sweet shop to arrive to try out.

You could try using a Popcorn popper. That's how I started and its fairly inexpensive (got an Aldi one for 10euro) but you can only do small batches, about 150g at a time.

Do you know any info about the type of beans?

They're unroasted beans from the Zege peninsula, Ethiopia, where coffee is believed to have originated.
    I used to roast my own beans in the oven, but my current living arrangements preclude that, so I need someone to do it for me. Is there really no one in Dublin can do this?

They're unroasted beans from the Zege peninsula, Ethiopia, where coffee is believed to have originated.
    I used to roast my own beans in the oven, but my current living arrangements preclude that, so I need someone to do it for me. Is there really no one in Dublin can do this?

You can try ringing a roaster but likely it will end up being a bit expensive. also, I dont know of any roasters in Dublin. Cafemojo are in Wicklow but I am not sure if Kev will roast this for you.

If you leave close to sandyford I can probably do it for you, maybe

I'm in Dublin city centre, but I go to the North a lot.
    Is there anyone in Belfast would do it?

• Advertisement

How are you storing the 1kg bag if you dont mind me asking or do you just drink a lot of coffee.

Its only me in our house that drinks it so it would end up going past its best if I bought €40's worth.

I need to get a friend addicted to the point that I am!!

The 1kg bag typically lasts 3 wks. Some would say that the beans are at their best 2/3 weeks post roasting anyway. Mind you its not me drinking all the espresso in my house as I tend to only have a double espresso in the morning and then I'm on the filter for the day.

I'm in Dublin city centre, but I go to the North a lot.
    Is there anyone in Belfast would do it?

I think you should take Bohrio up on his offer :D

Honestly though I've never heard of any roaster that does this. They could possibly do it as a favour for a regular but these guys spend that much time getting the roast profile right for any particular crop that a 2 kilo bag is probably what they'd roast just getting it right.

The other solution is to take up roasting and offer me some silly money for my Behmor that I'm debating selling :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

Try Sasha House Petite. They are local, small and friendly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭vigos

I ordered from hasbean Sunday night and just picked up coffee from parcel motel tonight it was only shipped yesterday so that's quick!

Very impressed with parcel motel , will be the freshest roasted coffee I've had from hasbean

vigos wrote: »
    I ordered from hasbean Sunday night and just picked up coffee from parcel motel tonight it was only shipped yesterday so that's quick!

Very impressed with parcel motel , will be the freshest roasted coffee I've had from hasbean

Haha same here, ordered Sunday night and just got an email with my pin and is ready for collection!

Thats a record :)

Just put in my first order to Coffee Mojo.

2 bags

1 x Finca Muxbal Espresso Whole Bean (WB) - 227g Bag
    1 x El Majahual Espresso Whole Bean (WB) - 227g Bag

Came to €14.60 including shipping.

Anyone tried either?

Was tempted by the Espresso blend too, black magic I think it's called.

2 bags

Anyone tried either?

They are expensive enough considering the bags are just 227 gram's? Why is that? the 250g bags are small enough !!

Yeah, but I don't think you'll see it too much cheaper elsewhere.

227g is .5 lbs, probably the standard size for American roasters.

• Advertisement

PPC wrote: »
    227g is .5 lbs, probably the standard size for American roasters.

Ok would explain but would then be strange or a .ie to use this, no!

Ok would explain but would then be strange or a .ie to use this, no!
    Got this very nice reply from Kevin in Mojo and Im sure he wont mind if I share with you all...

Thank you for your enquiry. Coffee Mojo bags sold through the webstore are packed in 227g and larger 1kg bags. The reason 227g is used rather than a heavier 250g weight is that a 250g bag would incur the next post tarrif and there would be a charge of €4.00 in postage (using An Post) to send a 250g bag rather than €1.50 currently charged to send a 227g bag. In addition, I can flatten the 227g bags and send two 227g bags for €2.10 in postage, while the slightly larger 250g bags would not flatten sufficiently to qualify for the large envelope rate (and would incur the €4.00 packet rate).

Incidently there is no 'norm' for coffee bag weights. While some UK based online stores sell coffee in 250g weights, Square Mile in the UK sell coffee in 350g bags. Most of the coffee packed on shelves in Irish supermarkets is sold in 227g bags.

I am supplying 250g bags to some stores in Dublin.

Kind regards,

Kevin
    Coffee Mojo

I think thats as a good an explanation as one could hope for and all things considered it does work out a very fare price. Mmmm I might place an order now :)

2 bags

Anyone tried either?

I have tried them both and they are excellent beans. My favorite though is the Nicaraguan Finca La Argentina, excellent espresso, also, very easy to roast.

In my opinion, everyone should consider buying a roaster! The amount of money you save is unbelievable!!! Not to mention that you will always get Freshly roasted coffee!!!

For example, 1 kg of La Argentina, 1 kg of Muxbal and 1 kg of Pulped Brazilian cost me including shipping around 60 euro (bought from coffee mojo).

That's 4.5 euro per 227 grms... although green beans lose around 10-15% of the weight after roasted... but still!

And the best thing about it is that there is no fear of green beans going stale during shipping

Bohrio wrote: »
    I have tried them both and they are excellent beans. My favorite though is the Nicaraguan Finca La Argentina, excellent espresso, also, very easy to roast.

In my opinion, everyone should consider buying a roaster! The amount of money you save is unbelievable!!! Not to mention that you will always get Freshly roasted coffee!!!

For example, 1 kg of La Argentina, 1 kg of Muxbal and 1 kg of Pulped Brazilian cost me including shipping around 60 euro (bought from coffee mojo).

That's 4.5 euro per 227 grms... although green beans lose around 10-15% of the weight after roasted... but still!

And the best thing about it is that there is no fear of green beans going stale during shipping

Thanks for this info I am sitting on the fence and pondering roasting my own! but I am tying to justify the hassle and cost of this! Firstly you'd have to buy a roaster an I have no idea where you get this first of and what the cost would be but I'll take a guess an say around €200. Then there is the cost of running it - ESB yes Im sure this will add up an ESB is not cheap and Im led to believe that roasting is a long process - 2-3 hours!! Then theres the possibility of messing it up and getting it wrong!

So Im thinking is it worth it? whats the advantages? Ok the obvious - fresh coffee! and if you buy in bluk youd have plenty of it! but I find when I get my coffee roasted it normally tastes better about 5-6 days of getting it so going stale in the post would never happen! How long can green beans be stored for and do they be as fresh are a period of time ?

Anyway these are just thought an concerns I have at the moment maybe you can persuade me :)

Bohrio wrote: »

In my opinion, everyone should consider buying a roaster!

whats the SP and footprint size on a home roaster?

whats the SP and footprint size on a home roaster?

Mines a bit bigger than an average microwave http://www.behmor.com/behmor-1600.php

• Advertisement

Cable guy, not sure where you got 2-3 hours, more like 10~20 minutes for a batch.
    I think I paid around GBP 200 for the Behmor.

My coffee mojo arrived this morning, excellent service, given it was only roasted yesterday, delighted to have coffee for the weekend!!

Also my second last subscription from has bean is on the way, sounds like a good coffee too...

http://www.hasbean.co.uk/collections/america-el-salvador/products/el-salvador-monserrat-red-bourbon-washed

"In the cup expect a lovely nutty flavour mixed with a milk chocolate base. It's a simple cup which works very well in brewed and espresso. The tiniest acidity, which is controlled, and has the loveliest smooth aftertaste."

My coffee mojo arrived this morning, excellent service, given it was only roasted yesterday, delighted to have coffee for the weekend!!

Also my second last subscription from has bean is on the way, sounds like a good coffee too...

http://www.hasbean.co.uk/collections/america-el-salvador/products/el-salvador-monserrat-red-bourbon-washed

"In the cup expect a lovely nutty flavour mixed with a milk chocolate base. It's a simple cup which works very well in brewed and espresso. The tiniest acidity, which is controlled, and has the loveliest smooth aftertaste."

Let us know how the Mojo goes....

Just spotted on coffee mojo site that fallon and byrne are going to be stocking them going forward. Will be interesting to see how these are priced compared to the current range of Hasbean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

I have to say coffee mojo is very competitively priced, just drinking their featured COE coffee, a rwandan, (aeropress, extremely well balanced with a lot of flavours combining into a very controlled cup) and this coffee costs 8 euro. Similar quality HasBean coffees often cost 12 euros in 3fe or TP.

I would love to be able to buy the coffee without paying for delivery, especially the coffee sometimes gets sent to a depot and I have to go pick it up. Is the hasbean coffee siginificantly marked up in F&B ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement