Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any Northern Ireland Catholics celebrating centenary of Ulster Covenant?

• 30-09-2012 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭

Will any Catholics in Northern Ireland be celebrating this weeks centenary celebrations of the signing of the Ulster Covenant?

Given that a much-discussed poll by the Northern Ireland Life and Times Survey, published in January of this year, claimed that a majority of Catholics wanted Northern Ireland to remain within the United Kingdom, they might well want to celebrate an event that was pivotal in the formation of their state.

If anyone can provide examples of Catholics celebrating the centenary of the Ulster Covenant, I would like to see them.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

...If anyone can provide examples of Catholics celebrating, I would like to see them.

That sounds a bit chilling! :eek:

:pac:

Edit: O' silly me!
    You would like to see example of celebrating by Catholics - not the Catholics themselves!

DOH! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

Mary Mcaleese is probably at it.

Personally I can't see why any Irish person would be celebrating the usurption of the democratic will of the Irish people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

If anyone can provide examples of Catholics celebrating, I would like to see them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Not being enthused about a UI is not the same as celebrating the creation of a sectarian cesspit that ensured Protestant/Unionist privilege.

Logic fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

If anyone can provide examples of Catholics celebrating, I would like to see them.

There!

*points to pub in Norn Iron filled with nuns dancing around with pints of Beamish*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

No Catholic signed it so why would they celebrate it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

You sure don't make me laugh OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Here ya go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Will any Catholics in Northern Ireland be celebrating this weeks centenary celebrations of the signing of the Ulster Covenant?

Given that a much-discussed poll by the Northern Ireland Life and Times Survey, published in January of this year, claimed that a majority of Catholics wanted Northern Ireland to remain within the United Kingdom, they might well want to celebrate an event that was pivotal in the formation of their state.

If anyone can provide examples of Catholics celebrating the centenary of the Ulster Covenant, I would like to see them.

Wanting to stay part of the UK and feeling British are different things.

Don't assume that all (or even most) Protestants are celebrating either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

paky wrote: »
    Mary Mcaleese is probably at it.

Personally I can't see why any Irish person would be celebrating the usurption of the democratic will of the Irish people

Neither can I, but this was 1912. That came before 1916/1918.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Nick Griffin had a great time. Hopefully they will set up here to further split the unionist vote!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭seantorious

Britian pays alot of money into NI so why would people want to join the south? You couldn't possible match the amount. Considering that 60% of University attendees are "Catholic" we are treated a hell of a lot better than most think we are.

Advertisement