Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is time travel possible

• 30-09-2012 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Agent Mug

Is time travel possible, are our ideas base on time travel, are our dreams base on time travel, our memories are base on time travel back to the past, so is time travel possible, physically.

Does it already exist.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Michael J fox already did it.

His memory is a bit shakey though.

Yes, we go forward in time all the... time

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

Agent Mug wrote: »
    Is time travel possible, are our ideas base on time travel, are our dreams base on time travel, our memories are base on time travel back to the past, so is time travel possible, physically.

Does it already exist.

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Yes, but only under a very particular and nearly impossible set of conditions which would take a up a lot of the universe' resources.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Agent Mug wrote: »

Does it already exist.

Not yet - but ask me yesterday!

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I think sheldon did it best.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

By the time you read this it will be in the future, me writing it will be in the past, and you thanking it will be in the present.

That, my friends, is time travel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I would so love to travel really far into the future. Like the year 6000 or something. It annoys me that im not going to be able to see everything that happens on the earth. That's why I want the world to end this year :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

28 days... 6 hours... 42 minutes... 12 seconds. That... is when the world... will end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I've heard it might be possible to travel forward but not backward.
    If it was possible I wouldn't want to. Either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

nuxxx wrote: »
    28 days... 6 hours... 42 minutes... 12 seconds. That... is when the world... will end.

Why don't you suck a f*ck?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Oh, please, tell me NegativeCreep, how exactly does one suck a f*ck?

Sound like my mrs "period countdown"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

Oh, please, tell me NegativeCreep, how exactly does one suck a f*ck?

You start by putting a f*ck in your mouth.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

I was just having this conversation with Ghengis Khan last week, he thought it was impossible.

I had just convinced him it was true when Elvis and Ghandi arrived.

Turned out a good night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭GEasy

It is possible to go back in time. Just go fast!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Theoretically, yes it is possible that in some distant, distant, distant future there has been technology invented that allows for time travel. However, my guess is that it only allows the user to travel forward in time, and is also probably completely useless, since the earth is moving through space and space is expanding so the time machine would also have to incorporate teleportation, and that's just crazy. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Agent Mug

In one short space of time, already my seconds are speeding up, brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Time travel is probably possible. Human time travel probably isn't.

or ****e, i stop.

• Advertisement

If time travel were possible, it would have happened already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    the time machine would also have to incorporate teleportation, and that's just crazy. :P

I watched a documentary recently that explained how teleportation is actually possible and scientists are experimenting with it.
    I think it said it'll start with teleporting one atom and grow from there. To teleport a large object would mean breaking it down into single atoms and sending them individually, and then rebuilding them at the other end----which is the really hard part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I don't believe one future exists.

I hate the idea of destiny.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

My mate John Connor agrees with you.
    (I think he's off his head!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Apparently a few thousand Boardies shared every lottery since they began so sometime in the future, we'll all worth 2 cents....

As a concept, predestination was doomed from the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Time travel has not yet been invented, therefore time travel back to now or before is not possible.

what did you say

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Savage924

Theoretically, yes it is possible that in some distant, distant, distant future there has been technology invented that allows for time travel. However, my guess is that it only allows the user to travel forward in time, and is also probably completely useless, since the earth is moving through space and space is expanding so the time machine would also have to incorporate teleportation, and that's just crazy. :P

Or they could only time travel in exactly years every time.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 373 ✭✭Internet Hero

Nobody here knows

Savage924 wrote: »
    Or they could only time travel in exactly years every time.

Given time is relative that wouldn't happen. A year means nothing to time itself, it only means something to us.

Given time is relative that wouldn't happen. A year means nothing to time itself, it only means something to us.

so that mean time travel does exist, because we are the creaters of our own time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

Dean09 wrote: »
    the time machine would also have to incorporate teleportation, and that's just crazy. :P

I watched a documentary recently that explained how teleportation is actually possible and scientists are experimenting with it.
    I think it said it'll start with teleporting one atom and grow from there. To teleport a large object would mean breaking it down into single atoms and sending them individually, and then rebuilding them at the other end----which is the really hard part.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is not a documentary ;-)

galwayrush wrote: »
    As a concept, predestination was doomed from the start.

ICWUDT.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Savage924

Well if you punch in a date on the time travel machine I'm guessing it transport's your body to the exact same place you left from , if you didn't do it in year's then you would transport to somewhere in space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is not a documentary ;-)

YOU TAKE THAT BACK!!!!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,407 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

forward yes afaik, backwards no. Stephen Hawking did a decent documentary on time travel recently enough, worth a look, heres a few snippets.

i have transport myself to a future thought, but I'm still here cant wait till that time to see if i made any changes, for the better of course

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

benwavner wrote: »
    Sound like my mrs "period countdown"

Vigina jokes are not funny. Period

uberalles wrote: »

isnt nature beautiful

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,407 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Dean09 wrote: »

They're already able to teleport photons, there's actually a bit of a battle going on to see who can go the farthest: http://www.technologyreview.com/view/427969/european-physicists-smash-chinese-teleportation/

uberalles wrote: »

True, they are bloody awful! Thats why I usually keep my vagina jokes, tight lipped.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Well, I would guess not, my reasoning being that time doesn't actually exist - it's just a human concept to perceive life as we know it. It may be possible someday to cryogenically freeze yourself and emerge in the future, but...

If time travel is possible the human race will eventually discover it.

On topic.

"During October, 1971, four cesium atomic beam clocks were flown on regularly scheduled commercial jet flights around the world twice, once eastward and once westward, to test Einstein's theory of relativity with macroscopic clocks. From the actual flight paths of each trip, the theory predicted that the flying clocks, compared with reference clocks at the U.S. Naval Observatory, should have lost 40+/-23 nanoseconds during the eastward trip and should have gained 275+/-21 nanoseconds during the westward trip ... Relative to the atomic time scale of the U.S. Naval Observatory, the flying clocks lost 59+/-10 nanoseconds during the eastward trip and gained 273+/-7 nanosecond during the westward trip, where the errors are the corresponding standard deviations. These results provide an unambiguous empirical resolution of the famous clock "paradox" with macroscopic clocks."

J.C. Hafele and R. E. Keating, Science 177, 166 (1972)

Source

^^^ In Engrish plz? :)

Well, I would guess not, my reasoning being that time doesn't actually exist - it's just a human concept to perceive life as we know it. It may be possible someday to cryogenically freeze yourself and emerge in the future, but...

If time travel is possible the human race will eventually discover it.

You mean Human Intelligence

Well if you punch in a date on the time travel machine I'm guessing it transport's your body to the exact same place you left from , if you didn't do it in year's then you would transport to somewhere in space.

You would have to punch a time and location into a something that travels through space-time. Not just time. And the earth doesn't move like you describe, there is a "wobble" so to speak, it's not moving in a perfect exact axis around the sun, it moves slightly up and down as well.

The problem with time travel is that it would be very difficult to workout where and when something will appear, it's not just moving through time, it's space-time.

I won't pretend to be an expert here, (probably the first time that was said on the internet) but the first challenge for time travel is teleportation so that you can actually put things where you want them, after that you have the actual time travel itself so that you can put it when you want it. Getting the two to mesh will be quite difficult. And as has been said, will probably only work for sending to the future, not to the past.

I predict it will be 100 years or so before something small is sent forward and will take another 10 years for something living, but longer for a human, if it's even possible.

Lost in space then, not only are we travelling around the sun at an enormous speed, but the sun is moving in a massive orbit around the centre of our Galaxy, which in turn is on a collision course with Andromoda.
    So, time is a definite place/ location that only occurs once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

benwavner wrote: »
    ^^^ In Engrish plz? :)
    Don't answer, he's obviously a Chinese spy looking for our time travel secrets!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

IF its true that a wormhole can bend space.... then surely time travel would be possible.

Of course if.

• Advertisement
Advertisement