Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is time travel possible

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Don't answer, he's obviously a Chinese spy looking for our time travel secrets!

Me so solly! Busted. :pac:

I reckon time travel will happen at some stage, maybe it already has. When you sit and think about it, look what mankind has achieved in our relatively short amount of time.

We started out dragging our knuckles and throwing faeces at each other. Now we have iPhone 5s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

benwavner wrote: »
    ^^^ In Engrish plz? :)

It basically proves Einstien's theory that time is relative to the observer.
    The Twin Paradox shows how time changes because of speed and mass. The faster someone or something moves or the more mass they have, then the slower time passes for them. This is shown by a pair of twins who are born at the same time. Let us name the first twin as T1 and the second twin as T2. We place T1 in a rocket, which travels at the speed of light, while the other twin stays back on the earth. On his return T2 finds out that his brother[T1] is younger than he is. But as for the twin T1 he finds out that his brother[T2]is older.

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_paradox

I'll be honest. I don't understand how it works I just know that it does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

uberalles wrote: »
    Sound like my mrs "period countdown"

Vigina jokes are not funny. Period

Cum on guys, gay jokes are not funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Agent Mug

we started of as worms then we grew into humans with our own intelligence of existence of our time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Part of what I don't understand is why its all related to the speed of LIGHT in particular!
    What is the fastest speed an atom/molecule can move in theory so far?
    If we can reach that after deassembling a human form - speed it on its way - and recombining our selves down to DNA sequence and atomic level again, time travel in theory must be possible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Biggins wrote: »
    Part of what I don't understand is why its all related to the speed of LIGHT in particular!
    If we can reach that after deassembling a human form - speed it on its way - and recombining our selves down to DNA sequence and atomic level again, time travel in theory must be possible?

The Speed of Light is as fast as an object can move through space, but if it's moving through Space-Time then the speed of light doesn't come into it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 373 ✭✭Internet Hero

Nothing of mass can travel at the speed of light as according to relativity that would require infinite energy. Photons are massless.

time travel in theory must be possible?

Time travel (into the future) is not only possible but proven. Check out my last two posts.

if you start thinking of speed then you're going to fast slow down time is our

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

anyone interested in time travel should watch the movie Primer, its not an easy watch, the narrative is a bit all over the place and it doesnt spoonfeed you in any way shape or form but its a great example how how baffling time travel can get.

Time seems man made something we create everyday in our existence to give things order, we don't know what our existence is for or what "time" exactly is and if its being recorded somewhere external.
    I don't think our existence is a set thing with the future predetermined. Things happened and things will happen and things are happening right now
    If we had a better understanding of life maybe wed no whether it is possible or not

Nothing of mass can travel at the speed of light as according to relativity that would require infinite energy. Photons are massless.

...But do we need infinite energy as such to speed things up for an ever sustained period, to such a high degree that it will need to be an ever constant?

And who is to say someday, some century, the capability of creating infinite energy might arrive?

(I ask 'cos I'm totally uneducated in these matters)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is time travel possible?

The American Ryder Cup team would like it to be about 1970 again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

See told you its possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Let me just travel back in time with a comment to prove it

• Advertisement

...But do we need infinite energy as such to speed things up for an ever sustained period, to such a high degree that it will need to be an ever constant?

And who is to say someday, some century, the capability of creating infinite energy might arrive?

(I ask 'cos I'm totally uneducated in these matters)

Because that would violate the conservation of energy. Energy cannot be created or destroyed only changed from one form to another.

Harvesting and recycling energy may become possible but "creating" it never will.

divide psychological time from physical time then you will find true time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

Now we have Galaxy S3s

FYP. ;)

Dean09 wrote: »
    ViveLaVie wrote: »
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is not a documentary ;-)

YOU TAKE THAT BACK!!!!

Willy Wonka is a hack! A fiction! Sorry to break it to ya :(

FYP. ;)

I have the Galaxy S

Thats how far I am behind........I hate Apple products.

• Advertisement

FYP. ;)

I have the Galaxy S

Thats how far I am behind........I hate Apple products.

More respectable than an iPhone Ben. Hold onto that for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Agent Mug wrote: »
    Is time travel possible, are our ideas base on time travel, are our dreams base on time travel, our memories are base on time travel back to the past, so is time travel possible, physically.

Does it already exist.

I have travelled forward in time from 1985 to tell you that yes, time travel exists!

It took me 27 years to get here, so you had better believe me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

It worked!!!!

In theory it should work, hold on and I'll try it.

More respectable than an iPhone Ben. Hold onto that for now.

Agreed,

The mrs has iPods, iTouch, iPad, iPhones............yet still cant use them, brutal they are.

Anyway, time travel - Yes please.

Sea Sharp wrote: »
    It worked!!!!
    Sea Sharp wrote: »
    In theory it should work, hold on and I'll try it.

I applaud you, Sir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭brimal

tallaghtmick did that joke an hour ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭brimal

If anyone wants to read a comprehensive book on time, then I would recommend Sean Carroll's book From Eternity to Here.

It is a fascinating read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

If I did perfect it I would go back in time and get the Virgin Mary prego:D

brimal wrote: »
    tallaghtmick did that joke an hour ago

I did it first, he just travelled back a little bit further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I read a book about it before and it is totally possible IF we can design a vessel capable of travelling faster than the speed of light. Or if you find a wormhole in space, but again you need a pretty deadly vessel there.

So maybe someday! But theoretically it is possible.

This was the book

I read a book about it before and it is totally possible IF we can design a vessel capable of travelling faster than the speed of light. Or if you find a wormhole in space, but again you need a pretty deadly vessel there.

So maybe someday! But theoretically it is possible.

This was the book

Another point of interest:
    If we could develop a telescope with a couple of billion times more resolution than the hubble telescope and we could send it away from earth faster than the speed of light then we'd be able to look back at earth and see it as it was in the past

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sir Pompous Righteousness

Yes you can. You can go forward in time but it's relative to velocity according to Lorentz transformations. However, you can only go forward in time in your own frame of reference. If you take a jet from Dublin to New York, in theory, you'll be a few millionths of a second ahead in time when you arrive in New York if the plane is traveling between 500 and 700 mph. This is time dilation. You'll only notice it really at very high speeds. The idea is that time in your own frame of reference slows down as your velocity increases. You have to take it into account all the time when you're doing calculation in special relativity because some subatomic particles can travel close to the speed of light.

You cannot go back in time however. The conversion factor is given by the following:

Take two mirrors, A and B, that are both facing each other. A and B are separated by some distance L. The period it takes for the light to go back and forth, i.e., A to B and back to A, is;

[PHP]Delta(T) = 2*L/c

where c is the speed of light.[/PHP]

Now consider Delta(T)', which is the difference in time for the light to travel between mirror A and B relative to a moving observer. This can be written as;

[PHP]Delta(T)' = Delta(T)/[sqrt(1-(v^2)/(c^2))]

where v is the velocity of the moving observer.[/PHP]

Let's consider a jet plane travelling between Dublin and New York at an average velocity of 700 km/h or roughly 194 meters per second. It takes the jet plane about 5 hours to reach New York, or 18000 seconds. To see the traveling time according to the aircraft, we just use the above equation.

[PHP]So, Delta(T)' = 18000/[sqrt(1-(194^2)/(3*10^8^2)]

Delta(T)' = 18000.0000000038[/PHP]

You do that out and, if my calculations are correct, you get that it'll take you 18000.0000000038 seconds OR 5.00000000000106 hours OR 5 hours 0.0000000038 seconds to reach New York, while to an observer on the ground it would take 5 hours. So you're basically ahead when you reach New York you'll be ahead in time by 0.0000000038 seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I watched a documentary recently that explained how teleportation is actually possible and scientists are experimenting with it.
    I think it said it'll start with teleporting one atom and grow from there. To teleport a large object would mean breaking it down into single atoms and sending them individually, and then rebuilding them at the other end----which is the really hard part.

Note to self: patent the Heisenberg compensator.

Because that would violate the conservation of energy. Energy cannot be created or destroyed only changed from one form to another.

Harvesting and recycling energy may become possible but "creating" it never will.

Sorry to ask what probably is a stupid question/statement, but if we can create power out of a steam engine or energy out of a nuclear station, then surely we can some day create energy out of another process yet to be discovered.
    Take that energy then and let it be used to speed certain things up at sub-atomic level, go faster than light (still don't understand why its has to be always just faster than light and not something more faster if it exists)!

I'm exposing my complete stupidity on these matters but they are questions I sometimes wonder about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    the time machine would also have to incorporate teleportation, and that's just crazy. :P

I watched a documentary recently that explained how teleportation is actually possible and scientists are experimenting with it.
    I think it said it'll start with teleporting one atom and grow from there. To teleport a large object would mean breaking it down into single atoms and sending them individually, and then rebuilding them at the other end----which is the really hard part.

I never understand the whole concept of human teleportation, surely once the person is rebuilt on the other side all that would be left is a dead body?

Even if the teleportation was a success surely the person recreated on the other side would just be the equivalent of an identical twin of the original person transported? A bit like the Ship of Theseus. As there is nothing particularly unique about the atoms that constitute a body then teleportation is surely just a more complicated version of creating an adult clone?

Sorry to ask what probably is a stupid question/statement, but if we can create power out of a steam engine or energy out of a nuclear station, then surely we can some day create energy out of another process yet to be discovered.
    Take that energy then and let it be used to speed certain things up at sub-atomic level, go faster than light (still don't understand why its has to be always just faster than light and not something more faster if it exists)!

I'm exposing my complete stupidity on these matters but they are questions I sometimes wonder about.

FTL is the limit because only massless particles (in rest frame) can go that fast. So it's pretty much a maximum, until you start throwing quantum physics around, but that's all pretty new I think
    The problem with reaching ftl is that your mass exponentially increases once you start getting anywhere near that speed
    I think the lorenz equ is: new mass = rest mass/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2) where c is speed of light
    so you can see the issue there

I never understand the whole concept of human teleportation, surely once the person is rebuilt on the other side all that would be left is a dead body?

Even if the teleportation was a success surely the person recreated on the other side would just be the equivalent of an identical twin of the original person transported? A bit like the Ship of Theseus. As there is nothing particularly unique about the atoms that constitute a body then teleportation is surely just a more complicated version of creating an adult clone?

Yeh, destroys the original and recreates the new one
    Brings up all sorts of fun questions about "you" :D
    I see a new world record has been made with it:
    http://www.esa.int/esaCP/SEMLWO7YJ6H_index_0.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Whats this doing in ah? Don't we already have a time machine forum?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

"The Forever War" is a (deservedly) classic sci-fi work that has marines in a future war who are travelling at extremely high speeds to fight in a war.
    Returning home they suffer from time dilation (as described in posts above) which is used very effectively to show the alienation war can bring about.

Overall though that's the closest I can see it occurring - only forwards, never back. Not unless we learn to harness the power of suns by making a bunch of them go supernova!

• Advertisement

No such thing as a stupid question, just an unanswered one.

You aren't "creating" energy in a steam engine or a nuclear power plant, you're just changing it from one form to another.

In a steam engine it's from chemical energy (coal) to heat energy (steam) to kinetic energy (movement) and when it's at the top of a hill there is potential energy.

Nuclear power uses chemical energy as well in the form of whatever radioactive material is used. Then it's converted into heat energy.

I do think a way will be found to harness energy from new sources that have vastly more energy locked inside of them. But not in my lifetime I suspect. It will be a result of space travel.

Aside from the last bit which is just my opinion, the rest is what I remember from Physics in school and other stuff I've looked up since, it could be wrong but I'm pretty sure it's not. I'll bow to others knowledge if they think I am though.
    ixoy wrote: »
    Overall though that's the closest I can see it occurring - only forwards, never back. Not unless we learn to harness the power of suns by making a bunch of them go supernova!

You're the mod of stargate, you know we can travel back in time, we just need a wormhole, a device to harness it, and the right solar flare :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

As seen as the future has not happened then you would be going forward to nothing at all, if you believe that there would be something there if you could go forward as in people, then they would be coming back to us now, unless people believe you can only go forward then it would mean leaving your whole life behind going forward.

Time travel is ridonculous, and im not talking about clocks adjusting by miliseconds been time travel.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I'll ask me physics lecturer what the Craic is with this time travel stuff. He's a very smart man, he'll have some insight :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I have watched some documentaries on this topic . . Love some of those weird shows . . From what I can gather the only way of time travelling is forward, but not as some might imagine it.

I presume many are aware of the time distortions that take place near a black hole. In essence, time slows down the closer you get to a black hole until it eventually stops. I cant say for certain, but from what (little) I understand, if you had supersight you would see a person closer to the black hole move and age slower and they would see you move and age quicker.

I also remember seeing some show that suggested that you can time travel on earth. If you built a train that travels the length of the earth and it drove at the fastest speed possible (speed of light I think) for a couple of years. I dont know the exact details but you would age at a lesser rate then those in earth not in the train . .

If you had a watch on the train (or a spaceship going towards the blackhole), it would differ from a clock that was not near the black hole or on the train . . Hence, time travel . . I suppose you could argue that by opening the train after its journey is in essence a trip back in time because everthing on that train would of aged at a slower rate !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

It is possible and I have travelled through time. This one time when I was a hooligan/ student, I got obliterated on beer and drugs and anything else I could find to our in my system and when I finally passed out at around 11am in the morning, I slept for 4hrs and woke at 3pm but 2days had passed!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,407 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

cowzerp wrote: »
    As seen as the future has not happened then you would be going forward to nothing at all, if you believe that there would be something there if you could go forward as in people, then they would be coming back to us now, unless people believe you can only go forward then it would mean leaving your whole life behind going forward.

Travel to the future isn't a case of just jumping forward to a different time, its a case of you perceiving time at a different speed to everyone else. If you travel forward 100 years in time it means 100 years will have actually passed for everyone except you, there's no going back. Time isn't just a human construct, it actually exists, but the way most people perceive it is different to how it actually acts. It's more like a river than people realise, objects with great mass can effect how it moves, just like a rock causes an eddy in a river. This is why the internal clocks in GPS satellites have to adjust themselves everyday to remain accurate, because the mass of the earth causes time up there to go at a different speed to down here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Travel to the future isn't a case of just jumping forward to a different time, its a case of you perceiving time at a different speed to everyone else. If you travel forward 100 years in time it means 100 years will have actually passed for everyone except you, there's no going back. Time isn't just a human construct, it actually exists, but the way most people perceive it is different to how it actually acts. It's more like a river than people realise, objects with great mass can effect how it moves, just like a rock causes an eddy in a river. This is why the internal clocks in GPS satellites have to adjust themselves everyday to remain accurate, because the mass of the earth causes time up there to go at a different speed to down here.

I take it you've done this :o

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,407 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

cowzerp wrote: »
    I take it you've done this :o

Absolutely :D or possibly I just watch too much TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Barman says: "We don't serve subatomic particles in here."

A neutrino walks into a bar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sir Pompous Righteousness

Barman says: "We don't serve subatomic particles in here."

A neutrino walks into a bar

A neutrino walks into a bar and asks the barman for a beer. The barman serves the beer duly and when asked by the neutrino how much the beer costs, the barman replies "For you, no charge!".

Old physics jokes are old.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

It is.

• Advertisement
Advertisement