Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy food question

• 30-09-2012 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

Hi we got our little yorkie chewbacca last Tuesday he was eating pedagree chum puppy pouches, I changed him over a few days to hills puppy mini. The vet recommended 80g for him which seems a tiny amount and he's only eating about 30g to 40g a day afraid he's not eating enough but don't want to back to the wet food any advice welcome!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Hills would be much higher quality than pedigree chum or any other supermarket food hence why you don't have to give nearly as much.

As for him not eating as much as he should, how are you feeding him, 1 meal a day or more? For a pup of that age I would be feeding 3 meals a day, little and often is much better for them. So we'll say 30g in the morning, 30g in the afternoon and 20g in the evening, or what ever way you want to divide it up, that's just an example.

Also make sure that you give him good habits, bad habits now can be very hard to break later. When you put down his food, leave it there for 15 minutes then take it away regardless of whether he eats it or not. Do not be tempted to give him something to make it more appetising such as wet food, he will start to expect it all the time every time and will refuse dry alone when he knows he can get it. Of course he should enjoy his food but that doesn't mean that you have to spoil him.

Stick with the plan and everything should fall into place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

good advise from meoklmrk91!!
    Great name for a yorkie too!

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭lisa_celtic

Iv been giving 20g morning 30g at lunch at 30g at 7pm. Just hate to think he's hungry :( he's full of life most the time gets very tied after walks and just snuggles up with us live him but a lot of hard work!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

How old is your puppy?

He is 4 months only weighs 1.4kg the vet said he is not under weight just small for his age.. we brought him for his first two talks at the weekend. :) the improvements over the two days from sitting and not moving to walking and looking at other dogs and people was great! he is biting like mad though starting puppy classes on the 20th so praying he stops biting me before then any advice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Ah right, was just checking how old he was and just making sure that hes not on walks that are too long for him. How long are the walks you bring him on? At 4 months, the max he should be walking is 20mins a day.

andreac wrote: »
    Ah right, was just checking how old he was and just making sure that hes not on walks that are too long for him. How long are the walks you bring him on? At 4 months, the max he should be walking is 20mins a day.

Yesterday we walked about 40minutes very slowly through the Forrest today was 20 minutes up and down the road he's like a dog possessed tonight biting, running around like a lunatic, jumping if a class tomorrow night so looking forward to a break my boyfriend will be puppy sitting all alone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Has anyone used PEDRO brand dog/pup food? They have that my local pet shop, whereas I have to travel across the city to get RoyalCanin. If Pedro is good it would be very convenient for me.

gimmick wrote: »
    Has anyone used PEDRO brand dog/pup food? They have that my local pet shop, whereas I have to travel across the city to get RoyalCanin. If Pedro is good it would be very convenient for me.

Pedro looks from what I could find on the internet to be pretty much the same as pedigree, bakers, well rubbish really. I wouldn't go near it in a fit tbh, not a patch in the RC. Maybe if you could tell us what other foods are available to buy in your local petshop we could tell you what the best one is? Would you be adverse to buying online?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

op if your still having trouble try mixing a tiny bit of tuna with sunflower oil tru it at each feed lets face it[i have tasted most of them] the dry kibble is pretty bland at the best of times i have done this with my dogs from day 1[i dont mean taste it everyday] occasionally using herring[with no bones] instead of tuna they love it and so does their coat.its not that much hassle to mix abit of tuna tru the kibble.aviod tuna in brime because of the high salt intake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

brought him for his first two talks at the weekend

:p did he have much to say for himself?

Anyhoos l'm not going to lie - I wouldn't rate Hills as that much better than pedigree and for a small dog like a yorkie you could spend a few quid extra and get a nice high quality food and well it's a yorkie so the bag will last ages lol (compared to my retriever lol)....Regardless of what you're feeding now he's been spoiled with the pouches so you need to be tough like the others say - food down for 15 mins and if it's not eaten take it up until he gets the message. I wouldn't go mixing anything else in at this stage tbh - you need to get him used to the new food. If you are going to try something else make sure you do it over a couple of weeks - a few days is too fast IMO and he could end up with an upset tummy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Pedro looks from what I could find on the internet to be pretty much the same as pedigree, bakers, well rubbish really. I wouldn't go near it in a fit tbh, not a patch in the RC. Maybe if you could tell us what other foods are available to buy in your local petshop we could tell you what the best one is? Would you be adverse to buying online?

Id saying buying online is the route to go. I just bought a small bag of really crappy stuff last night as I could get anywhere else. Will get to the proper pet shop later today to buy him his proper food.

gimmick wrote: »
    Id saying buying online is the route to go. I just bought a small bag of really crappy stuff last night as I could get anywhere else. Will get to the proper pet shop later today to buy him his proper food.

I've bought online for ages very handy, zooplus often have very competitive prices. Using amazon now which is great because you can subscribe and save, meaning you choose when they send out a bag, once a month, every couple of months etc. and they give you 10% off. Don't even have to remember to order. I am getting skinners field and trail at the moment, very happy with it, there is a lengthy thread about it on here somewhere.

Advertisement