Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historic info on Shelbourne FC?

Options
  • 30-09-2012 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi,

Looking to get in touch with someone who has good history knowledge of shels. And I mean history, around 1910's / 20's. I have some items from back then and would like to know more. I contacted the club, but after being referred on to their historian, I never heard back.

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

What specifically would you like to know?

Also, who was the historian you were referred to?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Des wrote: »
    What specifically would you like to know?

We could also mention Shels Chat, there should be plenty of knowledge gathered there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Lars1916 wrote: »
    We could also mention Shels Chat, there should be plenty of knowledge gathered there :)

Yep, good advice.

www.shelschat.com

it's the club forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

I'd say shelschat is definitely the place to start, theres a few guys on there who would be able to point you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭holding

You could try a search on the historic newspapers archive, or the Irish Times archive, if you have access (or know someone with a university password). Probably a lot of info to sift through there, and their records go back to 1870ish (I think).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ManyQuestions

Des wrote: »

My query was referred to some archivist called Chris??

I have this old pewter cup (I think its pewter), on it is Shelbourne Challenge Cup, and on the opposite side in a little crest shows it was donated by "Fagan Bros, Ballsbridge". All the design is hand engraved. No date on it or other info.
    But this thing looks as old as the hills. Id just like some info on it, anything really.
    Just to note, I also have a Gold Cup medal from 1915, so i presume the cup is from then, when my great grandfather played for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

My query was referred to some archivist called Chris??

I have this old pewter cup (I think its pewter), on it is Shelbourne Challenge Cup, and on the opposite side in a little crest shows it was donated by "Fagan Bros, Ballsbridge". All the design is hand engraved. No date on it or other info.
    But this thing looks as old as the hills. Id just like some info on it, anything really.
    Just to note, I also have a Gold Cup medal from 1915, so i presume the cup is from then, when my great grandfather played for them.

Chris Sands would be the archivist, he writes for the programme for as long as I can remember and was a big part in the presentation on Shelbourne FC in Pearse Library.

http://dublinsportsarchive.wordpress.com/ on the right hand side there's individual stories, Chris Sands is one of them.

The Challenge Cup was the name for the FAI Cup before it came that afaik, the trophy iirc still has Challenge Cup written on it so it could have been something to do with that?

If I happen to see Chris Sands n Derry at the match on Sunday I'll send him your way, I doubt he'll be up there but if you don't hear from him by next week give me a PM and I'll find him next Saturday at our home match against Cork.

Advertisement