Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LLB V MLS v Dip legal

Options
  • 30-09-2012 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

In my professional life I have considerable dealings with the legal professions, and and considering adding a legal qualification to my bag of tricks (i know, i know, a bit late for this year :rolleyes:)

I offer Expert Witness services within my area of expertise, and the function of this qualification would be - apart from obtaining a good grounding in law - to help me in carrying out this work more effectively and to give me an edge when expert witnesses are being selected.

I have no desire to become a solicitor/barrister/sit the Fe1s/aquire a BL, but I do have a '5 year plan' which involves becoming more involved in arbitration/mediation.

My question is as follows:

Is there any real or perceived difference amongst the legal professions between having an LLB on my CV as opposed to one of the Diplomas in Legal Studies or even the Master in Legal Studies from Maynooth?

Granted the LLB courses which I have perused cover more ground, but a lot of it (such as administrative or company law) is not really relevant to where I see myself going.

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ramblingcelt

If you have no plan to become a legal professional then I would not recommend spending a lot of time studying a broad set of modules.

The UK grad dip in law or cpe as it used be is a short sharp shock in terms of law and is basically what many law firms look for from graduates how are converting. The college of Law and BPP were set up by law firms to meet their specific needs. With this one year course you can continue later to train as a UK legal professional if you wish.

There are masters in law that accept non law graduates such as the LLM in Internet Law and Policy at Strathclyde which may better meet your needs.

Any course you choose will be a big investment in time and money. When choosing make sure what is on offer best meets your needs. Ask a prospective employer what they would recommend / value.

Advertisement