Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Gathering 2013

Options
  • 30-09-2012 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone organising anything for The Gathering in 2013?

Or anyone know of any specific D15 Gathering events??

http://www.thegatheringireland.com/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Whats it all about?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Well from my reading of it is that 2013 is going to be one big long festival and celebration. Events will be held of varying scales eg.

big - St patricks day festival.
    Medium - big family name gatherings eg, a Murphy reunion with a load of Americans.
    Small - a twin festival with some international twins from europe and us.

So it looks to get as many people to visit and enjoy the party and their vacation in dear old dirty Dublin or the beautiful garden of Ireland etc etc

:)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Whats it all about?

It's essentially a marketing ploy from Bord Failte to try and get as many people to visit the country and spend money here next year. But rather than them doing all the advertising, they're trying to encourage locals to invite their families and friends to come to Ireland for "gatherings". All sounds a bit meh tbh, hard to get excited about it.

I hear you zaph. It's as much a ploy as Arthur's day is.

Tbf the print ads have gone up (in Dublin anyway) and in N America.

However, for me: I enjoy going to these type of events/ "gatherings" and meeting new people. And if they are spending money in our country sure what harm ;)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I agree, if it brings in more tourists and money it can only be a good thing, but I just can't help feeling it has damp squib written all over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

amdublin wrote: »
    Anyone organising anything for The Gathering in 2013?

Or anyone know of any specific D15 Gathering events??

http://www.thegatheringireland.com/

Here's a Fingal event:
    http://www.thegatheringireland.com/CMSPages/PortalTemplate.aspx?eid=529&aliaspath=%2FAttend-A-Gathering%2FIndividual-Gathering&fb_action_ids=363748183706890&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_ref=.UGjEFJKI-6s.like&fb_source=aggregation&fb_aggregation_id=288381481237582

There were public meetings recently about The Gathering in Fingal - think there was one in Swords and one in Castleknock. Maybe there will be more public meetings?

Whats it all about?

Aswell as different touristy events, it is hoped that just about everyone will organise an event and bring people to Ireland.
    eg. Families to organise reunions
    Companies to organise conferences
    Sports teams to organise sporting events/competitions

I think it could possibly boil down to every individual in Ireland opening up their house and offering a bed to their friends all over the world and inviting them to come visit in 2013.

Here's The Gathering Facebook page, they put some good suff up!
    https://www.facebook.com/thegatheringireland

Zaph wrote: »
    I agree, if it brings in more tourists and money it can only be a good thing, but I just can't help feeling it has damp squib written all over it.

Is there anything that could be arranged in Dublin 15?

An event on the Canal?!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭StrawDub

I suggest having a rave :P

An event on the canal would be good.

Also the Phoenix Park would be a great place to hold a gathering - bring brollies og course!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I think the idea is that we (the proletariat) organise a gathering indoors in a commercial environment that will help bring money into pubs/restaurants/hotels etc. and help boost the economy.

Is it paddies day mark 2? excuse for the hotels to fleece the tourists.

I for one, intend to invite my friends from all over the world to come and stay with me throughout 2013. I can't wait to see them all!

I can't wait for New Years eve 2012 to put a status up on my facebook saying:

Welcome to all my US, UK, European friends! Make it your resolution to come visit me in Ireland in 2013. Food, lodging and good craic provided. All you need to bring is you!!! See you soon!!!

Oh and I also want to host some kind of Gathering event...need a little more thinking of what exactly I'll do.

I can't wait for New Years eve 2012 to put a status up on my facebook saying:

Welcome to all my US, UK, European friends! Make it your resolution to come visit me in Ireland in 2013. Food, lodging and good craic provided. All you need to bring is you!!! See you soon!!!

What if they all show up at the same time? :).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Oh and I also want to host some kind of Gathering event...need a little more thinking of what exactly I'll do.

Just give us the date and the location and all the D15 boardsies will show up.
    What could possibly go wrong??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Anyone watch the Gathering on Rte 2, Brendan Grace as the first of the guests welcoming home people?

Think the idea is a good one but having Brendan as a start off role model for the idea was a very poor choice, poor guy is very sick in my opinion, drink wise.

nudger wrote: »
    Anyone watch the Gathering on Rte 2, Brendan Grace as the first of the guests welcoming home people?

Think the idea is a good one but having Brendan as a start off role model for the idea was a very poor choice, poor guy is very sick in my opinion, drink wise.

I don't understand what this means.

I know he has diabetes. Is this what you are referring to?

What if they all show up at the same time? :).

Ha ha ha, oh jeez :)
    Gaspode wrote: »

Sounds like a plan! I'm gonna get my thinking cap on :)

Ooh maybe we could invite some American forumologists (what's the equivalent of an american boardsie) and have a gathering?! :D

• Advertisement

Gaspode wrote: »

Project gathering D15 :).

Seriously :confused: What ya mean?

Project gathering D15 :).

Love it! :pac:

I don't understand what this means.

I know he has diabetes. Is this what you are referring to?
    Seriously :confused: What ya mean?

Brendan has been a very heavy drinker for over 40 years, spent a few nights in his company, hard to keep with him.

I haven't seen him sober in years, you only have to look at his eyes, nothing to do with diabetes, great fella but sad.

Brendan has been a very heavy drinker for over 40 years, spent a few nights in his company, hard to keep with him.

I haven't seen him sober in years, you only have to look at his eyes, nothing to do with diabetes, great fella but sad.

I did not know this and I have to say I did not pick up on it while watching the show earlier on.

Was it really necessary to point this out to all on this thread? W

I'm all for the gathering and as a thing have a lot of family in England and the US who I will be inviting as both have visited me over the years but not each other, so this is a great excuse for each to meet in Ireland.

Maybe me talking about Brendan was out of order to you but it is common knowledge similar to Shane Mac Gowan, or Oliver reid, all well known for maybe the wrong reasons but well loved.

If you can not see it in the man, well I don't know what to say.

Advertisement