Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Networks have disappeared!

• 30-09-2012 11:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,732 ✭✭✭

Not sure if I'm posting in the right place... but you know the "select network to connect to" thingy, on the bottom right of the screen, well it used to show around 6 - 9 wireless networks, neighbours Sky etc... well now it is only showing my own Vodafone dongle. I also have a Three phone that I sometimes use as a hotspot and I can't get that recognised by my laptop either. I have been able to use it up to a week or so ago but now the only connection showing is the Vodafone dongle. Another laptop in the house is picking them all up :rolleyes:

Any help appreciated, it's driving me mental as I can't figure out what I should do! :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭BlatentCheek

The wireless networking on your laptop is almost certainly switched off. Some laptops have a switch for this on the keyboard commands - for instance on some Toshiba laptops pressing the "FN" and "F8" key at the same time can switch it on or off. The symbol on the F8 key is a small pole with a round top and 3 vertical curved bars on each side in an expanding cone formation; which I'm pretty sure is the universal symbol for the wireless on a laptop. There may be a button with this symbol on your laptop or it may be on the keyboard sharing a key with something else, in which case pressing it in combination with shift (if the wireless symbol is above the main key symbol eg dollar sign above 4 on the same key), ctrl (if it's below the main symbol), ctrl and alt (if it's beside it), or FN. If you tell us what type of laptop you have I'm sure someone will be able to give more specific advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,732 ✭✭✭sudzs

Well actually, the wireless was switched off. (I didn't do it! :rolleyes:) I turned it back on but still no other networks.

.....rebooted since and still nothing showing only my Vodafone dongle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,732 ✭✭✭sudzs

Fixed it!

There was something wrong with the network adapter but the troubleshooter sorted it out. :D

Advertisement