Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P&P on returns

Options
  • 01-10-2012 2:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭

Hi,

I had a look on the Citizens Advice but couldn't find the answer. I bought a solar light from an Irish site last week. Somewhat annoyingly it doesn't work so I emailed the site and they said they'd exchange it no problem. However, as I need to return the light by post I was wondering if the onus of P&P is on me?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If the product is faulty, the the supplier must bear the cost of return.

In practice, this means that you may have to pay the postage initially, but the supplier should refund you. Alternatively, the supplier may arrange for collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Shewhomustbe...

Thanks dudara, I'm going to email them now, fingers crossed I won't hit a wall!!

This is the reply I got enquiring if the cost of me having to pay P&P would be covered.

"I could ask you to return it direct it to (I've removed the name.) also. If that was the
    case it would go on and on
    for weeks.
    It will cost you 2.10 to return this item by post just like it will cost me
    2.10 to send out a
    replacement by post.
    Thank you,"

Is there anything I can cite that I am not liable for the cost as this is not because I'm availing of the cooling off period but because the product is faulty. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

This is advice from the NCA. As they are a statutory body with repsonsibility for enforcing consumer law you can bet your bottom dollar what they say has basis in law.
    Faulty goods & refunds
    If you buy something through distance selling and it turn out to be faulty, then generally your consumer rights are the same as if you bought it in a shop.

If what you bought is damaged or faulty in any way you should complain to the seller in writing immediately - by email, fax or letter - and ask for a refund or replacement. If you have to return an item because it is faulty, the seller is liable for any return shipping costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

slimjimmc wrote: »
    This is advice from the NCA. As they are a statutory body with repsonsibility for enforcing consumer law you can bet your bottom dollar what they say has basis in law.
    But if if the item is returned using the cooling off period you may well be liable for the return postage costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

foggy_lad wrote: »
    But if if the item is returned using the cooling off period you may well be liable for the return postage costs.

Indeed, but the OP is not invoking the cooling period, he's claiming redress for faulty goods. It doesn't matter if the claim for redress coincides with the cooling period. They are two different situations.

Thanks (again) slimjimmc, that was exactly the information I needed. I'm about to send them another email, can't wait to see if he gets snottier with me!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

As dudara said, they may insist that you pay for postage. When they receive it and confirm it faulty, they can then refund you that cost.
    Include a copy of the P&P costs in the package.

You do have to allow them to inspect the item before you insist on them paying P&P. They, or any company, won't just take your word for it.

Advertisement