Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog attacked hedgehog

• 01-10-2012 5:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭

Phew, lucky I was up. I heard my dog going mental and growling/attacking something. I raced outside and he was circling something that I couldn't see, he was trying to latch onto it, and for a few seconds he did bite onto something. I thought it was a cat.

Him being a typical terrier, wanting to fight it, and a Westie, was stubborn about it. Eventually after shouting at him and giving the mother of all stamps beside him he scampered to kennel. It was still too dark to see what it was so I put him inside and got a torch, it was a curled up hedgehog. I left him, to tend to Sam. Apart from a bloodied lip he's fine, I checked him over, no spikes. Just trying to check the inside of mouth.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭jamesd

Our Akita has gotten hold of hedgehogs a few times and we go out when we hear him barking , he then grabs the hedgehog into his mouth and runs around with him like a ball. So far the hedgehog's have survived bar 1 that he squeezed too hard. We normally put the live hedgehogs on a shovel and bring them up the road about 3/4 fields away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

my sons staffies atacked a hedgehog last week,when he took them to the vet,he was told not to remove the hedgehog from his garden but make the area where the hedgehog is, secure so the dogs cannot get at it,because the hedgehog has built its food store at this time of year,and may well not live out the winter months if removed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

getz wrote: »
    my sons staffies atacked a hedgehog last week,when he took them to the vet,he was told not to remove the hedgehog from his garden but make the area where the hedgehog is, secure so the dogs cannot get at it,because the hedgehog has built its food store at this time of year,and may well not live out the winter months if removed

It climbed under the gate, clearly foraging, for the safety of the dog and hedgehog it's best he stays out of the garden from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Well, I dunno how, but another hedgehog got in the garden, and this time I couldn't save it from the dog. Seeing a half eaten carcass is not pretty! Off course now Sam is covered in fleas. I washed him with some special flea killing shampoo and gave him a worming tablet, will have to keep an eye on him until I bring him to the vet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,374 ✭✭✭✭Esel

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Well, I dunno how, but another hedgehog got in the garden, and this time I couldn't save it from the dog. Seeing a half eaten carcass is not pretty! Off course now Sam is covered in fleas. I washed him with some special flea killing shampoo and gave him a worming tablet, will have to keep an eye on him until I bring him to the vet.
    Yeah, hedgehogs (and rabbits) are often covered in fleas...

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
Advertisement