Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Laptop for college/Gaming

• 01-10-2012 5:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi :) ,
    This is my first post, so go easy on me :P

I'm currently searching for a suitable laptop for playing games;
    which are generally low end like Indie games, but I would also like to play games like Team Fortress 2 and Borderlands 2.
    I would also like it to be a quad core processor, just as a general preference.

My max price is around €750 including shipping

Thanks in advance,
    Stephen.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

The Genesis IV with the following specs costs £597 or €750 (w/o delivery):

Core i7 3610QM quad
    4 GB RAM
    Nvidia GT 635M
    250 GB HDD

Also has a 2nd HDD bay, OS installation disk and a 3 yrs warranty are included in the price.

Other than that, you won't find a quad core processor and gaming GPU within your budget.

This Samsung for €626 comes with AMD's A-10 APU (comparable to a Core i5/GT 630M combo). Although marketed as such, it is not a true quad-core processor..

• Registered Users Posts: 4 LlamaLips

It does look good for my price point, would you recommend sticking with the 635m or trying to get the extra cash for the 640m ? (The Genesis IV)
    Is there a notable difference ?
    Which should I for I also like the second one because the more storage space is optimal and the RAM, which may not be needed is a plus.
    Thanks for the response :)

LlamaLips wrote: »
    It does look good for my price point, would you recommend sticking with the 635m or trying to get the extra cash for the 640m ?

Both are mid-range GPUs. The GT 640M is ~20% faster than the GT 635M and comes with 2 GB DDR3 VRAM. But it will exceed your budget (add £29). ;)

I'd also recommend the 128 GB SSD (special offer) rather than the default 250 GB platter HDD, but again this will exceed your budget (add £34).

So if you can afford to spend 75 yoyos more, I'd say it is well worth it.

You can upgrade the memory later, a 8 GB kit (2x4) costs ~ €35 at the moment..

One more question, Do you know if these GPUs could run Team Fortress 2 on Max? :)
    Looks like a tough decision :P
    Thanks a bunch for the help :)

You can add €100 and configure the Optimus IV instead. This will get you a Core i5, 4 GB RAM and a GTX 660M (2GB GDDR5) with a full HD display. ;)

But the GT 640M should be well capable of playing TF2 at 1366x768.

• Advertisement

I wish I could go that more over budget, it's killing me now lol.
    Yeah, I think I may go for the Genesis IV with the 640M.
    Thanks so much for all your help :)

Advertisement