Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Norman - Hardly Normal?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

gatecrash wrote: »
    Originally I said the retailer is under no obligation to refund the customer.

I should have prefaced that with AT THE OUTSET, the retailer etc etc...

They are if they fail to provide a remedy within a reasonable time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Swanner wrote: »
    Really don't see the problem here. Why are people so paranoid about giving a
    number to a legit retailer ? I have bought many items from Harvey Norman and others over the years. I've always been glad they have my number any time I've had to go back with something as they found the receipt on the system straight away and sorted the issue.

Not once have I received a marketing call as a result.

I can understand not giving out personal details in most circumstances but this seems like getting in a huff for the sake of getting in a huff.
    Im also working in retail, they only use that number so that if you come back with a problem and no receipt they can still find it as without a proof of purchase, your rights are reduced.

People lose receipts. And they don't have many rights unless they have proof of purchase.

Also, they don't keep a record of the credit card number you purchased your product with, why would they?. Although it's really interesting to see that you would prefer them to keep a record of it than to give them your contact number...

I have no issue with them asking, but I should have the option to refuse to provide personal details and if that means I can't get a copy of a receipt or whateer, then that's my issue.

My problem with HN is that their policy is that if you don't give your phone number then they will not sell to you. And from a business point of view in today's market and especially when the retailer in question LOST €23MILLION last year, its folly.

As for credit card numbers, they are PCI compliant and as such card details are safe. - AND you have a choice of paying with cash but no choice in providing a phone number.

Look, its their loss, I simply purchased elsewhere. It looks like 50% of people here don't like the policy. If they changed it and gave you an option not to provide it, then there'd be no issue. Its the insistence of something that is not a legal requirement that I found disconcerting and the fact that the staff did not have a answer for why they took it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

gatecrash wrote: »
    The only time I've given a retailer my phone number when purchasing something is when it needs to be ordered in (as in a suite of furniture) or there is some back and forth haggling (buying a car)....
    Otherwise they can shag off.

In terms of the refunding thing, it's not for any internal database, it's not to check if Mr G.Crash has refunded the same thing over and over, it is a revenue requirement as mentioned earlier.

The poster who is talking about emotional blackmail may have just been dealing with an inexperienced till operator.

Remember, the retailer is under no obligation to refund you the money, most operate under a repair, replace, refund policy and it is at THEIR discretion, not yours what happens.

No, sadly not. I was speaking to a manager!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

That's what proof of purchase is for though. If a retailer is exchanging or refunding under goodwill with no proof of purchase then they are more then within their rights not to do so if a condition they impose is not met.

I agree with you fully. Without proof of purchase there is no requirement for the retailer to refund/repair/replace etc. Its just a goodwill gesture.

My point was more to give a reason why they may ask for this info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I wouldn't give my details. What if you don't have a number, or you change it. Makes no sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

BostonB wrote: »
    I wouldn't give my details. What if you don't have a number, or you change it. Makes no sense.

that a very good point, what if you did change your number, does that mean the guarantee would not be valid. That's crazy :eek:

Advertisement