Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winding Stair, Odessa or ?

Options
  • 01-10-2012 8:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I'm looking for a restaurant to take someone out for a special occasion - however we haven't seen each other for a while so somewhere formal e.g. Chapter One is off the menu!

I've been tossing up between Winding Stair and Odessa. I'd ideally like the menu at Winding Stair but it looks a bit....austere decor wise. Odessa looks good decor wise but the menu is a bit informal - would prefer not to be looking at a menu with burgers etc on it for a special occassion.

Green Hen/One Pico/Peploes are out purely as we've both been recently. Had considered the Pigs Ear and L.Mulligan as they both look more like pubs than restaurants?

Ideally I'd like somewhere that feels a bit special, maybe a bit loungey, with moving towards high end European menu. I'm not asking for much am I!

Boardsies, any thoughts, suggestions or feedback welcome.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i love Mulligans, the food is supreme but it is a pub.

what about Fire ?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭kinsy

What about this place http://www.leboncrubeen.ie/

kinsy wrote: »
    What about this place http://www.leboncrubeen.ie/

oh, yeah, thats really good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

There is also http://www.millerspizzakitchen.ie/

its querky but not too formal and the food is yum...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

+1 on Le Bon Crubeen and L Mulligans, both are Gastropubs, with lovely food. L Mulligans also have WJ Kavanaghs on Dorset Street, also very nice.

• Advertisement

Chez Max in Dublin Castle is also really good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

Odessa is a members' club so I am not sure about bookability.

How about Nicos on Dame St? Old fashioned, atmospheric Italian. You could also try Trocadero on Andrew st, but it is hard to get a table.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

:confused: I've booked there before, and I'm not a member..!

Between Winding Stair and Odessa I'd go with the former anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Only the top 2 floors are members clubs/private function rooms you can book a table in the restaurant.

The restaurant in Fallon & Byrne is lovely and have heard good things about Citron in the Fitzwilliam on Stephens Green for excellent food in a lovely setting but without a stuffy atmosphere (actually was more 'near hysterical with delight' than 'good' from the person who ate there)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

There is a relatively new Eden Bar & Grill on Sth William Street. I've only had brunch there which was delish. It looks really small from outside but actually opens up into a lovely space at the back.

http://edenbarandgrill.ie :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Avoca's new restaurant in Monkstown, Salt, is pretty great. The food is great, staff are friendly and it's not too crazy, pricewise.

Get the DART out and back in too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

How about Rustic Stone on George's Street?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

Rustic stone is run by the deeply obnoxious Dylan McGrath. He insulted me and my female companion in his previous restaurant, Mint. Avoid.

griffdaddy wrote: »
    How about Rustic Stone on George's Street?

Wouldnt go near the place personally, over priced, pretencious and cramped. And I'm not even going to say what I think of Dylan McGrath.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 PeonyBella

Thanks so much to all of you for your replies - much appreciated.

Ending up booking Le Bon Crubeen for the dinner - however I'm in town for a few days (I'm not from Dublin) so have booked Fallon and Byrne for another night and am trying to find a way to fit L. Mulligan in as well. I won't need to eat again for a week!

Mods - please feel free to close this thread.

Thanks again
    PB

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Rustic stone is run by the deeply obnoxious Dylan McGrath. He insulted me and my female companion in his previous restaurant, Mint. Avoid.
    He does seem like a bit of a bell end but it'd be very unlikely you'd meet him in there.
    mmcn90 wrote: »
    Wouldnt go near the place personally, over priced, pretencious and cramped. And I'm not even going to say what I think of Dylan McGrath.

I've been there 3 or 4 times. I always thought it was delicious. Didn't seem overly pretentious or cramped either. Although I do find that most restaurants of that ilk in Dublin (including Rustic Stone) are slightly pretentious. Seems to be a Celtic Tiger hang over.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

Pichet FTW.

PeonyBella wrote: »
    Thanks so much to all of you for your replies - much appreciated.

Ending up booking Le Bon Crubeen for the dinner - however I'm in town for a few days (I'm not from Dublin) so have booked Fallon and Byrne for another night and am trying to find a way to fit L. Mulligan in as well. I won't need to eat again for a week!

Mods - please feel free to close this thread.

Thanks again
    PB

You'll be well fed anyway. I'll leave it open, Should be of use to others looking for suggestions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭missmyler

Winding Stair is one of my favourite places in Dublin. Had a starter (special) of razor clams with Guinness brown bread last time I was there. I could of eaten it for my mains and dessert as well it was that good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

You mentioned the Pig's Ear. It isn't a bar, but a restaurant. A very good one too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement