Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glandular Fever?

Options
  • 01-10-2012 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭

*1st time poster, please move if started in the wrong forum, thanks*

Hi Guys.

For a while i've been feeling unwell, tired, irritated and just generally under the weather. I put it down to stress from my transition to University which has gone less than smoothly.

On Tuesday, I really began feeling unwell. My head felt very heavy and dizzy and I felt a lot of pressure behind my eyes. Also, the left side of my throat felt raw and I found it difficult enough to swallow.

On Wednesday, I felt worse. I had developed nausea and couldn't sit up without feeling sick and dizzy. I had a high temperature of around average 38.5 and had severe chills and shakes. I hadn't eaten anything since Tuesday as I wasn't able to keep anything down.

On Thursday, my throat was completely painful. I couldn't swallow and felt both sides to be extremely raw. I had the same queasy feeling and vomited 3/4 times. I still was unable to eat. I looked into the back of my throat with a flashlight and mirror and saw septic spots (pus) at the left tonsil in my throat. I took 2 250mg Kopen Tablets that I had in my possession (they were in date) from when I had tonsilitis before.

On Friday I went to the doctor and he prescribed me with 250mg of Kopen but seemed to be in a rush and didn't really examine me properly.

Over the weekend I continued to take my 4 Kopen a day coupled with Painkillers, Strepsils Lozenges and Throat-spray as well as a 1000mg tablet of Vitamin C every morning to kill infection and in an attempt to numb the ridiculous pain at the back of my throat.

It is now Monday morning and still the antibiotics haven't kicked in. I'm beginning to get worried as by researching it seems I could have Glandular fever as I had a lot of the symptoms mentioned (sore throat, swollen glands, temperature, chills, shakes, nausea, vomiting, headaches, eye pressure, swollen eyes, extreme perspiration at night etc.)

Does anyone know if this sounds like Glandular fever? It seems to be a very difficult illness to know you have as tonsillitis is often a misdiagnosis of glandular fever. If anyone could offer any help in letting me know if it is Glandular fever or just a bad virus etc, i'd be really grateful as i'm missing a lot of college due to my illness. Thanks! :)

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

You're probably going to find that this thread is going to be locked by a moderator. I think the best advice that people will give you is to either go back to your gp or get a second opinion. BTW there is a blood test for Glandular fever so that might be a path you want to explore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

we can't diagnose you here. go back to your doctor.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement