Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lift floor tile

• 01-10-2012 9:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭

Any tips on how to lift a bathroom floor tile? I have a leak under the conc floor so I need to take up at least one floor tile, I dont want to break it because they are about 10 years old and I doubt I'll be able to get an exact match.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

You will need to lift more than one and there is no way without breaking them. If your determined not to lift can you divert the pipe another way.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭1865

Start by removing the grout between the tiles. all of the grout around the 4 sides of the tile that you want to lift. Then try to lift it with a bolster chisel and a hammer. chances are that it will chip or break anyway. If you can find one that gives you access to the side of a tile e.g. by the door saddle it will be easier to lift as you need to get the chisel as flat against the floor as you can to minimise the chance of cracking the tile.

Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭King Mallie

Hi op,

The only way to lift a single tile from the middle of the floor is as follows:
    Cut grout around tile (all four sides) with narrow diamond blade grinder. Then with a very soft rubber mallet start tipping the tipping the tile very gently in the middle and work your out to the edges. It a very slow process but it works a treat, I have done this loads of time for people stuck leaks etc. best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭strandsman

Thanks guys for your feedback, I wish I waited till today to lift the tile!!!! I'll have to go and get new tiles now!!

Advertisement