Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloc Party - The Olympia, Dublin - 12th Feb 2013

Options
  • 01-10-2012 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭

http://www.mcd.ie/home/fn.php?c=4810190&ar=blocparty&cat=all
    UK indie legends Bloc Party have just announced details of a long –awaited return to Ireland at The Olympia Theatre, Dublin on February 12th 2013

Tickets priced from €33.50 inclusive of booking fee go on-sale this Friday, October 5 th from Ticketmaster outlets nationwide and www.ticketmaster.ie

Only less than a year ago, a big question mark loomed over whether new music would ever emerge from Bloc Party. Now, they return with their strongest, most vital statement to date, in triumphant new album 'FOUR'.

Following an extended hiatus after 2008's critically acclaimed 'Intimacy', the four piece of Kele Okereke, Russell Lissack, Gordon Moakes and Matt Tong reunited in New York in the winter of 2011, prompted by a creative impetus inspired by a dramatic year in world events, as well as a shared desire to rekindle their singular musical kinship.

Teaming up with producer Alex Newport (Death Cab For Cutie, The Mars Volta, At The Drive-In), the band approached the new songs by tapping into the raw passion and energy that is well-known to anyone who has seen them perform live – setting aside digital and studio cosmetics in favor of a rehearsal room, their
    instruments, and the magic of their innate musical chemistry. In Kele's words, "we wanted to challenge ourselves by not relying on the invisible grid that seems to be mapping out all of popular music these days".

And indeed, ‘FOUR’ presents a band in the fullest sense of the word: lean, hungry, spirited and uncompromising, armed with a collection of songs as powerful and anthemic as they've ever penned, as well as some of their most hard-hitting and visceral recordings to date. The album finds Kele’s unmistakable delivery is at it's most fervent: urgent and rallying one moment, invitingly intimate and vulnerable the next, coupled with the bands hallmark dynamics of angular, incendiary energy that prove more thunderous and commanding than ever. Always ones to explore a wide sonic and emotional palette, ‘FOUR’ rages through the barely-contained rock swagger and towering chorus of ‘Kettling’,
    jetting angular guitars and enticing melodic twists of 'Octopus', and breathless, exclamatory breakdown of ‘Coliseum’, while not losing touch with their more intimate side in the lush, shimmering romance of ‘Healing’, poignant falsetto underscoring the bittersweet shuffle of ‘Real Talk’, and warm arpeggios of uptempo ballad ‘Day 4’ that open into a spellbinding coda of crystalline guitars and distantly looming
    strings.

'FOUR' marks a triumphant and much-welcomed return of one of the most important and loved acts to emerge out of British guitar music in the noughties. It is the sound of a seminal band maturing with grace and confidence, exploring new areas of their craft while never losing sight of the singular fire and urgency
    that made them so compelling in the first place. In Kele's own words: "the record is the sound of four people in a room, loving what they do and doing it to the best of their ability. It is the sound that only the four of us could make, and I am prouder of it than any record we have ever made".

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

Super

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Get In..

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Delighted , they stole the show at Oxegen 09

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

I'm in. Delighted they're back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Any word of a pre sale?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

niallo24 wrote: »
    Any word of a pre sale?

It's only Olympia there won't be a pre sale.

I'm so incredibly excited for this it's absolutely ridiculous. Never got a chance to see them, but Kele's solo tour was savage and I love the new album.

It's only Olympia there won't be a pre sale.

I'm so incredibly excited for this it's absolutely ridiculous. Never got a chance to see them, but Kele's solo tour was savage and I love the new album.

They had a presale for Of Monsters Of Men

They had a presale for Of Monsters Of Men

Yeah I thought somebody was gonna correct me I don't know why I said that :p

I got my ticket anyway :) Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Excellent, cant wait for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

2nd night added - Wednesday 13th

• Advertisement

I need money fast :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Sweet, first night standing was sold out at 9.15am!

Got standing for the 1st night:D

Yeah I got standing for the first night, but I reckon I'll be sitting for the second night if I go at all by the looks of my account balance.

Bollocks :P

Got the OH to get me ticket for the second show for my birthday, sorted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 The WP

Hello all,

If anyone knows someone who wouldn't mind swapping their standing ticket on the 12th for a seated ticket, unlikely as that seems, could them pm me? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭whitewave

Got my ticket today for the first night, delighted. Haven't seen them since Phoenix Park a few years ago...must get listening to the new album!

Same as. Havent seen 'em since the park gig. What was that 2008?

Should be savage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 AimeeZero

I bought a ticket for the 13th. Anyone willing to SWAP for the the 12th?
    If your interested do private message me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Got tickets to the 2nd night, should be a good one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Cant bloody wait but €50 to stand in the Olympia!!!? It had better be worth it Kele!

Think this is my 8th time seeing them here or abroad :P

Friend saw them lastnight in Glasgow and said it wasn't the best, not a great set and the new songs weren't received very well.

I still can't wait though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

maximoose wrote: »
    Friend saw them lastnight in Glasgow and said it wasn't the best, not a great set and the new songs weren't received very well.

I still can't wait though :)

A mate of mine was at the Glasgow gig, said it was great.

I've just picked up tickets to see them in Copenhagen in November.

Cast of Cheers opening both nights. Recent setlists have been pretty awesome I reckon (I liked Intimacy), getting excited now :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Anyone know what time this gig is likely to finish at? A rough estimate even?

Doors at 7:30... I'd guess around 11pm?

Setlist from gigs in Japan at end of Jan
    1.So He Begins to Lie
    2.Trojan Horse
    3. Hunting for Witches
    4.Like Eating Glass
    5.Kettling
    6.Real Talk
    7.Waiting for the 7.18
    8.Song for Clay (Disappear Here)
    9.Banquet
    10. Coliseum
    11.Day Four
    12.One More Chance
    13.Octopus

Encore:
    14.Signs
    15.Ares
    16.This Modern Love
    17. Flux

Encore 2:
    18.Ratchet
    19.Sunday
    20. Helicopter

Cant wait now :)

I'd imagine it'll be
    Doors @ 7.30
    Cast of Cheers @ 8.00
    Bloc Party @ 9.00 / 9.15

Should be a ripper..

Thanks.

What song not on that Japan setlist would you like to hear if you had to pick one?

I'd say Two More Years.

What song not on that Japan setlist would you like to hear if you had to pick one?

The Marshalls are Dead. Couldn't believe they played it when I saw them in Liverpool a few years ago and it was fupping great!

• Advertisement

maximoose wrote: »

The Marshalls are Dead. Couldn't believe they played it when I saw them in Liverpool a few years ago and it was fupping great!
    That song goes back a bit, one of their earliest songs I think! Would love to hear Skeleton but that'll never happen!

Advertisement