Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac Mini RAM question

Options
  • 01-10-2012 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Just a quick question or two,
    I want to upgrade my RAM in mac Mini mid 2011 because its very slow at loading youtube & 4OD.com etc.

Its a 2.3GHz Core i5
    2GB 1333MHz DDR3

Will upgrading my RAM improve the loading time on videos or is there something else I should try?
    Can somebody tell me if I can put in 2x8GB RAM or is 2x4GB the max?
    Also, can somebody give me a link direct to somewhere cheap to buy it?

Would this fit? http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/INTEGRAL-PC310600-DDR3-Laptop-Memory-4GB-SODIMM-RAM/304551/340#product-information

Thanks.

Jim.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

If videos are slow at loading, then it's your internet connection.

Is there one or two sticks in there already? You might be able to add a second one for 4GB if it's just the one that you have.
    http://www.memoryc.com/-desktop-server-mac-mini-mac-mini-2-3-ghz-2-3ghz-500gb-memory-upgrade.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

you might get better answers if you post in the correct forum, with all due respect to PC builders and Modders. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

What's the correct forum? The Apple one?

I think that the correct forum is actually the broadband one. Are you with UPC by any chance? Many people have been complaining about videos loading slowly with them. There's a huge thread about this in the UPC forum. I have UPC myself and it's okay, but a bit slow for a 100Mbps connection or whatever I'm supposed to be getting and given that the source is a big provider like google.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I have no issue with this question being posted here so long as people give accurate answers ;)

2GB is pretty slim, especially given that the CPU isn't that bad at all. But the issue may be with your internet provider after all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

In response to the memory query, select the "About This Mac" under the black Apple logo on the extreme left of the menubar.

Click the "More Info..." button on the window that displays.

Under "Hardware" click on "Memory" and it will show you the number of slots you have and how they are populated. They will also give you the full specifications for the DIMMs you need. Match this spec exactly when buying memory. You may be offered faster memory (usually dearer) but there is nothing to gain by buying it and indeed moving from Apple's spec is seldom a great idea.

Before closing this app. click on "Hardware" and note the "Model Name:" e.g. "Mac mini" and "Model Identifier:" e.g. "Mac mini 1,1" entries.

Use the configuration tool on one of the memory websites, Crucial, Kingston, etc. to see the options available to you for upgrading memory. The broadband connection speed has been addressed by others.

And the above is why I believe the query belongs in the Mac forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sharkbite1983

Thanks all for the responses, apologies if it wasnt in the correct forum.

There doesnt seem to be an issue with other computers on the network, so I dont think its my ISP (Vodafone)

I do have a second wi-fi router that I considered using & setting up my iphone & mac on one network, leave everyone else sharing the other modem. (3 other phones, 3 laptops & an Xbox) as it could be that theres too much computers using one router, or would that affect it?

All Id be doing is splitting the phone line, 1 side into existing router & other side into new router.

Failing that I'll try RAM.

Advertisement