Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap upgrade for kids pc

Options
  • 01-10-2012 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭

Looking to replace the graphics card in the wee lads PC.

Its old 8600gt so its showing its age, now I'm not looking to spend a fortune on this.

Say 40 to 60 sterling if possible, he only plays minecraft and a bit of halflife, though is looking at diablo3 and perhaps torchlight 2.

So is there anything in that price range that would give him a bit more grunt.
    I'm not looking for great graphics just good enough, he's got a 350 watt power-supply (just a harddrive in the machine, no cd and its an older dual-core Althon) so if need be I could put in for a slightly bigger one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

What's the rest of the system? Like RAM?

Someone was saying that they were selling 6770s for cheap in pc world a short while ago.

A 6670?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Club3D-Radeon-6670-DDR3-Graphics/dp/B005CDJS9O/

If I remember correctly, you don't need any power connectors with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Its got 4gig of ram and a Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.0GHz.

Yeah, I think a 6670 would do fine. Going by some youtube videos, it seems to handle those games well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

6670 would be fine although there is much better cards available at that price if you were to go the second hand route.

Yeah true, but you'd also have to consider the PSU - namely whether it has additional PCI-E connectors or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Monotype wrote: »
    Yeah true, but you'd also have to consider the PSU - namely whether it has additional PCI-E connectors or not.

As it happens it does have single pci-e connector, I think I'd go for a new card to keep things simple.

The 6670 looks like its a good fit, I've there's no more alternatives I'll order it this evening.

Thanks for the help guys btw.

Advertisement