Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

first things to do with a new s3

• 01-10-2012 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

well i getting my s3 friday cant wait:D. just wondering whats the first things i should be doing with it and also how to set up alarm that then reads the weather and ur appointments of that day to you........

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Get one of the Launchers like Go Launcher EX, or Nova which is only 25c today on special.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

Download Juice Defender

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Set up an account on youtube and subscribe to a heap of channels youre interested in. Youtube App is real good.

Download Google Currents.

Download Reddit is Fun.

Hours of entertainment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

masturbate while looking at the phone

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Download Juice Defender

Or don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

anncoates wrote: »
    Or don't.

Why not?

Why not?

Didn't think it made much of a difference to be honest. And sometimes it would often take a while for the data to kick back in when I wanted to use it quickly. I ended up being happier keeping a charger at work and taking the small hit on battery life for constant connectivity.

I did use the free one admittedly. Not the paid one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Setup the track your phone app should be the first port of call :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭thomasj

areyawell wrote: »

What do it twice? He'll be in bits! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭donnacha

any advice on best malware for a new s3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

anti-malware you mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭donnacha

kaimera wrote: »
    anti-malware you mean?

yes, anti-malware - was going to install avast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

donnacha wrote: »
    yes, anti-malware - was going to install avast

YOU DONT NEED AV FOR ANDROID. Sorry to shout, but this whole thing the security companies are doing is a farce. Waste of resources.

The only thing that will break your phone is you, or your OEMs devs being thick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

+1 for juice defender. I got the paid version (there are 2 paid versions, I have the cheaper of the 2) and it works really well for me. I definitely see an improvement in battery life and no noticeable lag when the connectivity is being turned back on at all.

I'd also recommend SwiftKey keyboard too. Depends what phone you're trading up from, but I came from an iPhone 4 and I found the standard keyboard was sh!te compared to the predictive text on iPhone. However, Swiftkey is excellent and is way quicker and more intelligent than either the stock android keyboard or the ip4 one. It takes a little bit of getting used to, but it's very very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭stepster

I used Go Launcher Ex for a long time, however, now I use Apex Launcher - so much quicker. Other apps I love are QuickPic for photos, gReader for rss feeds, AirDroid for Wifi file transfer, ES Files for file exporation, Meridian for music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Root it!

3g watchdog so you don't go over your data allowence
    Buy a case
    llama if you want to automate your phone settings (ringer off at work, wifi off when not in house etc)
    QR Droid and and code generator (have it set up to just scan the qr and it can send messages to a contact etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Another vote for swiftkey, have found all other keyboards on android to be quite junky...

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭steven087

Well im up grading from a galaxy Europa should be a bit different lol. Have it two years done its job grand but very laggy .

steven087 wrote: »
    Well im up grading from a galaxy Europa should be a bit different lol. Have it two years done its job grand but very laggy .

ah the europa is still a great little phone (not great but if you lose it, drop it or batter the bejesus outta it) it still works

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

root it and install AdFree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

kingtiger wrote: »
    root it and install AdFree

Trying that on my Sensation now, didn't realise there was such an app - cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

anncoates wrote: »
    Didn't think it made much of a difference to be honest. And sometimes it would often take a while for the data to kick back in when I wanted to use it quickly. I ended up being happier keeping a charger at work and taking the small hit on battery life for constant connectivity.

I did use the free one admittedly. Not the paid one.

actually agree with you..in fact I suspect that it's actually degrading my battery even more as I'm losing about 10% alone overnight and by midday I was down to 75% with barely any usage.
    Have disabled it and now still around the 69% mark.
    And I had the ultimate version..

+1 for swiftkey though,..,.it's awesome especially as the default one is complete cack.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Upgraded from a europa to an s3 myself yesterday too, so the first thing you do is drop your jaw :P

looking for nice apps myself. Just have swiftkey. How useful is the built in power saver?

Upgraded from a europa to an s3 myself yesterday too, so the first thing you do is drop your jaw :P

looking for nice apps myself. Just have swiftkey. How useful is the built in power saver?

I never really noticed a difference to be honest, i run mine fairly heavy though with podcasts and radio all day at work and browsing all times in between so i usually charge maybe 10 times a week

If you are looking for long lasting then yeah turn off GPS, 3g, wifi, rotation, sync and stick on power saving and you'll make the battery last (it'll turn of things like the haptic feedback and gesture controls)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭kenyard

really useful tbh. i generally get an extra day out of the phone with it on, though it does make it sluggish about doing things in any way strenuous like some apps and games etc will stutter or load slower n stuff...

as for what to do. screen protector. i have a few scratches into my protector now im sure wud be on the screen also if i didnt have it. i dunno how good the default glass it, but hafnt ever heard any complaints so guess its ok.
    phone cover. i have one but dont use it anymore as i like the phone as is. the silver outline now has a chunk or 2 gone outta it from where i dropped it

apps: flash, facebook, etc... no necessities besides 3g watchdog.. i dunno does juice defender even do much.
    just check the top free apps once a week and try em. quite a few awesome ones :)
    ones i use often which arent as default, maps, sky sports, youtube, sikipedia, rte news now, angry birds, boi app, firefox, my o2, IMDB (get imdb)
    and latest is better battery stats as i wanna find culprit in some battery drainage i have

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yeah Dannie, just charge it in work too so I suppose it will never be an issue.
    kenyard wrote: »

really useful tbh. i generally get an extra day out of the phone with it on, though it does make it sluggish about doing things in any way strenuous like some apps and games etc will stutter or load slower n stuff...

as for what to do. screen protector. i have a few scratches into my protector now im sure wud be on the screen also if i didnt have it. i dunno how good the default glass it, but hafnt ever heard any complaints so guess its ok.
    phone cover. i have one but dont use it anymore as i like the phone as is. the silver outline now has a chunk or 2 gone outta it from where i dropped it

apps: flash, facebook, etc... no necessities besides 3g watchdog.. i dunno does juice defender even do much.
    just check the top free apps once a week and try em. quite a few awesome ones :)
    ones i use often which arent as default, maps, sky sports, youtube, sikipedia, rte news now, angry birds, boi app, firefox, my o2, IMDB (get imdb)
    and latest is better battery stats as i wanna find culprit in some battery drainage i have
    Will just leave it off and charge it, as I like how lightening fast it is. Work gave me a screen protector / case too. Otterman something or other. I fecked up the screen protector, lots of air bubbles and a bit of trapped dirt, woops. Glass is gorrila glass so that stuff is meant to be tough, but big screens break easier id say. Don't need 3g watchdog but wondering us the data recorder on the phone not accurate? Thanks for the list! If using Dublin bus, Dublin bus live is great for real time info.

the inbuilt data coverage is grand i just like 3g watchdog for quick access in your notification bar. I know i don't need it too with my data package but its nice to know and track your use.

For a taste of automation i recommend llama, you can set it to turn phone on silent etc if it matches criteria (cell towers nearby, day of the week so you won't have phone going off at the wrong time and you can have the reverse effect when you get home)

Tasker is a more powerful version with more options but paid for.

for added security i HIGHLY reccomend LBE privacy guard. but be very VERY careful if you are upgrading to JB based roms (including stock) as you get stuck in a boot loop. there is a translated chinese version though that works fine though.

It means that games for instance are blocked from reading your text messages etc when they don't actually need it to run so lots of the apps that you might be wary about downloading are grand.

I've posted a link somwhere
    in this forum so i'll try and dig it up

edit there we go
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1422479

What's the best bill pay plan for this phone and what network. I gone with 3 at 40.66 you get 350 flexi units is that enough wonder. Also see they put up price not free anymore on this plan very strange

• Advertisement

What's the best bill pay plan for this phone and what network. I gone with 3 at 40.66 you get 350 flexi units is that enough wonder. Also see they put up price not free anymore on this plan very strange

350 units = 350 minutes or 700 calls

i hardly use minutes so maybe 50 mins a month.

this gives me 300 units (600 texts) so how much do you use text or calls?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

I'm on 3 with 350 flexi units. It's grand for me, but whether it's okay for you really depends on your text and call usage.

I went with it because of the unlimited data allowance more than anything else. I've not used up all my flexi units yet, in my first 4 months with them (switched from VF in June)

With that plan on 3 too.

350 is usually enough as long was you keep an eye on it.

Remember you can get another 300 texts a month on your phone (and from your desktop) by using your web texts with an application like Cabbage as well.

Ya suppose i be ok then. Just to get the s3 now can't wait getting. It Friday paying my deposit tomorrow so hopefully have it Friday ha. Bye bye bye Europa hello galaxy

Ya suppose i be ok then. Just to get the s3 now can't wait getting. It Friday paying my deposit tomorrow so hopefully have it Friday ha. Bye bye bye Europa hello galaxy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

Switched from iphone recently.
    Airdroid is one of the coolest apps I've seen.

• Advertisement

s3 tomorow woop woop:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Got it love it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Got it love it

Whats the chance of this guy getting pissed up tonight and dropping his shiney new s3 down a ****/vommit laden jacks somewhere ? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

threein99 wrote: »
    Whats the chance of this guy getting pissed up tonight and dropping his shiney new s3 down a ****/vommit laden jacks somewhere ? :D

:D

I'm ordering my S3 tomorrow and I'm heading on a stag this sat....I might bring my trusty S1 for the weekend I think!

:eek:

is the s1 microsim?

or have ypu an adapter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

danniemcq wrote: »
    is the s1 microsim?

or have ypu an adapter?

that's a very good point, it is a microsim and no I don't have an adaptor...I guess I'll buy a case and hope that does the trick! I'm generally fine with phones, my S1 doesn't have a scratch on it but it sounds like Murphy's law could kick in there :D Maybe I just won't get them to port the number to the new sim until monday.

or buy a new sim (or are they free) and that you can still access all contacts via google or whatever sync you have.

forward all calls to your number to new sim then and you're sorted bar the calling or textiung from your phone but thats not the worst

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Download power amp. Ten times better than stock audio player. So many options.

http://powerampapp.com/

Advertisement