Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rods stuck in pipe

• 01-10-2012 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Just managed to clear blockage in sewerage pipe from out flow tank!
    Now rods jammed! Won't go backwards or forwards! Used drop scoop on end of rod!
    What can I do now?
    All suggestions appreciated!
    Flushed toilet few times and water still clearing!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I suppose you tried twisting it too?
    Try throw some caustic soda in there to dissolve organic matter that might be catching the rod.
    You can get some in B&Q for a tenner, mix with warm water and pour in.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Ccheidi

Tried twisting it clock wise but not move. It's like it jammed on something? It's about 10 ten rods I used!

Sometime roots will penetrate sewage pipes. Is there bushes/trees above it?

There's a very old orchard planted about 100 metres from pipes and hedge behind septic tank! Was wondering did I shove rods so far that scoop caught in tank? Septic tank about 40 years old!

Anything is possible. I would go with a full bottle of caustic soda and warm water, let it sit in the pipe for an hour or two.
    Then follow up with a many litres of really hot water while twisting the rod.

You can also pour a bottle of cooking oil into it and hope it lubricates things :)

• Advertisement

Will these rods clog up pipes after I managed to free blockage? Have neighbour booked to help later so will leave caustic soda till after!
    What happens if we can't get pipes out? Leave them there and hope for best?

If you leave rod there other things can get snagged in it and block up the pipe proper, in which case you may even have to dig the whole thing up.
    A pro will be able to go in with a camera and have a look.

Thanks for all you advice! Much appreciated!
    Had neighbour in to give me a hand and we got all rods out! Hopefully drain stays clear!
    Thanks again! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

If you can send some rods up he other way without an attachment it can push the stuck ones free.

Advertisement