Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Waterford ever pick up?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

I dont think things will ever pick up in Ireland and therefore Waterford.

The country is straddled with massive massive debts and all were facing is cuts cuts cuts in every dept(oh here comes another negative poster)

One of the biggest employers is gone Waterford Crystal and more and more places are shut down.

Foreign investment and the availability of easy credit are no longer a reality and Waterford is one of the places suffering the most.

There is no longer an ability to compete with the likes of China or now Nigeria who China are using for their cheap labour, If i wasnt shackled with a mortgage and kids id be long gone out of this place, my advice to any young up and coming people is to leave, I lived in other european countries france and Germany, German is easy to learn and should be obtained in 6 months and they do employ alot of english speakers for english jobs especially in Frankfurt they are crying out of english speakers,

Got any other ideas besides leaving? I kinda don't want to leave! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

There is always window cleaning ,I have never seen the same guy twice. Not cheap either !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Being an outsider and curious about Ireland in general, I have read many guide books etc. for many a year and Waterford falls short compared to what is on offer in the other "big" cities. Yet having travelled around Ireland, Waterford has just as much to offer as the other places where the tourist board or whoever is doing to PR is doing a really good job. Try looking for a b&b between B&Q and Dungarvan and you might struggle. Waterford is falling short of it's competitors in capturing the tourists attention. The Comeraghs are extremely accessible from the city but who is organising anything there ? The place is surely missing a trick.:(

Jaysus you musnt be lookig too hard theres a heap load of B+B's all up and down the cork road from behind aldi a feck it theres too many to point out, if you drive from the start of the cork road in town all the way out youll see plenty of B+Bs

http://www.davidmcwilliams.ie/2012/01/18/expect-house-prices-to-hit-the-bottom-next-year This is something I found a little while ago which piqued my interest. The similarities between Ireland and Japan cannot be ignored, If Ireland pollows the same path then there may only be another year or less until things start picking up again. One can only hope !

This was pointed out on one of the prime time or some show on RTE one evening, Japans difference with Ireland is that Japan for starts has their own currency, and there were a heap load of other reason why ireland isnt Japan pointed out so they kinda crossed that comparison out!

Jason Todd wrote: »
    Got any other ideas besides leaving? I kinda don't want to leave! :p

You could just hope for the vaccum of people leaving to leave space for you!:D

It all depends on personal circumstances what kind of qualifications you have and how old you are, I think a stint living abroad is something that i can only recommend to young free and single people, it changes your whole perspective and i think people will be only better for it and gain better experience, I know i did.

Its not going to get better here for a long time, we'll be paying Quinns bills for another 25 years at least through tax's and premium increases.

In fairness to the government theres too much money going out than coming in and that has to be addressed in the form of cuts, as terrible as it all is, this will cause things to contract seriously, lets hope the government start to look closer to home when they cut! as much as i want to say be positive you have to also be realistic and not bury your head in the sand, If your 20 and it takes 20 years to come good youll be 40 by the time things start to pick up so look at it that way, lets hope we hit the oil big time off dalkey!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Being an outsider and curious about Ireland in general, I have read many guide books etc. for many a year and Waterford falls short compared to what is on offer in the other "big" cities. Yet having travelled around Ireland, Waterford has just as much to offer as the other places where the tourist board or whoever is doing to PR is doing a really good job. Try looking for a b&b between B&Q and Dungarvan and you might struggle. Waterford is falling short of it's competitors in capturing the tourists attention. The Comeraghs are extremely accessible from the city but who is organising anything there ? The place is surely missing a trick.:(

Jaysus you musnt be lookig too hard theres a heap load of B+B's all up and down the cork road from behind aldi a feck it theres too many to point out, if you drive from the start of the cork road in town all the way out youll see plenty of B+Bs
    But those b&bs around the holy cross area are just serving the city, what I meant is there is a vacuum of choices for the tourist to avail of where there are no street lights i.e. the county proper

Ah i have to disagree there sorry im not picking on you in particular;) but there are a few B+B's in the country areas! you just have to look for them!

maybe there arent so well advertised!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

You will only find most B&B's in the villages on your way to dungarvan. Im trying to pick them out in my head now and i cant remember many at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

I think things will pick up but not like before, which i think might be a good thing. I felt when in the tiger people had lost the run of them selfs. I remember in 2006 when driving to work with my wife i would say... ireland cant keep building close to 100k houses each year and expect to fill them. I said this a number of times over the years & knew something had to give but i thought it could be another 10 years not like as it turned out to be 2ish years.

I think WCC have done a good job of late (the past 4 or more years) with less of a budget they seem to be doing more for the city.

I would also agree if your not working in waterford now. And have your qualifications but living here you should just move on and try and find something. Its going to be years and no one knows for sure how long. But your better off going now then spending another 2 years or so looking... 2 years down the road you will feel you just wasted a part of your life and your never getting that time back.
    I moved away for a while when 22, and it was a ball. Would i do it now ? nope. It was the right time in my life, i got work after 3 days and i was with friends.

I cant see it happening to be honest, I think there will another 25 years of adjustments.
    In Waterford there is a huge housing overhang, As long as this is the case the remaining house prices will keep dropping. People cant buy cos they cant get a mortgage due to job security that has a knock on affect to shops like harvey norman and their competitors who employ lots of people.

I think the main thing is Waterford needs a huge focus on Job creation the government needs to act, in order for it to pick up jobs need to be created my 2 cents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

There was a post by someone on the now locked John Creedon cities thread that i would like to addrees.

The real hidden threat according to many people with the inside track, is Cork. De Real Capittle sees itself as capital not only of the People's Republic, but of Greater Munster, and sees Limerick, Clare, Waterford, etc. as its own Lebensraum.

You think I'm joking? Read Professor Ed Walsh's book about the founding and development of UL and you'll get a flavour of how much UCC tried to stymie it at every hand's turn.

And for a concrete, Waterford-related example, remember when WRTC was upgraded to WIT alongside DIT? Who kicked up an almighty stink? That's right! Cork RTC.

First of all this person seems to take offence that Cork sees itself as the capital of munster.Considering that Cork is the largest city in the region and taking into account the fact that the population of the greater Cork city area is bigger than both the populations of Waterford and Limerick cities combined i think it's reasonable to assume that Cork is the capital of munster.This poster complains about Cork institutions making objections to Waterfords detriment.Does he/she not remember that the port of Waterford authority objected to the port of Corks expansion!

My main point is that public representatives that have failed to promote Waterford,that have failed in their duties to fight for Waterford and say were a city just like Cork and Limerick are treat us like one are Waterfords biggest problem not Cork Galway or anywhere else for that matter.In other words the people of Waterford keep electing public representatives that are afraid to rock the boat.Compare that to Galway that place has marketed itself so well that people compare it to major european cities like Paris and Barcelona!In fact people are now under the illusion that Galway is bigger than Limerick!With a bit of investment Waterford would be flying but how often do you encounter Waterford people both in real life and on here that undersell the city and list a huge pile of negatives.It's a sad situation because Waterford was a city long before Galway was.It feels a lot more city like than Galway but people compare Galway to Dublin and Cork and see Waterford as a provincial town like Tralee and Clonmel.I honestly think that Waterford is now paying dearly for decades of poor political representation on a national level.

Advertisement