Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creating a Wifi Network with Wired Broadcasting Points

• 01-10-2012 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭

Hey all, I'm looking for some advice here.

I'm trying to install a wireless network in a huge country house, from converted office space, the difficulty being the sheer length of the building and the thick walls that seem to disrupt wireless signal.

There's a phone system installed with a sort of ethernet switchboard in the house (you need to dial for an outside line, you can phone one room from another etc) and I'm told previously there were wireless broadcasting boxes plugged into the wall via ethernet cables in individual rooms, thereby connected to the switchboard and modem in the main room.

Basically I need to rebuild this system to get high quality wifi coverage in the whole house for all the future tenants but I've no idea where to start. Only eircom is available in the area so I'll be getting a standard eircom modem sent out next week. As I mentioned, I don't want to use wireless repeaters because of lag, expense and the risk of breaking the "chain" (again, the house is crazy "long").

Anybody have any experience creating a network like this? Or know where I could get advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Well if you have cat 5 running around the house why don't you connect everything back to the Eircom router and use that router's DHCP allocate the IP's to all of your network, you may have to use a network switch to extend you lan ports depending on how many cables you are connecting to.

You could then get a couple of wireless access points (disable the DHCP server on them) connected to your cat 5 to cover different parts of the house, you can setup the wireless access points with different SSID's for each part of the house and they would work independently from each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Big Lar

If that don't work, try home plugs

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Lame Lantern

Thanks for the response! Sounds like the business alright.

How tricky would it be to configure a setup like that? I can find my way around the basics of this stuff but anything advanced would be tricky for me.

Advertisement