Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland 6th lowest EU suicide rate

• 01-10-2012 12:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭

But top 4 with young men aged 20-24.
    I heard these starts on the radio but surely they're skewed. I really thought we would have been 6th highest rather than lowest.

For me personally I know one person who has died in a traffic accident but five who have died through suicide. A lot of people I've talked to about it too have said similar stats on the subject.

Is it due to the fact that not all suicides here are classed as suicide officially, or would this be the same in every county.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

This isn't exactly what we should be shooting for the gold medal in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I wonder where we stand on death by "Misadventure".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭weisses

I think (from a foreigner) point of view. Ireland can be a depressing place for that age group

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

weisses wrote: »
    I think (from a foreigner) point of view. Ireland can be a depressing place for that age group

Life is what you make of it. If you have the right attitude you can make a happy and fulfilling life for yourself almost anywhere.

Re the stats on suicide, I'm surprised that we're not closer the top tbh, it seems to be so common (around where I live anyway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

weisses wrote: »
    I think for a lot of lads that age there just isn't as many opportunities for them as there was. Coupled with the non stop doom and gloom from the country on a daily bases, it could tear anyone down if they couldn't get out or stay optimistic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

I read soemwhere that they get put down as death by misadventure.

I've lost two friends by suicide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Islander13

But top 4 with young men aged 20-24.
    I heard these starts on the radio but surely they're skewed. I really thought we would have been 6th highest rather than lowest.

For me personally I know one person who has died in a traffic accident but five who have died through suicide. A lot of people I've talked to about it too have said similar stats on the subject.

Is it due to the fact that not all suicides here are classed as suicide officially, or would this be the same in every county.

I think studies have been done which have said that the link between economic prosperity and suicide is not what you might think.

Eg Nordic countries are very rich with good social nets but suicides are v high there esp Finland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

A lot of the time it isnt reported or recorded as suicide..

I know one guy who wrapped his car around a tree, I'm sure, as are his other friends, that it was suicide. Wasn't recorded as such though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

A lot of the time it isnt reported or recorded as suicide..

I know one guy who wrapped his car around a tree, I'm sure, as are his other friends, that it was suicide. Wasn't recorded as such though

Yeah, it goes back to the days when the church wouldn't bury a suicidee (is that a word?) in consecrated ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Andy Magic wrote: »
    I read soemwhere that they get put down as death by misadventure.

Yeah, inquests etc are relatively unlikely to rule that a death was caused by suicide unless there is very clear evidence for it. In part because such rulings can have a fairly negative effect on the family's financial situation.

The figures are definitely higher than are reported.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Azure_sky wrote: »
    Yeah, it goes back to the days when the church wouldn't bury a suicidee (is that a word?) in consecrated ground.
    Its insurance stuff these days, as well as concern for the family

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I'm surprised it's not higher seeing as we have the smallest dicks in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Who has the biggest dicks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Its always been reported that the suicide rates in certain parts of rural Ireland are among the highest in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

I'd agree about misreporting in coroner inquests, though it seems to go on in the UK as well (ie Gary Speed).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

We have amongst the highest EU rates of suicide, gun crime, unemployment, emigration, alcoholism, drug addiction, small willy size and crap football team.

Dear lord give us a break!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Sauve wrote: »
    Life is what you make of it. If you have the right attitude you can make a happy and fulfilling life for yourself almost anywhere.

Unless you're in Burma. Or North Korea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Jellicoe

Once you get past 24 its no longer a shock how shyte Ireland is, and you learn to accept it. Then you pretend how great Ireland is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

About three or four years ago, three members of the local senior footy team committed suicide all within a year/year and a half of each other.

Heard that at the funeral of the first victim, (which was a huge turnout) the second victim turned to his friend during the mass and asked him .... "I wonder if they would throw a funeral like this for me ?".:confused: No one really thought much of it.

Not 3 or 4 months later he threw himself from a large height. The third and last one who basically had a v.good job, girlfriend, own place and from how I remember him was popular and very bubbly, killed himself a few months after the second man.

I don't think recession or bad weather has as much to do with it like a lot of people think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

After Hours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Pherekydes wrote: »
    After Hours.
    Nooo, there's waay bigger. Tried DIY forum???:) On topic, it's very often filed under somthing else - can't be going all honest on that stat now, can we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

We have amongst the highest EU rates of suicide, gun crime, unemployment, emigration, alcoholism, drug addiction, small willy size and crap football team.

Dear lord give us a break!

It's extremely unwise to ignore the existence of a high suicide rate amongst young people and extremely foolish to pretend that it's just some unimportant issue which is what you are doing. We have to become open as a nation in regards to mental health and cut out making subjects taboo or claiming they're over discussed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Which country has the highest rate of death by choking?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭stone roses

good news and typical irish response! even in the good times we where moaning about somthing or the other , ok things are bad but we have a wonderful country with great people and all we do is moan, moan , moan!!!

we are the 6th lowest not highest , this is great news!! why do we irish always put ourselfs down? the doom and gloom is everywhere its global , people are in crisis all around the world and suicide for many is a why out, god help them but people today expect to much , the way i look at it " if your doing what you want you miss nothing!

Says you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

good news and typical irish response! even in the good times we where moaning about somthing or the other , ok things are bad but we have a wonderful country with great people and all we do is moan, moan , moan!!!

we are the 6th lowest not highest , this is great news!! why do we irish always put ourselfs down? the doom and gloom is everywhere its global , people are in crisis all around the world and suicide for many is a why out, god help them but people today expect to much , the way i look at it " if your doing what you want you miss nothing!
    `
    Quit yer moanin':(

Advertisement