Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Networking: UPC+ Devolo Ethernet II

Options
  • 01-10-2012 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭

Howya.

on a whim I purchased a Devolo Ethernet II home starter kit from Maplins yesterday.
    After connecting it up, if see my desktop upstairs getting an IP address in the range 192.168.137.1
    the wireless connection still connects to my Thompson UPC router in the 192.168.0.X range and works perfectly.

The network tool that came on the Devolo CD can see the connectoer my PC goes into and the connector that is connected via Cat5 to the Thomson router, but there is no internet access.

I logged onto the Thompson router to see if I could change the DHCP address range on the router from 0.x to 137.x but every time I apply changes the router has a conniption fit and has to be restarted, where it goes back to merrily assigning addresses in the 0.x range.

My question is this:
    1. Can I change the Thompson router to the 137.x range successfully

or

2. Can I configure the Devolo ethernet adapters to work in the 0.x range.

Much appreciation for any assistance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

AFAIK 192.168.137.x is the range used by Windows 7 for ICS (Internet Connection Sharing).

I'd suggest you disable ICS, if you've bridged the wireless and ethernet adapters disable this too, then disable the wireless adapter and try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

food for thought, Hadn't considered ICS because it's not something I would have enabled.

No bridging set up either.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There must be something like this configured. Homeplugs are simple physical layer devices, they're completely unaware of any network layer stuff and certainly don't issue IP addresses.

Advertisement