Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Books about music - making it, the industry, rock n' roll excess

• 01-10-2012 1:15pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I seem to have been reading a few biographies lately - Keith Richards, Eric Clapton, Bez (Happy Mondays), Ronnie Drew

But the bedside table is looking empty now again and I was just wondering if anyone had any specific music-related books they'd recommend?

My taste is broad so anything would be welcomed.

Thanks.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

I seem to have been reading a few biographies lately - Keith Richards, Eric Clapton, Bez (Happy Mondays), Ronnie Drew

But the bedside table is looking empty now again and I was just wondering if anyone had any specific music-related books they'd recommend?

My taste is broad so anything would be welcomed.

Thanks.
    Bez was a good one for most of it . Im gonna go lookin for an honest captain beefheart one . He sounds interesting from what I heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭Rigsby

cloptrop wrote: »
    Im gonna go lookin for an honest captain beefheart one . He sounds interesting from what I heard.

Captain Beefheart "The Biography" is a good read, as is Jack Bruce "Composing Himself".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Cheers - I'll check 'em out

Kieran.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭iomega

The ultimate in RnR excess is The Dirt - Motley Crue: Confessions of the World's Most Notorious Rock Band.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Kill Your Friends by John Niven is a funny book about A&R in the English music scene around the time of Britpop - touch of American Psycho thrown in the mix for good measure..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭rednik

Slash - The autobiography
    Don Felder - Heaven & Hell my life in the Eagles
    Sammy Hagar - Red
    Stephen Davis - Hammer of the Gods

All are a good read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

Wonderland Avenue by Danny Sugarman.

About The Doors (he was their publicist or something similar). Great book. Lots of madness involved.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Cheers again.

Kieran

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭doughef

About The Doors (he was their publicist or something similar). Great book. Lots of madness involved.

Could not agree more.. It goes on to mention his time managing Ray Manzarek and Iggy Pop.

Fantastic book

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 CaptainSnipes

Came out last May: Here Comes Everybody — the story of The Pogues, by James Fearnley (their accordionist). He spins a decent yarn for an instrumentalist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

By the same guy - No one Here Gets Out Alive.
    Both are worth it just to know what Iggy Pops idea of home refurb was like in the 1970s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭odonopenmic

Hellfire - Jerry Lee Lewis Biography. It reads like a novel. Treat!

I'll Sleep When I'm Dead - Warren Zevon Biography. Some story - he got music lessons from Stravinsky when he was a kid.

Advertisement