Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving jobs to move back to Ireland.

Options
  • 01-10-2012 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I currently have a decent job in the North of England. However, I'm considering moving back to Ireland for personal reasons and this would require quitting my current job.

It's not an ideal situation, and as i'm relatively inexperienced (just entering into second year in this job, which I got straight out of College), I think it's a risky thing in the current climate.

Is it acceptable to apply for jobs while you are currently in a job? In an ideal world I'd have a job before quitting my current one, but is this feasible?

With interviewing stages etc. would I have to tell my current employers of my intentions before attending?

I'm a bit lost at the moment and any advice would be great.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

It's normal to apply for a new job while in an existing one simply because it can take some time and it allows you to be more picky in your selection. Due to the current state of Irish employee market I'd highly recommend you don't hand in a resignation until you've got a signed contract in your hand as it is likely to come back and bite you if not.

You would not need to tell your employer that you're going to an interview but if your old grandma dies 3 times in 3 months and you need an urgent flight back to Dublin they may get suspicous. Best way to arrange this is to try to do phone interviews first (can often be scheduled around lunch breaks or similar to walk out from the general office area where you can be over heard) and if they are serious do a final face interview (or alternatively have them arrange to have multiple interviews over a day with you rather then spread out).

Be aware that chances are you will need to pay for the flight tickets etc. yourself for flying back for the interview (after all it's your choice to move back) but some companies may pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Equality

This is a bad time of the year to be looking for a job. A lot of companies will hire you for a 'permanent' job, and in January when the Christmas rush is over they will let you go. Some industries are notorious for this.

If you are jobhunting, you would be well advised to check your social welfare entitlements before you move companies - assistance is greatly reduced for young people in Ireland at present.

If you knew that you qualified for benefit (instead of assistance) at the full rate of 188 that would be some support if you got a new job and were let go after Christmas. This is easy to check - just look at your P60/P45 for two years ago.

Advertisement