Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

learn javasript

Options
  • 01-10-2012 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭

i need help with javscript,i am a complete beginner

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭MC_G

www.codeacademy.com

http://eloquentjavascript.net/

Great resources for getting started.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,217 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Here's another forum that may be of help. Don't ask them to do the work for you, they hate that, but if you have a question about how to do something, or why a script isn't doing what you expect, they'll help you out.
    http://forums.devshed.com/javascript-development-115/

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

Sonye wrote: »
    i need help with javscript,i am a complete beginner

w3schools.com

thenewboston.org

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭raher1

your all life savers.any more links. started back to college as a mature student,ye know the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

you could always post problems you have here with examples.

amen wrote: »

news to ears.do it later on today.its basic enough stuff for some

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

amen wrote: »

news to ears.do it later on today.its basic enough stuff for some

As mentioned above, so long as you do some footwork yourself, most people are more than happy to help. E.g. posts in te style 'why doesn't this chunk of code do X, I've already tried A, B, C' go down a lot better than 'Solve this whole thing for me' :)

Was mentioned in another post but no harm to repeat it - get to know Firebug if you don't already - really helps you learn JS, as you can put what are called 'break-points' in the code: where the code pauses halfway through running and you can see what value any variable has at that point, or play on the script line by line.

Good luck with the course! :)

if ( )
    {
    alert("Let's go down the first road!");
    }
    else
    {
    // what should we do if the condition is wrong? fill in here:

}

Fill in a condition on line 1 of the program that will evaluate to false. What will happen to your robot?

Fill in some code to run if the condition is false, using console.log this time.

lol, the exact opposite of what this guy is saying
    Feathers wrote: »
    As mentioned above, so long as you do some footwork yourself, most people are more than happy to help. E.g. posts in te style 'why doesn't this chunk of code do X, I've already tried A, B, C' go down a lot better than 'Solve this whole thing for me' :)

• Advertisement

lol, the exact opposite of what this guy is saying[/QUOTE
    lost the plot there.its hard going. i think i have the answer now.

No one is judging your standard of JavaScript - we were all beginners at some stage - but you didn't ask an actual question, you just posted what looks like a page from a book :) If you're asking people to try & guess what you want to know before they even reply, you're not going to get much luck.

I wasn't poking fun at your skills. I'm happy to help as are most people on boards, but if you just dump your exam/test question, people will be reluctant to help, unless you have, as said above, shown that you have tried something.

Its also a good idea to post the solution you went with in the end and any learning or problems you encountered getting there, so others viewing the thread, who are also starting off, don't make the same mistakes, and its more of a community effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Code academy is a good website to get you started. I've dabbled and touched on it before in college but not in great detail. Only getting to grips with it myself, only recently started learning it properly. Its a bit like Java but with the element of HTML.

I think keep practising and make sure you understand what you are doing it makes it easier when trying to learn and practise code that you are unsure of.

Reading notes helps and then try to code a little yourself with notes and solutions and then doing it yourself without notes/book/solutions.

Another thing as well, reading the question carefully what they are asking you, jot down what is important as part of what has to be coded. Translate what you'd code in English terms before you start the coding, can help make you understand what is asked of you if you finding it frustrating. If it not going to plan, proofread your code, a simple spelling error could cause havoc to a code not to work as you think It should.

Hope it goes ok for you. Best of luck with it!

i will show more respect. time to get off the fence and worked the java field

Where would get a glossary of terms for JavaScript. I figure if I write out the script in plain I might understand and learn it.

javascript-cheat-sheet-v1.png

Taken from here

I googled 'Javascript cheat sheet'. There's a cheat sheet for almost every language!

This one from Mozilla seems fairly comprehensive

Referenced from Douglas Crockford's website so good endorsement. If you haven't come across Crockford, you may want to steer clear of him for a little bit ;) Man knows his stuff & a must-read on JavaScript, but personally I'd get the basics down first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Take a look at jquery (http://jquery.com/), it may simplify things if you are starting to learn JavaScript from scratch (there are plugins for common functionality such as date pickers, number formatting, validation, grids, cookies, field manipulation etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Take a look at jquery (http://jquery.com/), it may simplify things if you are starting to learn JavaScript from scratch (there are plugins for common functionality such as date pickers, number formatting, validation, grids, cookies, field manipulation etc).

I'd try to understand basic javascript before looking at jquery, its great but if you have no idea what you are doing then it can seem like a magic box that you just cut and paste stuff from.

OP Javascript development with firebug is quite enjoyable, its very quick and you get instant feedback and debugging. If you cut corners now then long term you will never really understand javascript properly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement