Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What on earth is kocking its way through my timber frame house???

• 01-10-2012 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Edit: and that should be knocking but it wont let me edit thread title!

Something (can a bird/squirrel do this?) has gotten itself into the cavity between the brick and the timber frame and decided my attic space is a great place to nest - no sign of it now but guess maybe back next spring.

Now i dont like the thought of my house being eaten and cannot for the life of me find where they are getting in externally - I have inspected and cant find any visible gaps etc.

Grateful for suggestions on what it is and more importantly what i can do to stop it!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'd be more inclined to think in terms of rodents, i.e. mice or rats.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭richardbradley

I did think of that - the only thing is there is no sign of any poo of any kind and a big pile of nest made from sticks (quite large sticks?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭Paddysnapper

I'd say by the size of the hole Rattus Norwegicus would be culprit:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

My guess,rats.One of them done exactly this in my parents house.Found it dead after a few weeks in the attic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

I did think of that - the only thing is there is no sign of any poo of any kind and a big pile of nest made from sticks (quite large sticks?)

Thats interesting.Could it be Jackdaws/Crows so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Its my bet that hole is from your builder. ie when they are lifting the timber panels up they punch a hole in the board. They do it to a lot of the houses.

As for the noise. A rat or mouse is not that loud. I am guessing a bird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

I've had both squirrels and chipmunks. They tend to come is as the weather gets colder then leave in Spring. With both of these you'll see discarded nut shells and if you remove some plasterboard ........ little tunnels through the insulation. Admittedly the weather here is below -20C for about a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

most likely starlings there right little b......s for finding a way in rats dont build nests with twigs so most likely the former

Advertisement