Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business Intelligence and Data Analytics Courses

Options
  • 01-10-2012 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone knew of any good full time or part time courses available in Dublin in the areas of Business Inteligence and Data Analytics. My educational background is in engineering and IT. For the past 5 years I have been working as a Technology Consultant but I want to move into the area of Analytics, but in order to do so, I think I need to go back to studying it wither full time or part time. Any advice or information about these courses would be great :)

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Adora wrote: »
    Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone knew of any good full time or part time courses available in Dublin in the areas of Business Inteligence and Data Analytics. My educational background is in engineering and IT. For the past 5 years I have been working as a Technology Consultant but I want to move into the area of Analytics, but in order to do so, I think I need to go back to studying it wither full time or part time. Any advice or information about these courses would be great :)

Thanks

Business Intelligence & Data Mining - Blanchardstown Institute of Technology.

Delivered online as far as I know.

http://www.itb.ie/StudyatITB/bn518BID.html

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭birchtree

I'm doing MSc in Data Analytics at DIT. Most modules are also delivered as Continuous Professional Diploma, meaning you can just take one module that is of interest to you. http://www.dit.ie/postgrad/programmes/dt285dt286mscincomputingdataanalytics/

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Adora

Hi there,

Thanks a million for getting to me.

Regarding the MSc in Data Analytics at DIT..are you do it full time or part time? Do you know what the hours are like for full or part time?

Also, I looked up the DIT Continuing Adult Education & Professional Development Site (http://www.dit.ie/registration/feesandgrants/fees/continuingeducationprofessionaldev/)

and unfortunately I cant find information on doing modules on Analytics or BI. Am I looking in the right place? It would be fantastic if modules were offered!!

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Adora

Thanks a million..have you done the course your self? And if so, did you find it beneficial?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

MSc in Business Analytics in Smurfit?

http://www.smurfitschool.ie/businessanalytics/

• Advertisement

Have a look at the list of core modules in the link in my previous post, that's what is available.
    Not all modules are available every semester, though. There is an email address on that link there as well, they are quite good in answering queries.
    There are daytime courses for full time students and evening time courses for part time students. Evening courses start at 18:30, one evening per week.

Data Analytics is an umbrella name for the whole programme, there isn't just one module called data analytics. BI falls under this umbrella as well. If there is something specific that you're looking for, you'd better off talking to DIT.

I'm doing it part time for the second year now. I'm moving from a different industry, so everything is steep learning curve to me. Time will tell how beneficial the course was, but it's all good stuff what I'm learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 subdian

@birchtree - did you complete the MSc in Data Analytics? How did you find the course overall, and how many hours a week did it work out as roughly? Am considering the part-time option myself

subdian wrote: »
    @birchtree - did you complete the MSc in Data Analytics? How did you find the course overall, and how many hours a week did it work out as roughly? Am considering the part-time option myself

I've spread it out over 3 years, I have another year to go. I'm taking 2 modules every semester, which is 6 hours class time a week. Guidelines advise two hours of outside work for each hour in class ttp://www.dit.ie/study/parttime/faqs/#13 Realistically, on average, it is good advise. Some subjects may be more familiar than others, and require little effort, others are quite challenging and eat up evenings and weekends. If your motivation is to absorb new knowledge then it will take up all the time you can afford. If the goal is just a pass mark, you might get by with few sleepless nights before deadlines and exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Adora wrote: »
    Hi there,

Thanks

Adora, Did you decide on any of the Analytics courses in the end?

I would like to pursue one but getting the balance between programming/ data management / cost is tricky.

I am also looking at this course:http://www.imi.ie/imi-diplomas/imi-diploma-in-data-business/

Advertisement