Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My son's class today learned there are 9 planets in the Solar System

• 01-10-2012 2:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭telecaster

My 4 year old goes to Montessori 5 days per week. He had been attending a pre-school group 3 days a week the previous year and was due to do his 5 days per week there this year.

However his teachers said he was ready to do more learning than play, and they - to their great credit - recommended that he would flourish more in a Montessori environment. And so we switched him to the local Montessori.

The Montessori clearly has a sniff of itself: badged uniforms, fees above the state subsidised scheme, a rather patronising tone to parents etc.

We received 2 letters in the post from the Montessori ahead of the term starting. These were guidelines about how the school is run, procedural information, lunch details etc. Both of these official-styled correspondences were riddled with grammatical and spelling errors. I counted 25 errors in one page which had no more than 6 paragraphs. It looked as if some of the more advanced kids at the school had composed the letter as a project.

My concern that there doltards at the helm was growing.

Today my son came home and told me he'd learned all about the solar system at school. He told me there were 9 planets. I told him there was 8, and counted them out to him. He told me I missed Pluto.

I don't expect absolutely everyone to know that Pluto was reclassified some years back and is no longer considered a planet. I do expect a professional educator to know it though.

I don't want to humiliate or embarass the Montessori owner/teacher, but I'm concerned my kid is going to be less wise after the year's experience than before it.

What would you do in my position?

Comments

I'd post in the Parenting or preschool forums

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Start a petition to get Pluto reclassified as a Planet.

That way your sons faith in teachers knowledge will not be rocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭telecaster

bluewolf wrote: »
    I'd post in the Parenting or preschool forums

nope, I wanted the AH opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Il Trap

Talk to Joe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

you would think someone in that position would know. I would complain in writing to the management and ask them to clarify why they are teaching outdated info, after all you're paying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Won't be the last falsehood your child gets thaught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

You should have said to your kid:

"Pffffft, Pluto is a dog ya thicko" :p

You should go down and complain to the owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Its not a big thing tbh, just leave it.

I was taught things in primary school that were lies or half-truths by the time i got to secondary school

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

Thinly veiled 'my child is so intelligent'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

benwavner wrote: »
    You should have said to your kid:

"Pffffft, Pluto is a dog ya thicko" :p

You should go down and complain to the owner.

or better still write him a letter :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

I'd chill the **** out

I know, thats why the scientists reclassified it

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

No mommy Pluto is not a planet, it was re-classified 3 years ago by Prof gringinwaldensfeld of harvard university astronomy department in a paper titled 'daddy why are there stars'.

what are you expecting of a 4/5/6 year old?

No mommy a spider isnt an insect its an arachnid, no mommy the sea isn't blue thats just the atmosphere reflecting on the surface, in fact water has no colour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

I was taught things in primary school that were lies or half-truths by the time i got to secondary school

and now your a politician?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

guinang wrote: »
    Thinly veiled...

I wish that phrase like "Yore Ma" could be banned!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Maybe just bring it up with them? I know it's a bizarre idea but it just might have a better impact than moaning about it on the internet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Go to the Teacher and tell them to shove Pluto to the back of Uranus where it belongs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

They're probably being taught that because that's what's in the book. It's also possible that the teacher has no idea that Pluto lost it's planetary status.

I'd be inclined to have a go at them over the letter rather than Pluto; the kids can relearn the solar system later, spelling and grammar is magnitudes more important, and if the school can't send out something properly written then I'd doubt their ability to teach it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Screw reclassification. To me, pluto will always be a planet. Good old pluto, forever in our hearts ;_; nevar forget etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

i'll be deep in the cold, cold ground before i reconise missouri pluto! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

What about the other planet that The Man doesn't tell you about?

It's always behind Saturn so we can never see it but it's called Conspiro I think and it's probably where they keep all the dinosaurs and aliens and where they take you to probe your anus and whatnot.

crazygeryy wrote: »
    and now your a politician?

now i'm less naive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Ah, you have to send the letter back to them. Use a red pen and circle all the errors. Don't forget to write "could do better" at the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

Asian parent?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Screw everyone, as far as I'm concerned Pluto is still a planet to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

I'ld leave my job, find a fat friend and set up my own Montessori and call it Daddy Day Care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sir Pompous Righteousness

Don't forget poor Ceres. We should make a petition to make Ceres a planet too, it's closer to Earth than Pluto as well. It's not size that matters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceres_(dwarf_planet)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Blah pluto is still a planet, a dwarf planet but planet nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Some of them moons of Jupiter will be reclassified as planets soon.

You should be proud your child is going to such a forward thinking school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,450 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

kylith wrote: »

I'd be inclined to have a go at them over the letter rather than Pluto; the kids can relearn the solar system later, spelling and grammar is magnitudes more important, and if the school can't send out something properly written then I'd doubt their ability to teach it.

I'd definitely point out the errors (in as snarky a manner as possible) but I wouldn't generally expect a Montessori to be teaching spelling and grammar to a 4 year old. You'd have to go Froebel for that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

How ye could even give a **** I don't understand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

How did he get on with differential calculus?

I presume there were no problems there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

I would almost guarantee you every primary school and secondary school in the country still teaches children that Pluto is a planet. Sorry but you should find more important things to waste your time on :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Should be fun when they start teaching religious FACTS!!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

'A planet once again
    A planet once again
    they dropped it to 8 but its back up to nine
    Its a planet once agaaaiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnn '

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You should do what they did in the secretary and mark all the spelling mistakes in red pen, then spank the arse off of'em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

Send the boy into space to check for himself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

guinang wrote: »
    Thinly veiled 'my child is so intelligent'.

Well he obviously isn't, he thinks there are nine planets! There's a grim future on his horizon. "would you like fries with that?".. ha, nine planets. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Make a huge deal about it here, to the creche and to your four year old thus kick-starting the overbearing, competitive, middle-class goal emphasizing that will alienate your kid into mangling his grammar; becoming a drug-dealer and getting horrid, common girls from community schools up the duff just to irritate you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

telecaster wrote: »
    My 4 year old goes to Montessori 5 days per week. He had been attending attended a pre-school group 3 days a week the previous year and was due to do his 5 days per week there this year.

However, his teachers said he was ready to do more learning than play, and they, - to their great credit, - recommended that he would flourish more in a Montessori environment. And So we switched him to the local Montessori.

The Montessori clearly has a sniff of itself:.Badged uniforms, fees above the state subsidised scheme, a rather patronising tone to parents etc.

We received 2 letters in the post from the Montessori ahead of the term starting. These were guidelines about how the school is run, procedural information, lunch details etc. Both of these official-styled correspondences were riddled with grammatical and spelling errors. I counted 25 errors in on one page which had no more than 6 paragraphs. It looked as if though some of the more advanced kids at the school had composed the letter as a project.

My concern that there they are doltards at the helm was growing.

Today my son came home and told me he'd learned learnt all about the solar system at school. He told me there were are 9 planets. I told him there is 8, and counted them out to him. He told me I missed Pluto.

I don't expect absolutely everyone to know that Pluto was reclassified some years back and is no longer considered a planet. I do expect a professional educator to know it though.

I don't want to humiliate or embarass the Montessori owner/teacher, but I'm concerned my kid is going to be less wise after the year's years experience than before it.

You speak betterer english!

Whats the point in demoting a planet anyway? Arrogance on our part tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭CH3OH

telecaster wrote: »
    I don't want to humiliate or embarass the Montessori owner/teacher

If you want to embarrass him/her over their spelling, it is important to have the spelling of the word correct;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

OP, does your child believe in Santa, Mother Goose, the Tooth Fairy?

Let him believe in Pluto too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Snowie wrote: »
    or better still write him a letter :eek:
    Or get the child to write the letter.... the owner may understand it then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Marcusm wrote: »
    I'd definitely point out the errors (in as snarky a manner as possible) but I wouldn't generally expect a Montessori to be teaching spelling and grammar to a 4 year old. You'd have to go Froebel for that!
    Mark each error in red pen and grade it :D

I mightn't expect them to teach any spelling beyond 'cat', but I would expect them to lead by example. Kids pick up on things they see around the place, signs, etc. There's rarely an excuse for bad grammar or spelling.

CH3OH wrote: »
    If you want to embarrass him/her over their spelling, it is important to have the spelling of the word correct;)

I'd like to thank you for sticking your 'r' in

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Ah, you have to send the letter back to them. Use a red pen and circle all the errors. Don't forget to write "could do better" at the bottom.
    +1

If you are going to send a letter you should plan it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Go down with these letters and your knowledge of the solar system, ask them why they're so stuck up and why their rates are so high. Go on to ask why it is that they struggle to write a piece of text and are clearly ill-informed and spreading this misinformation to your children.
    They may only be 4 years old but at this age they're taking their teacher's words as gospel, when they come home to find they were told something that isn't true this could be difficult for them.

Personally I wouldn't send my child to a Montessori. They're children, let them play and grow their social skills. That's the purpose of play school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Feck that, Pluto's still a planet in my book.

It's in the same category as Opal Fruits don't exist anymore. (stupid starburst! - They're Opal Fruits Damit!)

If i just ignore the facts i'm happier
    Sometimes the truth is just less interesting

• Advertisement
Advertisement