Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My son's class today learned there are 9 planets in the Solar System

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

ch750536 wrote: »
    You speak betterer english!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055747615

Reading English comes in handy as well. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Rigol wrote: »
    No mommy Pluto is not a planet, it was re-classified 3 years ago by Prof gringinwaldensfeld of harvard university astronomy department in a paper titled 'daddy why are there stars'.

what are you expecting of a 4/5/6 year old?

No mommy a spider isnt an insect its an arachnid, no mommy the sea isn't blue thats just the atmosphere reflecting on the surface, in fact water has no colour.

I was totally like that at that age. If OP's kid gets the chance, so could they. Don't be jealous of smart children just because you might not have been a special snowflake.

Did I read somewhere that Pluto may be reclassified as a planet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

no mommy the sea isn't blue thats just the atmosphere reflecting on the surface, in fact water has no colour.

Wrong. Water is actually blue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Biggins wrote: »
    I wish that phrase like "Yore Ma" could be banned!

Yore ma is banned from AH. Was she that shíte?

Just a joke. Still love ya ya big grumpy fecker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Sent one of my two children to Monster-rip-off school. Absolutely no difference to the progress the other one made in an ordinary pre-school. It's an education system generally run by ladies-who-do-lunch where image is everything and the child doesn't matter all that much if they don't respond to the methods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

rarnes1 wrote: »

Some pissed off Plutonians started a Facebook page and their threats forced the planet classifying department to back down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

You think that's bad wait till they start teaching him Jesus is the son of God.
    What you gonna do when he comes home with that sh~~e?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Yawns wrote: »
    Just a joke. Still love ya ya big grumpy fecker!

Address me by my proper title ya little bollox! :D;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Complain to the department of education and tell them that this is unacceptable. I was once thought by my primary school teacher 8 multiplied by 8 is 1,0858,934,434,23. I got him fired and sued him for 100k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

godeas16 wrote: »
    You think that's bad wait till they start teaching him Jesus is the son of God.
    What you gonna do when he comes home with that sh~~e?

This is something I'll be making very clear to teachers when the time comes.
    Though, I am only 22 so we may have moved passed that as a country by that time. Here's to hoping anyway!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

won't happen again ya dirty bollox!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Carraig Fhearghais

Ahh Plutonians, great bunch of lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

Astronomer "Sorry, Pluto, we're reclassifying you as a dwarf planet"

Pluto "Is it cos I is cold and dark?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

telecaster wrote: »
    nope, I wanted the AH opinion
    I'd blast it with pi55 so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

I don't know about anybody else, but I feel sorry for poor Galileo's parents. They didn't have the luxury of the internet to air their woes :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I'd put it in perspective OP. With 1 in 4 leaving school in Ireland with basic literacy numeracy issues, the reclassifications of planets in primary level education would be pretty far down my list of educational concerns...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

My 4 year old goes to Montessori 5 days per week. He had been attending a pre-school group 3 days a week the previous year and was due to do his 5 days per week there this year.

However his teachers said he was ready to do more learning than play, and they - to their great credit - recommended that he would flourish more in a Montessori environment. And so we switched him to the local Montessori.

The Montessori clearly has a sniff of itself: badged uniforms, fees above the state subsidised scheme, a rather patronising tone to parents etc.

We received 2 letters in the post from the Montessori ahead of the term starting. These were guidelines about how the school is run, procedural information, lunch details etc. Both of these official-styled correspondences were riddled with grammatical and spelling errors. I counted 25 errors in one page which had no more than 6 paragraphs. It looked as if some of the more advanced kids at the school had composed the letter as a project.

My concern that there doltards at the helm was growing.

Today my son came home and told me he'd learned all about the solar system at school. He told me there were 9 planets. I told him there was 8, and counted them out to him. He told me I missed Pluto.

I don't expect absolutely everyone to know that Pluto was reclassified some years back and is no longer considered a planet. I do expect a professional educator to know it though.

I don't want to humiliate or embarass the Montessori owner/teacher, but I'm concerned my kid is going to be less wise after the year's experience than before it.

What would you do in my position?

Wait til your son is spending an hour a day at school learning about religion. :pac:

"Mammy, Jaysis rose from the dead-fact"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭WhimSock

There's only one thing to avoid such blunders in the future. Homeschooling it is!

'And who created the EIGHT planets, Johnny?'

- You Dad?

'That's correct, son. Another gold star!'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Onli 90s kids wil remember Pluto <3 xx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

Today my son came home and told me he'd learned all about the solar system at school. He told there were 9 planets. I told him there was 8, and counted them out to him. He told me I missed Pluto.

I miss Pluto too... come back Pluto, come back home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

They probably told your child that Atari and Jaguar were a games console and a luxury car too:rolleyes: psst

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

TBH http://xkcd.com/1071/

look at the centre box, we live on one of the dots between the two blue ones.

Pluto's equatorial diameter is 2,274 km

Things in our solar system bigger than it

Earth's Moon - diameter 3,476 km

Jupiter has four moons larger than Pluto -
    Ganymede - diameter 5,262 km
    Callisto - diameter 4,800 km
    Io - diameter 3,630 km
    Europa - diameter 3,138 km

Saturn has one moon larger than Pluto -
    Titan - diameter 5,150 km

Neptune has one moon larger than Pluto -
    Triton - diameter 2,700 km

Eris - Dwarf planet - diameter 2,326 Km

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

At least 20% of what I learned in leaving cert Chemistry, Biology and Physics was wrong. And I'm now in a position to make that judgement. Welcome to the Irish education system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Pluto is still a planet as far as I am concerned. **** the know-it-all astronomers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

I wouldn't let my kids go to that montessori. They be telling them their Christmas presents are magically brought by a fat man in a red suit next.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

Well if she is calling pluto a planet she forgot to teach your child the other 570,000 or so other minor planets in the solar system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

I thought the whole Pluto not being a planet was a Conspiracy Theory?

Something about the US wanting to lay claim to the mineral rights. I believe I read that it is easier to claim them by reclassifying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

My 4 year old goes to Montessori 5 days per week. He had been attending a pre-school group 3 days a week the previous year and was due to do his 5 days per week there this year.

However his teachers said he was ready to do more learning than play, and they - to their great credit - recommended that he would flourish more in a Montessori environment. And so we switched him to the local Montessori.

The Montessori clearly has a sniff of itself: badged uniforms, fees above the state subsidised scheme, a rather patronising tone to parents etc.

We received 2 letters in the post from the Montessori ahead of the term starting. These were guidelines about how the school is run, procedural information, lunch details etc. Both of these official-styled correspondences were riddled with grammatical and spelling errors. I counted 25 errors in one page which had no more than 6 paragraphs. It looked as if some of the more advanced kids at the school had composed the letter as a project.

Today my son came home and told me he'd learned all about the solar system at school. He told me there were 9 planets. I told him there was 8, and counted them out to him. He told me I missed Pluto.

Actually he and the teacher were right.
    They WERE 9 planets.
    There are according to current thinking 8 since pluto was axed.
    I think it was because of Disney ???

This actually rmeinds me of a funny letter from a teacher to parents...
    Some of you may know it. ;)
    Dear Mrs. XXXX:

You may already know this, but in case Alex has neglected to tell you, I am assigning him to detention for one hour this Friday, April 22. The reason is as follows:

Alex consistently defied me. During class he contradicted me numerous times when I insisted that the length of one kilometer was greater than that of one mile. Every other student in class accepted my lesson without argument, but your son refused to believe what I told him, offering such rebuttals as, "You're lying to the class," and commanding other students to challenge my curriculum.

Although he was correct, Alex's actions show a blatant disregard for authority, and a complete lack of respect for his school. In the future, Alex would be better off simply accepting my teachings without resistance.

Please see to it that your son understands this.

Regards,
    Adam Hilliker

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

I don't expect absolutely everyone to know that Pluto was reclassified some years back and is no longer considered a planet. I do expect a professional educator to know it though.

I don't want to humiliate or embarass the Montessori owner/teacher, but I'm concerned my kid is going to be less wise after the year's experience than before it.

What happened with this OP.
    Jupiter straight or not?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Whats the point in demoting a planet anyway? Arrogance on our part tbh

There are other bodies in the solar system with greater mass - so it was either 8 or IIRC 11 planets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

If the kid learns that teachers are sometimes wrong it will be a much more valuable lesson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Tomorrows lesson

This is the shape of the planet Earth:

Draw a picture if it in your copy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

rarnes1 wrote: »

Yeah, in the "How to be a Montessori Teacher" handbook from the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

humbert wrote: »
    If the kid learns that teachers are sometimes wrong it will be a much more valuable lesson.

No it wont, he'll grow up a know it all constantly correcting people. Kids need to soak up facts and then question them when they have a bit of cop on. You start them questioning what they are told too early and you'll end up with an uncontrollable monster who has no regard for authority !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I know, thats why the scientists reclassified it

Dear Sir/ Madam, I'm begining to doubt if you even have a child. But in any case, well played.

Puts the guff about the quality of our teachers in context.

Whats the point in demoting a planet anyway? Arrogance on our part tbh

Because there are 7 moons in the Solar System bigger than Pluto and it also orbits the Sun unlike any of the other planets. It should never have been classified a planet.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    and it also orbits the Sun unlike any of the other planets.

Excuse my ignorance but I thought all the planets orbitted the sun?

• Advertisement

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance but I thought all the planets orbitted the sun?

Unlike as in "differently"...looks like someone needs to go back to Montessori.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Scioch wrote: »
    No it wont, he'll grow up a know it all constantly correcting people. Kids need to soak up facts and then question them when they have a bit of cop on. You start them questioning what they are told too early and you'll end up with an uncontrollable monster who has no regard for authority !!
    I'm not sure whether you're joking or serious but a kid should never be scolded for asking why and should be encouraged to think critically.

Unlike as in "differently"...looks like someone needs to go back to Montessori.

Perhaps you should have said 'unlike any of the other moons'

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Perhaps you should have said 'unlike any of the other moons'

Because that wouldn't make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

space accuracy is very important for children to learn..........when they are about 25.....

Because that wouldn't make sense.

And this does?
    Because there are 7 moons in the Solar System bigger than Pluto and it also orbits the Sun unlike any of the other planets. It should never have been classified a planet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭mariano rivera

Pluto was re-classified as a dwarf planet

Its still a planet, albeit a dwarf one

Unless you dont see dwarfs as people

Racist !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

No mommy Pluto is not a planet, it was re-classified 3 years ago by Prof gringinwaldensfeld of harvard university astronomy department in a paper titled 'daddy why are there stars'.

what are you expecting of a 4/5/6 year old?

No mommy a spider isnt an insect its an arachnid, no mommy the sea isn't blue thats just the atmosphere reflecting on the surface, in fact water has no colour.

OPs issue isn't with their child, but with the teacher. A teacher who is giving the child wrong info. That's a problem. If you had a kid you might understand more. If you do have a kid, maybe you should be more concerned about what they're being taught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

I'd put it in perspective OP. With 1 in 4 leaving school in Ireland with basic literacy numeracy issues, the reclassifications of planets in primary level education would be pretty far down my list of educational concerns...

Yeah, cause we need to be lowering our standards in education...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Liamario wrote: »
    OPs issue isn't with their child, but with the teacher. A teacher who is giving the child wrong info. That's a problem. If you had a kid you might understand more. If you do have a kid, maybe you should be more concerned about what they're being thought.

Teehee.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

Liamario wrote: »
    OPs issue isn't with their child, but with the teacher. A teacher who is giving the child wrong info. That's a problem. If you had a kid you might understand more. If you do have a kid, maybe you should be more concerned about what they're being thought.

the child is too young to need indept knowledge about any subject....

maybe the teacher is aware of that, and was just teaching the general idea.....

if so, well done him......

• Advertisement
Advertisement