Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My son's class today learned there are 9 planets in the Solar System

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

telecaster wrote: »
    Today my son came home and told me he'd learned all about the solar system at school. He told me there were 9 planets. I told him there was 8, and counted them out to him. He told me I missed Pluto.

I don't expect absolutely everyone to know that Pluto was reclassified some years back and is no longer considered a planet. I do expect a professional educator to know it though.

http://mediacdn.snorgcontent.com/media/catalog/product/i/t/itsokaypluto_fullpic_artwork.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭FensterDJ

take it up with Neil Tyson, https://twitter.com/neiltyson it's all his fault

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

It's OK

later on you'll learn about holes , they go from positive to negative but move a lot slower than electrons

yes but holes is just the absence of electrons. Anyway current is defined useing electrons and not holes so i dont see how that matters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭Fizzical

OP

Im in college and there are still teaching us things that are 100% wrong and shown to be wrong but they still teach it us anway :rolleyes:

For example current flows from positive to negative. We are always thought that no matter what level of education your at.
    What is current?
    Current is the flow of electrons
    Electrons flow from negative to positive

:confused:

So basicly becouse of mistakes made 100's of years ago before the elctron was even discovered all of siecince and engineering still assumes that current flows from + to -
    And no one is willing to change it although everyone knows that it is wrong...
    Relax a while.

Current is the flow of charge, not of electrons.

E.g. when current is flowing in an electrolyte, if positive ions flow to the right then negative ones will flow to the left - in the same solution, at the same time. What's the direction of the current here?

You gotta learn to move from concrete thinking to abstract...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭WhimSock

My Very Educated Montessoriteacher Just Showed Us Nine Planets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

Fizzical wrote: »
    Relax a while.

Current is the flow of charge, not of electrons.

E.g. when current is flowing in an electrolyte, if positive ions flow to the right then negative ones will flow to the left - in the same solution, at the same time. What's the direction of the current here?

You gotta learn to move from concrete thinking to abstract...

I understand that but the originaly before the electrons where even discovered but known to be there if that makes sence we assumed that they flowed from positive to negative. That is shown to be false so we change the defination to the 'flow of holes' or whatever. No problems there and to be honest it makes no difference whatsoever.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

yes but holes is just the absence of electrons. Anyway current is defined useing electrons and not holes so i dont see how that matters
    Like I said wait 'till later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭Fizzical

I understand that but the originaly before the electrons where even discovered but known to be there if that makes sence we assumed that they flowed from positive to negative. That is shown to be false so we change the defination to the 'flow of holes' or whatever. No problems there and to be honest it makes no difference whatsoever.

I know it's late, but just - what??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

ch750536 wrote: »
    My 4 year old goes to Montessori 5 days per week. He had been attending attended a pre-school group 3 days a week the previous year and was due to do his 5 days per week there this year.

However, his teachers said he was ready to do more learning than play, and they, - to their great credit, - [Stylistic choice. Both can be used correctly. There was nothing wrong with the OP's use of commas here.] recommended that he would flourish more in a Montessori environment. And So, we switched him to the local Montessori.

The Montessori clearly has a sniff of itself:.Badged uniforms, fees above the state subsidised scheme, a rather patronising tone to parents etc. [OP's original sentence was correct as was the colon use. You have now introduced a sentence fragment that wasn't in the original post.]

We received 2 letters in the post from the Montessori ahead of the term starting. These were guidelines about how the school is run, procedural information, lunch details etc. Both of these official-styled correspondences were riddled with grammatical and spelling errors. I counted 25 errors in on one page which had no more than 6 paragraphs. It looked as if though some of the more advanced kids at the school had composed the letter as a project.

My concern that there they are doltards at the helm was growing.

Today my son came home and told me he'd learned learnt [Both "learned" and "learnt" are increasingly acceptable in British English use.] all about the solar system at school. He told me there were are 9 planets. I told him there is [Should read "are".] 8, and counted them out to him. He told me I missed Pluto.

I don't expect absolutely everyone to know that Pluto was reclassified some years back and is no longer considered a planet. I do expect a professional educator to know it though.

I don't want to humiliate or embarass the Montessori owner/teacher, but I'm concerned my kid is going to be less wise after the year's years experience than before it. [The original poster's use of "year's" was correct. Your insertion of "years" is incorrect.]

What would you do in my position?

You speak betterer english!

Don't go correcting someone's grammar and syntax on an internet message board and then introduce new errors into it. It's not very nice to have your grammar corrected publicly now, is it?

• Advertisement

To be fair.. It's just a number than got changed 3 years ago. I had to explain it yesterday to a class of 17 year olds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

cruais wrote: »
    Not true boogle. There are colleges that supply degrees in Montessori primary education, aged 3-12 years of age and these degrees are recognised by the department of education and the teachers are registered with the teaching council.

Ok, my bad. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    What about the other planet that The Man doesn't tell you about?

It's always behind Saturn so we can never see it but it's called Conspiro I think and it's probably where they keep all the dinosaurs and aliens and where they take you to probe your anus and whatnot.

I keep some photo's on my whatnot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

It's OK

later on you'll learn about holes , they go from positive to negative but move a lot slower than electrons
    Like I said wait 'till later

Thinly veiled I know more than you post?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

To be fair.. It's just a number than got changed 3 years ago
    OMG they are changing numbers now :eek:

will I have to learn my times tables all over again ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

stoneill wrote: »
    I keep some photo's on my whatnot.

I got my whatnot pierced but it got infected so I had to have the ring removed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

How many photos can you fit on it? Bet you could fit more when it was infected:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

The fact that 4 year olds get the concept of the solar system is impressive. I would lighten up on the school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Hmmm...back in my day kids were taught about how many angels could stand on the top of a pin... I am glad to see things have moved on. The 8v9 - planet question is completely unimportant. If you have a 4yo who understands gravitation then its time to move on quick to fourier transforms while they are still receptive to it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

ah now, we just lost Pluto, and now you're taking the rings from Uranus?

Boombastic wrote: »
    Educate together, if there is none in your area, why not set one one up-that is if you do not want your child learning crap about Jesus, but if you got them baptised then you can't complain about the school teaching them religion as you subscribed to it

* not you personally but in general

Or withdraw your child from religion, they do it with Irish

teaching incorrect science is different than teaching religion
    You don't need to be baptised to get into the school, it'll just put you very last place behind everyone else

All schools should be secular and if you want the religious bit tacked on do it on your own time
    See how smug and insistent all the "catholic" non catholics are when they have to get up on sunday mornings every week to bring them to sunday school

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

bluewolf wrote: »
    You don't need to be baptised to get into the school, it'll just put you very last place behind everyone else

All schools should be secular and if you want the religious bit tacked on do it on your own time
    See how smug and insistent all the "catholic" non catholics are when they have to get up on sunday mornings every week to bring them to sunday school

Yep, but i'd nearly bet my house on it that many of those complaining that the school is teaching their precious darlings about Jesus got them baptised and will be lining them up for the communion and conformation:D

I agree totally about the Sunday School

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Yep, but i'd nearly bet my house on it that many of those complaining that the school is teaching their precious darlings about Jesus got them baptised and will be lining them up for the communion and conformation:D

Is that a freudian slip or a clever pun? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Scioch wrote: »
    Who said scold anyone for asking anything ????? If the kids asks ya tell him the truth but you dont undermines their primary teacher by telling the kid they are wrong and teaching him to second guess everything they say. If your gonna do that you may as well home school them.

They will have time to question and come to their own conclusions later in life but at that age they should trust their teachers.
    What rot. You should teach children to question everything and everyone, don't take anything on faith, and do their own research. Teach them not to accept 'I don't know', and instead to insist on 'lets find out'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

In my experience that 'cultural catholics' are delighted that the schools teach religion because it means they don't have to bother doing it. Some parishes are insisting that such parents have to go to a certain number of masses before their precious darlings can be communed or confirmed. I don't know of anyone who identifies as Catholic, regardless of the fact they don't go to mass/don't actually believe in God/don't follow any of the church's teachings, who complains about religion in schools.

Generally those complaining about religion being taught in schools are atheist, and don't want to get their child baptised, communed or confirmed. Their complaints are more along the lines of "Why do I have to sign my child up for a religion just to get them educated? Everyone says that my child will be ostracised for not making their communion, please advise."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

nineplanets.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

According to wiki, that bastion of accuracy :pac:, it's a dwarf planet. Not quite the same as a regular planet, but still a planet. That's good enough for me. Pluto is still a planet. BOOM!

Advertisement