Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Towering inferno in Dunnes Stores City Square

Options
  • 01-10-2012 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Several appliances in attendance. Faint wispy hint of untold smouldering carnage.

May God help us all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

I walked past there less than 60 minutes ago. I didnt see anything. Although I did hear the fire brigade rolling out at about 11am this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭cb123

I was just going to post something, my house stinks from the smoke, and my road is blocked with fire engines, what happened? I asked the fireman and he just said "Dunnes roof is on fire" How?

Gaaah I always seem to miss everything that happens in this town :mad: now its too late. Pics? vids?

I can just see smoke, it's on the top of the roof, my house isn't high enough (Such a first world problem) It's still happening, quick run, you can make it....

cb123 wrote: »
    I can just see smoke, it's on the top of the roof, my house isn't high enough (Such a first world problem) It's still happening, quick run, you can make it....

Nah im 30 miles away now :pac: Any idea how long ago it started? Because I was literally thinking of going in there to look at clothes at around 13:30 but decided not too, the shop was still open and grand then.

• Advertisement

Nah im 30 miles away now :pac: Any idea how long ago it started? Because I was literally thinking of going in there to look at clothes at around 13:30 but decided not too, the shop was still open and grand then.

Not more than an hour ago, I heard the alarm, thought nothing until I smelled the smoke and then several fire engines showed up and **** got serious! Dunnes is closed now from what I can see.

Just for you, cause I love ya so much (****ing firefighters were looking at me crazy!) Waterford Dunnes Rooftop fire

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

apparently generator blew on the roof

shin

shinzon wrote: »
    apparently generator blew on the roof

shin

That would make sense, the best reason I could come up with was an employee from Dunnes was playing with matches on the roof!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Just walked past, another engine just arriving on the scene. Smoke still coming out of roof.

Here's another one that popped up on my friendface feed http://i.imgur.com/fudMg.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 lianne49

I heard it was really bad,suppose arms and legs are being added on...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭decies

More to the point any ambulances down there?

decies wrote: »
    More to the point any ambulances down there?

No, not that can see! Think everyone is safe....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭deisemum

According to an article on facebook, City Square has reopened

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Just spoke to the misses there now, she's in City Square but Dunnes is still closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Jaysus, if City Square burned down, they'd HAVE to open Ferrybank! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

considering the roof of dunnes was engulfed with flames i dont think that dunnes has any chance of reopening in the next couple of dy. if anything for saftey reasons. what ever about city square itself which would suprise me if its opened right now but dunnes there is not a chance it would be open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭JenniFurr

I was just came home from town and called my mother to say not to bother going into City Square today because it'll likely be closed because the roof of Dunnes caught fire.

Her response: "Great! They'll be having a smoke damage sale!"

I have to admire her optimistic logic.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I'm in City Square a lot these days with work. Alarm went around 2sh at Dunnes. Nobody seemed bothered which is typical enough these days as most people ignore alarms. One of the security guards was talking to some people making a phone call - I assume it was at this stage it was called in. Didn't think much and went away for a while for lunch and then did a quick job for work.

Walking back to get the car and spotted the whole place shut down. Not much smoke but it was coming from the side of the building near the restaurants. Apparently they had already dumped a load of water on it by the time I got there and they were in the building making sure the fire was fully out. Oddly, you could walk up towards the car park from the Quay but if you tried going down the same direction from the side of City Square you were told to go back. A lot of people were, unless you were dressed smartly.

They let people get their cars at about 4pm but you had to queue and pay for your ticket. Word went through the line that they were charging fully - from the time on your ticket to the time you paid! But one of the barriers was open leaving cars out without hassle - you just handed the guy at the barrier your ticket. A lot of people got very annoyed at the thought of having to pay for the two hours or so the car park was closed and climbed under the barriers heading for their cars. One woman who was paying at the time when people abandoned the queue even said it to the lady about how others were getting their cars and not paying. The security guard told people also to do this. Earlier he had said you had to queue up and give them your ticket, that the car park was separate to the shopping center so they had no control.

By the time I got the car and drove up to the barriers, they were no longer up. Most people had paid it seemed, but myself and another car hadn't. We were both let out without hassle but others seemed to be still paying at the office. The car park and the shopping center were open at this stage but the area where the fire was was closed with fire units still there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

sully you always seem to be where the action happens lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

With work, I spent a lot of time in Waterford so I tended to be driving from one place or another and would know a lot of people who would verify a story or fill me in on the craic around town. :) Plus, herself lives there and it was around the time I was in college so most of my friends were also.

But its not been like this for a good while now and it appears there are other regulars on Boards who are more in the know and around when these things happen! I was on this today because I park in City Square every day when I am working. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭TheGormog

The John McClane of Waterford City, always at the wrong place at the wrong time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Dunnes did re open after it

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

Jaysus, if City Square burned down, they'd HAVE to open Ferrybank! :D

or build the Newgate Centre ASAP

// predicts thread being move to Conspiracy Theories forum soon ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

Thats no coincidence ;)

Advertisement