Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathroom overhaul tips

• 01-10-2012 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys.

My wife doesn't like our main bathroom, and wants to give it an overhaul.

There is a crowd in Galway advertising a service to remove an old bathroom, and install a new one, for an all in price of €2799. I'm hoping to do it for less than that, but without sacrificing on quality.

Firstly, I was thinking I could remove the old bathroom myself - is that as straightforward as I imagine? Good idea/bad idea?

Any other tips, money saving or otherwise?

Thanks,

Ronan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Are they re tiling the bathroom for that cost? Will they remove the existing tiles from the floors and walls? Is it run if the mill bathroom suite and accessories you will end up getting off that crowd?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

If you have 2 bathrooms then take out everything in your bathroom yourself and cap off the pipes with push fit fitting. If you have tiles on the wall just pull them down and re slab the wall.

But be warned. This will only save you about a days labour and materials... about 200 euro

It might be bang out of order saying this but i find that the deals like this are usually crap. ie the choice of tiles they offer.

Just remember. If you can manage the refub your self you will save a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Doodoo

When removing tiles cover the bath if your keeping it in an old quilt to avoid cracks and little marks when the tiles fall.
    Install penny valves on toilet, bath and sink water pipes. Saves the hassle of draining the system if ever changing the suite in the future and you can also easily isolate if you ever get leaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Hi Guys.

First of all, apologies for the silence - my notification emails must be getting caught in a spam filter because I haven't seen any. Anyway...
    Are they re tiling the bathroom for that cost? Will they remove the existing tiles from the floors and walls? Is it run if the mill bathroom suite and accessories you will end up getting off that crowd?

Apparently that figure is just ballpark they put out there - it really depends on a whole load of variables. Kindof pointless I guess, but it got me into the showroom so I suppose that's all they want.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

If you have 2 bathrooms then take out everything in your bathroom yourself and cap off the pipes with push fit fitting. If you have tiles on the wall just pull them down and re slab the wall.

But be warned. This will only save you about a days labour and materials... about 200 euro

It might be bang out of order saying this but i find that the deals like this are usually crap. ie the choice of tiles they offer.

I agree,sometimes these deals are crap.

Its a case of .."heres 4 different tiles,pick 1 of them and that whats going on the walls and floor".

I hate these deals.:mad:

• Advertisement

You can pick up some fantastic deals on bathroom sinks,baths,furniture and fittings in the builders providers.

I got a lovely wallnut Sonas Oslo cabinet and bath sink for 200 euro,it should have been 270 euro,but I got a great deal from the local builders providers.

Some great deals to be had out there.

Ikea also do some good bathroom furniture and sinks too,but it might not be to everyones taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Thanks Joey.

If removing it myself only saves about 200, and there's a fair chance I'd mess it up somehow, I'll probably just leave that part to the experts.

One question - when you say "manage the refurb yourself", do you mean co-ordinating tiler/plumber/electrician etc., or do you mean actually doing some of the work myself?

Usher Bathrooms in Balycoolin have a fantastic range of bathroom products.

Very helpfull staff out there.You have to buy through a bathroom shop or a builders providers,but the staff in Usher will get stuff out of the warehouse for you to view,before you commit to buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Quick Q for Joey, do those push fit fittings do for capping pipes off permanently?

ronan45 wrote: »
    Quick Q for Joey, do those push fit fittings do for capping pipes off permanently?

They are very good.

You can buy compression caps or weld on caps with a scew cap.:)

• Advertisement

I would not unless i had access to the fitting for example under a bath or sink. but yes you can

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

I would not unless i had access to the fitting for example under a bath or sink. but yes you can

Reason I ask is I got rid of a rad and cut the qualpex pipe capped it with one of those push on stoppers and plastered over where the capped pipe stump was. Hope it doesnt fail behind the wall. it will be a right mess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Reason I ask is I got rid of a rad and cut the qualpex pipe capped it with one of those push on stoppers and plastered over where the capped pipe stump was. Hope it doesnt fail behind the wall. it will be a right mess

Fine once you don't use them near nail clips

and once you put an insert into the qualpex. You need to use an insert with push fit. This is a common mistake. When the pressure changes on the heating it might give you trouble if you did not use one.

Advertisement