Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External Hard Drive Recycle Bin

Options
  • 01-10-2012 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭

I'm trying to delete files in my external hard drive $Recycle.Bin folder, and its proving impossible! Everytime I delete the files its saying I don't have 'sufficiant privileges' to do so?

Anyone know how to permanently delete these files?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

yeah? wrote: »
    I'm trying to delete files in my external hard drive $Recycle.Bin folder, and its proving impossible! Everytime I delete the files its saying I don't have 'sufficiant privileges' to do so?

Anyone know how to permanently delete these files?

Right click on the folder>Properties>Security>Choose your user and choose full control. Now apply and you should be able to remove the folder

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭yeah?

Not really sure how to do that on a Mac (which is also quite old... OS X 10.4.11)
    Thank you though I'll keep trying to find that..
    if it helps the owenership&permissions states 'You can only read'

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

Do you also use the drive on a Windows machine?

If so you may need to delete it from the windows machine as $Recycle.Bin sounds like a windows directory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭yeah?

When I fist got it yeah it was a windows laptop, now Im operating Mac; I can try on someone elses laptop. Thank you!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

If it is formatted in NTFS you only have read access without a third party driver, this is probably the best free one about for OSX 10.4.

http://download.cnet.com/NTFS-3G/3000-2094_4-10913782.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

yeah? wrote: »
    When I fist got it yeah it was a windows laptop, now Im operating Mac; I can try on someone elses laptop. Thank you!

Should be able to remove it in Terminal as a su. Try su rm $recycle.bin on in the location where the recycle.bin folder lies. $name means a system file in Unix, so it's possible you can't remove them files on a Mac not as a super user. Not sure about Macs much tbh though!

Nick

Advertisement