Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iMAGINE ARTS FESTIVAL 19-29 oct

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Meh, music line up looks awful and that's all I'm into!
    Fair enough about the rest, I haven't interest so can't comment, I remember a few years ago they got Mercury Rev to play Electric Avenue ,that was class.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

With the cuts in funding that they have to deal with, we're lucky there is any festival! Please try & support it if at all possible & of course spread the word!

P.S. I'm not involved in running it, just an admirer!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 orwellian

As in i couldn't Imagine a worse music line up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Justin_Brophey

What are you talking about. Katie Kim is a local artist that has national and international recognition, she tours with and plays with the Waterboys, O emperor are some of the most talented musicians and song writers in Ireland and the two of them are from Waterford. No wonder there is not much of a live music scene in Waterford any more. If you can't support your local talent you don't really deserve an arts group with very little funding to go and blow all of it on a big international act.

As for the line up in the church. They have Cat Dowling who is not that big yet but her new album is tipped to be very big. Also she has support by Deaf joe who is a local guy that is extremely talented and writes some great tracks an his band are amazing musicians as well with the majority of them been local.

I think any of these bands would put it up to Mercury Rev now a days.

By the way I am not involved with the festival in any way. I am just a music lover from Waterford who is sick of peoples attitude. If you want to see big bands go and give your money to
    MCD, if you want to see cover bands go and give your money to local publicans but if you want to see local and national talent at its best start going to these smaller gigs, That are generaly better than any of the gigs you have to pay €30 to €60 euro to see in a big venue in Dublin.

Sorry for poor spelling I am on my phone and it's poor at its best.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭some_dose

What are you talking about. Katie Kim is a local artist that has national and international recognition, she tours with and plays with the Waterboys, O emperor are some of the most talented musicians and song writers in Ireland and the two of them are from Waterford. No wonder there is not much of a live music scene in Waterford any more. If you can't support your local talent you don't really deserve an arts group with very little funding to go and blow all of it on a big international act.

As for the line up in the church. They have Cat Dowling who is not that big yet but her new album is tipped to be very big. Also she has support by Deaf joe who is a local guy that is extremely talented and writes some great tracks an his band are amazing musicians as well with the majority of them been local.

I think any of these bands would put it up to Mercury Rev now a days.

By the way I am not involved with the festival in any way. I am just a music lover from Waterford who is sick of peoples attitude. If you want to see big bands go and give your money to
    MCD, if you want to see cover bands go and give your money to local publicans but if you want to see local and national talent at its best start going to these smaller gigs, That are generaly better than any of the gigs you have to pay €30 to €60 euro to see in a big venue in Dublin.

Sorry for poor spelling I am on my phone and it's poor at its best.

They are all from Waterford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Justin_Brophey

Have you actually looked at the Line up ? Yes the Bands I talked about are from waterford apart from Cat Dowling. The only bands from waterford to play the whole thing are the three waterford bands that I talked about.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 deiseabu

Cat Dowling is from Newrath, just over the river

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Eroticplants

I'm VERY excited to see Katie Kim, I caught her at Electric Picnic this year and she blew me away.
    Not a big fan of O Emperor but that's just me.
    Looking forward to seeing Cat Dowling too.
    I'm impressed anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Ye'd be complaining they weren't supporting local acts if they had bands from elsewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Have you actually looked at the Line up ? Yes the Bands I talked about are from waterford apart from Cat Dowling. The only bands from waterford to play the whole thing are the three waterford bands that I talked about.

I'm guessing he was just pointing out that all five of the O Emperor lads are from Waterford, not just two of them as you stated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭kensutz

nkay1985 wrote: »
    I'm guessing he was just pointing out that all five of the O Emperor lads are from Waterford, not just two of them as you stated.

Fact! The soundest 5 lads you could ever meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Cabbage_Head

If they had gotten bands from different parts of the country people would give out about how there were no Waterford bands playing at it. You just can't please some people!

O Emperor are one of the best Irish bands out there at the moment imo and would much rather go to see them then to go see the same oul drivel being played on the radio every day such as Ryan Sheridan etc. (not to knock him, he's good at what he does but you know what i mean)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Seen all these acts and I can safely say they are not up to much bar maybe o emperor. I can see these acts most of the time anyway so it's not really going to entice me in to see it really is it? Now this is how you do a musical line up for a proper festival.

http://www.guinnessjazzfestival.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭curly.bert

Seen all these acts and I can safely say they are not up to much bar maybe o emperor. I can see these acts most of the time anyway so it's not really going to entice me in to see it really is it? Now this is how you do a musical line up for a proper festival.

http://www.guinnessjazzfestival.com/

Are you some kind of troll? That is a ridiculous comparison. Guinness Jazz is one of the most well-funded festivals in Ireland. Some great acts on over the Imagine Festival. As well as Katie Kim, O Emperor and Deaf Joe, I'd thoroughly recommend Wallis Bird. One of the best live performers I've ever seen.

Best of luck to the Imagine. (Disclaimer: I'm not involved with the festival, but did a few bits for them a number of years ago. /Disclaimer)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Eroticplants

Anyone have any idea where the box office is?

Advertisement