Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycle tracks

• 01-10-2012 3:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭

Fed up of cycle tracks?

I made the following video to send to the local authority, not that I actually expect any result from it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pgoS4f96TA

The thing is, €21.7 million has now been allocated for "improvement" of cycling and walking facilities under the Smarter Travel programme. I fear this money will be entirely wasted building more of the same garbage.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Don't live in IRL but over 20 years or more when they started with those crappy cycle paths in Dublin ie taking over a bit of the footpath. I said to my cycling pals.

Either get some Dutch engineers over and do it right or don't bother and send the money to Africa.

In general the Irish cyclepaths are rubbish, give me the open road any day.

Well done OP on your video.

I say in jest,;) we need a war to flatten the whole place and start again.;)

Finally some of the inner city Belgian cyclepaths are rubbish but atleast the cyclist has right of way while crossing over lesser roads.

Rant over for what its worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭buffalo

I sent an email this morning to DCC about a few cycle tracks that I find particularly bothersome - Seville Place (way too narrow in parts), Belvedere Road (completely ignored in evening rush hour), and Inchicore Road (often blocked by taxis and buses, but legally sometimes). Also pointed out that the lights at the junction at the north end of the Clontarf promenade track are triggered by cars, so at the end of one of our most pleasant facilities, a cyclist can be left waiting for several minutes. What about my Strava segments?!

Will update the political action thread if/when I get a response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭opti0nal

rdhma wrote: »

The thing is, €21.7 million has now been allocated for "improvement" of cycling and walking facilities under the Smarter Travel programme. I fear this money will be entirely wasted building more of the same garbage.
    Indeed, they're putting down new paint as we speak.

The gates to the Fairview park cycle track were locked this morning.

Until they reform the cycle track laws and then get the councils to follow them, more paint will be wasted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭kingoffifa

buffalo wrote: »
    What about my Strava segments?!

lol!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Greenman wrote: »
    Finally some of the inner city Belgian cyclepaths are rubbish but atleast the cyclist has right of way while crossing over lesser roads.
    Just back from a few days in Munich - the (mandatory) cycle paths there, although generally wider, better engineered and free from debris, have most of the same problems as Irish ones: keeping cyclists in door zones, blind spots, and crossing side roads and driveways. But at least the German police recognize this (see below) and you can legitimately argue that using the lane would endanger your safety.
    Verkehrsunfälle mit Radfahrern

Der Polizeipräsident in Berlin. Berlin Police, Germany, 1987.

Berlin Police study 1981 to 1985.
    Cyclists 4 times more likely to have accident on roads with cycle paths. Likelihood of serious or fatal injury similarly increased.

• Advertisement
Advertisement