Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People boasting about how much work they do.

• 01-10-2012 3:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭2ygb4cmqetsjhx

What is that about? My colleagues love to boast about how they sometimes worked 3 days and slept in the office trying to get the development of software finished on time. They were looking for praise. However instead I just told them that the whole thing is retarded.

Similarily had this in college. Lads always saying they were stressed and up to their eyeballs in work. Why? Who gives a ****? It's not something to be proud of In fact it makes you look a bit stupid. Do you have colleagues who love to boast about how overworked they are. What is with these goons who are married to the job?

TL,DR -- People are pretty stupid.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

So all work and no play really does make Jack a dull boy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

However instead I just told them that the whole thing is retarded.

I can't believe you had the balls to say that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Feeona wrote: »
    I can't believe you had the balls to say that.

Oh you better, he even came all the way over here to tell us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Slurryface

What is that about? My colleagues love to boast about how they sometimes worked 3 days and slept in the office trying to get the development of software finished on time. They were looking for praise. However instead I just told them that the whole thing is retarded.

Similarily had this in college. Lads always saying they were stressed and up to their eyeballs in work. Why? Who gives a ****? It's not something to be proud of In fact it makes you look a bit stupid. Do you have colleagues who love to boast about how overworked they are. What is with these goons who are married to the job?

Pretty obvious who the retarded goon is OP, and it ain't any of your colleagues!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Hard work is fine as long as it isnt in vain

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I'm too busy here in office to read all of that. Can someone summarise it succinctly below for me going forward FYI.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

Have to agree with this point, I used to work up to 14 hour days and it was ridiculous. It was always a case of "oh sure we all work these hours". Just because some sad farts had nothing better to do than hang around the office a lot of us that wanted to go home couldn't because the precedent had been well set. I don't see why anyone would be proud to boast to their mates that their job sucks and act like its a right of passage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I'm under worked and over paid. The way it should be. In fact I think i'll pack up and head on home :)
    (is this better)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I'm too busy here in office to read all of that. Can someone summarise it succinctly below for me going forward FYI.

Thanks.

Quit slacking and get back to work :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

A bit of overtime / extra work to meet a deadline is a requirement of almost any job and is at times totally necessary in order to get the work done.

However, constantly doing this is a fruitless exercise because at a certain point people reach the point of diminishing returns. There is only so many hours you can do a week before your time at the desk becomes not only unproductive but also becomes a danger to your well being and health. And that is no good to anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

AnonoBoy wrote: »

Thanks.

Word a day calender paying for it's self brah !!!

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,608 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Pfft N00bs. When you are really experienced in your job, you can learn to surf boards all day, get paid to do your turds and give all your family random stationary as gifts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

Mehhh those are people that just want their life to sound exciting, hectic and busy. :rolleyes:

Once worked with a girl who was like this.
    Every time on break she would talk about how busy she was, how she didn't get a chance to have lunch , how she stayed and worked so late last night, how she was working from home over the weekend.

Her section was short staffed one day so I had to work right beside her. Truth was, the girl done NOTHING. Her job consisted of reporting a few problems like lights, heating etc she would spend her day hounding the guys who looked after this, and printing and photo copying a few things.
    Not much to it really.

The way she use to go you would swear she was the MD who ran the place :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Sometimes I like to boast about how little work I do....just never to my boss!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    Mehhh those are people that just want their life to sound exciting, hectic and busy. :rolleyes:

Once worked with a girl who was like this.
    Every time on break she would talk about how busy she was, how she didn't get a chance to have lunch , how she stayed and worked so late last night, how she was working from home over the weekend.

Her section was short staffed one day so I had to work right beside her. Truth was, the girl done NOTHING. Her job consisted of reporting a few problems like lights, heating etc she would spend her day hounding the guys who looked after this, and printing and photo copying a few things.
    Not much to it really.

The way she use to go you would swear she was the MD who ran the place :rolleyes:

There is a name for people like this you know.....she is what is commonly known in the 'Employment World' as a 'Geebag'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Nippledragon

In my line of work (architecture) you get people who go on about how they had to stay in working until midnight etc...They try to make it sound like they are so important to the companies they work for. They don't get paid for it, and get little, if any thanks.

Act like a donkey, get treated like a donkey if you ask me....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

I procrastinate a lot about work I need to do - does that count?

hey everyone I'm bad at scheduling and so inefficient I can't do my job in the hours allotted. That or my management is so bad I'm actually loudly advertising their uselessness at assigning tasks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Similarily had this in college. Lads always saying they were stressed and up to their eyeballs in work. Why? Who gives a ****? It's not s of something to be proud of In fact it makes you look a bit stupid. Do you have colleagues who love to boast about how overworked they are. What is with these goons who are married to the job?

WOW, you put a lot of work into that post.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 circleskane

self inflicted - I feel sorry for him as he thinks he's gaining something from it too and then expecting the praise from you and other co-workers.

he will receive no thanks for killing himself working at the end of the day, and in most cases not even a promotion or a higher pay packet. he is sacrificing his health, free time and quality of life, and for what?

in saying that I can understand that some people are brought up like this and some people use working too hard to avoid doing other things.. I just hope he sees the light soon and relaxes before he gives himself a hernia!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I can shuffle papers at the drop of a hat when the need arises, no-one's going to call me a lazy fucker.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

If someone can't do their job within the required hours, then they must be incompetent, why would they want to come across that way? Our boss works all hours, bringing stuff home etc...always moaning about all he has to do, never seen the bate of it tbh...could do the job with my eyes closed...within the 38.5hours. Give me a break, these people haven't a clue how ridiculous they seem. People only think 'saddo, no life'.

Like doctors and nurses, I get that, that's necessary and due partly to understaffing but office and retail types looking for praise...get a life please, it's painful watching and listening to ye!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

antodeco wrote: »
    Pfft N00bs. When you are really experienced in your job, you can learn to surf boards all day, get paid to do your turds and give all your family random stationary as gifts.

I'd like to see you in my office Anthony Declan.
    -Your Boss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I love work. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

If someone can't do their job within the required hours, then they must be incompetent, why would they want to come across that way? Our boss works all hours, bringing stuff home etc...always moaning about all he has to do, never seen the bate of it tbh...could do the job with my eyes closed...within the 38.5hours. Give me a break, these people haven't a clue how ridiculous they seem. People only think 'saddo, no life'.

Like doctors and nurses, I get that, that's necessary and due partly to understaffing but office and retail types looking for praise...get a life please, it's painful watching and listening to ye!

You obviously only think that you do enough. The boss has to take work home to make up for the work that his employees don't do when they're supposed to be working.:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Slurryface wrote: »
    Pretty obvious who the retarded goon is OP, and it ain't any of your colleagues!

There used to be a lad who posted on these forums a lot not so long ago, and believe me when I tell you, he was an awful díckhead, he was being a díckhead so much he ended up getting banned, and nobody missed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭spankysue

Ask them if they want a medal OP, I know from experience that this makes people like that shut the fcuk up :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

ejmaztec wrote: »
    You obviously only think that you do enough. The boss has to take work home to make up for the work that his employees don't do when they're supposed to be working.:(

Nope, not in our place of work at least. It's all arse licking with him I'm afraid, doing stuff totally outside his roles and responsibilities, stuff that is never asked of him to TRY and please his area manager who just replies to emails with 'fine' 'ok' 'right' no thanks or nothing....point is he fails to carry out the duties that he is mean't to be doing and thus has been on warning already to get his act together and this was DURING all his bringing home etc...convinced he's right and the rest of us are all wrong...pity we just have to carry on and carry his work while we are at it for half the salary
    And anyway, what's your point like, surely a manager should be able to tell an employee that they are not carrying them and get their finger out...only an idiot would bring someone elses work home and do it for them...odd presumption to make

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭RossyG

It's drummed into people that excessive work is virtuous. Those who boast about long hours are just saying, "Look at me; I'm a good little boy. I do as I'm told".

They are tools in the hands of exploiters and need to rethink their lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I worked too hard for years and laughed at how unproductive public services and other businesses were. Then I realised that productivity makes little difference to the company and it would not be better if everyone worked the way I did.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

My workload recently made me very unwell indeed. I don't boast about it but I often unwind with my mates swapping stories about our **** jobs.

What to do? I have to pay the bills and keep a roof over my head, so I stick with it. In these days of economic angst, you can't just ditch it and hope to pick up another gig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭gambithh

I have a mate that boasts he is flat out working in a full time job and every evening he is doing nixers flat out every night after (he is a tradesman)
    He always boasts about how much money he is making but is "cursed" because he has no time to spend it too busy working.is this an irish thing?

in reality he works part time 20 hours a week and has nothing to show for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

People who boast about how hard they're working can be very hard to take, really, really annoying. Up there with people who took a summer job the year before they did the Leaving Cert and in their twenties and even thirties talk about their youths in a way that would leave one thinking they had spent years working in coal mines.
    While boasters are very hard to take, one consolation is that the boasting is generally born out of insecurity and people who engage in it very often have problems dealing with others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I'm a public servant and sometimes i manage to squeeze in a little bit of work between tea breaks

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

Could be bawling about how much work they do... which is worse.

Boasting, suggests they like their job and that's the ideal of taking one up in the first place. im just glad i don't have to listen to him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

All that working all night thing, I hear that from the likes of google workers, one told me how they worked for over 5 hours extra one night but how they got pizza delivered and paid for by google, I just said to him you could buy a lot of pizza if you got your 5 hours overtime paid.

I really wasn't trying to piss him off, just wanted him to have a bit a cop on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,556 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

RossyG wrote: »
    It's drummed into people that excessive work is virtuous.

There's truth in this. My Father had the 'Christian Brothers' Catholic work ethic' beaten into him. He creates work for himself just to have something to do. Even sitting on front of the TV he would have to find some way of justifying it in his own head as a rest period before the next bit of WURK. And it has to be said like that, 'WURK', loudly and proudly, like the bark of a dog.

Perhaps it was down to the paternalism of employers back in the day. But I've never felt that way.
    Any employer I've worked for was likely to drop me the second it made financial sense so the attitude I've taken has always been that my loyalty is equal to the sum of my next pay cheque.
    Of course, I know not every company is the same, particularly small companies where the owner and the employee are in direct contact and everyone is a friend.

But, if you're putting in mental hours for a company that doesn't recognise you as any more than an employee number you only have yourself to blame when it's not rewarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭Jmccoy1

spankysue wrote: »
    Ask them if they want a medal OP, I know from experience that this makes people like that shut the fcuk up :D

Nice :D I do that with a little slant. I start rummaging and procrastinate a little. When the 'work warrior' says "What are you looking for ?" I reply with "Jebus. Where's that damn box of medals ?".

Advertisement