Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internships

Options
  • 01-10-2012 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Do you guys think there is a chance of getting paid internship somehow after college with minimum design industry experience?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

medinka wrote: »
    Do you guys think there is a chance of getting paid internship somehow after college with minimum design industry experience?

To be honest friend, it's tough. Speaking for myself, I went through FAS and got a job 5 days a week for the same money I would get on the dole. There was one or two particular places that took interns on through the FAS scheme so I got a placement. Most of my friends followed suit. We got our 2 years experience (the FAS scheme runs out after 9 months or so after which time it is up to the employer whether to keep you or not, most just get a new intern to save themselves money) after which I left as I was on very poor wages, but luckily enough I am working somewhere I love now for the same money, but being happy in my job is so important to me.

A lot of places don't have the money to take people on and a lot of print houses might have designers on the books but don't charge customers for 'design' which makes it harder again to keep a job.

My advice would be to keep working on your portfolio where possible, practice as much as possible on InDesign, Illustrator, Dreamweaver etc. Be ready to slot straight in somewhere if needs be, and try not to focus on the money, the experience will have to come first, so if possible stay at home with family and try save money.

Advertisement